Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1.    #381  
    Dieter has just posted this article, and in it he says:

" In particular, they did mention that there will be no backwards-compatibility out of the box with previous PalmOS software, but that "it could be possible with 3rd party work."
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I disagree
    [snip!]
    Card Reader: Don't Care
    8GB is fine - I have a separate MP3 Player/Video Player anyway

[snip!]
    wait for the next round of devices........
    Hm, my first reaction on the card reader front was about the capacity, too, but then I, too, have separate devices with greater capacity or bigger screens for music and video.

The big deal for me is just the removability. That way, if I back up my data/apps/call history/messaging history onto the card, I can be up and running on another phone with a single restore.

...but who am I kidding? other rounds of this device will probably still catch my eye when they come out...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    all Palm has done here is WOW you with pretty pictures moving across a screen.

if you remove that and REALLY think about it.. you have the some ol palm CRAP.

I still like palm.. I love my treo pro.. but there is nothing whatsoever revolutionary here. infact they've REMOVED things instead of adding them.

no dpad

same crap pebble keyboard

same finger print magnet body

no card reader

1 more megapxl on the camer (gee... wow)

8gb storage (my microsd card holds 16)

no more infra-red (sorry real estate agents)

no more dedicated buttons (wifi, etc) was their a side vol control?

no more hard buttons, instead a touch surface that I bet you will activate a LOT when you are not wanting to.

same typical palm release.. lacking..

youre all fooled by the pretty moving pictures.
    I don't know how anyone but the most jaded and bitter smartphone user could not be impressed with this device. (at least with what we've seen so far)

Palm appears to be on the verge of releasing the most impressive device in their history, and you're worried about fingerprints and real estate agents? What is the world coming to... Can we not at least bask in the glow of hope and excitement for a week or 2 before the negative nancy's start complaining?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Dieter has just posted this article, and in it he says:

" In particular, they did mention that there will be no backwards-compatibility out of the box with previous PalmOS software, but that "it could be possible with 3rd party work."
    "Developing for the Palm webOS"

I would guess they would do everything they can to encourage developers to get on board.
    Just call me Berd.
    all Palm has done here is WOW you with pretty pictures moving across a screen.

if you remove that and REALLY think about it.. you have the some ol palm CRAP.

I still like palm.. I love my treo pro.. but there is nothing whatsoever revolutionary here. infact they've REMOVED things instead of adding them.

no dpad
    What do you really need it for? All videos show that the UI is very intuitive. Games maybe? The iPhone doesn't have a dpad and I don't hear any of them complaining about it. Look how many games the iPhone has.

same crap pebble keyboard
    um, pretty much the same one thats been on palm phones for how long? And you use a Treo Pro with a keyboard more cramped than on the Pre.

same finger print magnet body
    Is this really an excuse any more? A swipe across my t-shirt and looky there - all clean!

no card reader
    Possibly your best point of the entire post. I understand why they chose to do it this way though.

1 more megapxl on the camer (gee... wow)
    Yeah, its a camera on a freakin' phone. Not a Canon 50D.

8gb storage (my microsd card holds 16)
    Could have been more, yes. But it is the first version. How large was the first iphone?

no more infra-red (sorry real estate agents)
    Poor real estate agents. They'll just have to jump into this new digital age with the rest of us.

no more dedicated buttons (wifi, etc) was their a side vol control?
    what, no wifi button?! thats it, i'm not buying it! grrrr. oh, and yes there is side vol controls.

no more hard buttons, instead a touch surface that I bet you will activate a LOT when you are not wanting to.
    yeah because I bet they forgot to build in a screen lock. those fools.

same typical palm release.. lacking..

youre all fooled by the pretty moving pictures.
    i always was a sucker for the pretty girls
    read about this tech before. For devices that were not built around the tech, you would need a special plate or add on to get the charging. For devices created around it, it would be built in. The theory behind it is that the charging capability would be built in at hotels, airplanes, cars and so on where you would no longer need an external charger for anything. Imagine having a rental car with the Touchstone charger built in. You just stick it on your center console as it's held by magnets. Hotels have Touchstone pads on their night stands. ProClip makes a touchstone plate for their car holders and so on. It's the first truly universal (since you have USB, mini usb, micro usb) charging method. The more devices it gets built into, the more useful it is. Of course you'd still need USB to connect and do things between PC and device, but from a pure charging and battery life point of view, it's definitely the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX View Post
    Although according to the Palm page for the Touchstone, I get the impression this is a separate device and not included. It would appear you also need a special backplate for the Pre to use the Touchstone, although details on the site are sketchy.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    are you that one dimensional? html, java are just the language it's written in. There's no rule that says you have to be connected for the program to work. Have you had a positive thing to say yet? Every post I've read from you in this thread is all b*tch, b*tch, b*tch. Sound worse than my grandmother.

you should not have to rely on the web for functionality for your phone.

thats RETARDED.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    What do you really need it for? All videos show that the UI is very intuitive. Games maybe? The iPhone doesn't have a dpad and I don't hear any of them complaining about it. Look how many games the iPhone has.

um, pretty much the same one thats been on palm phones for how long? And you use a Treo Pro with a keyboard more cramped than on the Pre.

Is this really an excuse any more? A swipe across my t-shirt and looky there - all clean!

Possibly your best point of the entire post. I understand why they chose to do it this way though.

Yeah, its a camera on a freakin' phone. Not a Canon 50D.

Could have been more, yes. But it is the first version. How large was the first iphone?

Poor real estate agents. They'll just have to jump into this new digital age with the rest of us.

what, no wifi button?! thats it, i'm not buying it! grrrr. oh, and yes there is side vol controls.

yeah because I bet they forgot to build in a screen lock. those fools.

i always was a sucker for the pretty girls
    The d-pad would be useful for games, like you suggest, but also for other apps that people will still find useful and that wouldn't necessarily lend themselves, very well, to the swipe and swoosh method of interfacing and inputting.

I'll add that I'm concerned about how hard it may be to highlight text (and thus, to copy/paste it).

But I remain excited and hopeful.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Speaking of iPhone games that do just fine without a d-pad equivalent... No thanks.

If I had to choose between playing my games by angling my device back and forth or just using a directional controller of some sort, I'd go for the latter. No contest.

There's a certain novelty to those iGames, but iThinkNot.
    If you need a game machine buy a damn psp and leave the smartphones to the people who need them for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    If you need a game machine buy a damn psp and leave the smartphones to the people who need them for business.
    There's so much wrong with this post, that I hardly know where to begin.
    How do you quickly and easily navigate from field to field within an application without a d-pad? Think about creating a contact record.... I don't want to have to keep going back and forth from the keyboard to touching the screen to move around to the fields that I want to type in. It seems like it will slow down data entry significantly. On a Treo or Centro you can move your thumb(s) from the keyboard to the d-pad and back very quickly with out having to reposition the phone in your hand. I don't see how that will work as easily on the Pre. Am I missing something here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very impressed with the Pre / webOS in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    How do you quickly and easily navigate from field to field within an application without a d-pad? Think about creating a contact record.... I don't want to have to keep going back and forth from the keyboard to touching the screen to move around to the fields that I want to type in. It seems like it will slow down data entry significantly. On a Treo or Centro you can move your thumb(s) from the keyboard to the d-pad and back very quickly with out having to reposition the phone in your hand. I don't see how that will work as easily on the Pre. Am I missing something here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very impressed with the Pre / webOS in general.
    Oh, no. I get you. I've raised similar concerns. I've just got my fingers crossed that there's some simple solution that won't interfere with the swiping and swooshing that makes the phone work.
    "There's so much wrong with this post, that I hardly know where to begin."

Begin with that the main purpose of the phones was never to play games. I much prefer the clean look of no dpad. If that means game play on the phone suffers, so be it. Pull out your PSP
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    "There's so much wrong with this post, that I hardly know where to begin."

Begin with that the main purpose of the phones was never to play games. I much prefer the clean look of no dpad. If that means game play on the phone suffers, so be it. Pull out your PSP
    This would almost be half of a start of a worthwhile statement... except that my point was never limited to games.

By the way, when the conversation loses civility, I lose interest.
    Fair enough, I prefer civility as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Oh, no. I get you. I've raised similar concerns. I've just got my fingers crossed that there's some simple solution that won't interfere with the swiping and swooshing that makes the phone work.
    A couple (very few, so it could be wrong) sites I found mentioned a trackball. They could be confusing the center button with a trackball, but it could maybe possibly have that functionality as well.

I doubt it, but it'd be nice for navigating text boxes like you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    looks a lot like the iPhone.
    it's certainly not iphone looking to me
    Quote Originally Posted by daniela View Post
    it's certainly not iphone looking to me
    me either.

It's Hot!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    looks a lot like the iPhone.
    Rounded edges and a sliding QWERTY keyboard! Sure it does.