Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Y'know, my initial reaction was a gut-level reaction of not wanting to be limited to what they think I need...

...but then I realized that since I use my iPod Classic for music and my laptop for video, I don't really use my 755p and its card for either music or video...and the big storage isn't so crucial, really...

...but that what is most crucial for me is the removability of the storage. *That's* what takes away my fears about my phone breaking for whatever reason. I have a daily scheduled backup of the phone, and I can do manual backups whenever I feel the need, so basically, if my phone implodes or *whatever*, as long as the card is intact, all/most my info and history is intact.

...Is there that kind of peace of mind available otherwise? Hm, maybe most of it would be available if I synced my phone via hotsync every day...but my hotsync hasn't been working for most of a year, for various reasons, including going to vista, so that's not an option...

...What about other phones? iPhone anyone? Blackberry? Is there any such safety net for if you need to swap phones?
    It really depends what you mean by "back-up" - I don't synch my wm device at all with a cable but via active sync. A couple of weeks ago, I lost my phone while I was at a hotel - what use is the ability to sync to a machine that is two thousands miles away?

I got my diary and contacts from outlook web access and when the phone company give me a new phone (the next day), I put the exchange settings in and blam - all my information is there.

Now the next bit is apps - the new device is going to have an inbuilt app store, if the phone dies, you'll download the apps again from there.

As for other bits of information... dunno...
    all Palm has done here is WOW you with pretty pictures moving across a screen.

if you remove that and REALLY think about it.. you have the some ol palm CRAP.

I still like palm.. I love my treo pro.. but there is nothing whatsoever revolutionary here. infact they've REMOVED things instead of adding them.

no dpad

same crap pebble keyboard

same finger print magnet body

no card reader

1 more megapxl on the camer (gee... wow)

8gb storage (my microsd card holds 16)

no more infra-red (sorry real estate agents)

no more dedicated buttons (wifi, etc) was their a side vol control?

no more hard buttons, instead a touch surface that I bet you will activate a LOT when you are not wanting to.

same typical palm release.. lacking..

youre all fooled by the pretty moving pictures.
    -tgwaste
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    No I don't think so - I see a device that is communication and connectivity heavy and that suits me fine. I mean

no more infra-red
    No Infra-red? Who is producing devices with infra-red in 2009? Maybe you think it needs a pull-up aerial?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    No I don't think so - I see a device that is communication and connectivity heavy and that suits me fine. I mean

No Infra-red? Who is producing devices with infra-red in 2009? Maybe you think it needs a pull-up aerial?

all PDAs are 'communication and connectivity heavy'.. nothing new here.

infra-red is a very popular item amongst real estate agents.
    -tgwaste
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    all PDAs are 'communication and connectivity heavy'.. nothing new here.
    Sigh.. the devil is in the detail, it's not what you do, it's how you do it. For example - (if it works as promised) - when I look at my communications with bob across outlook, gmail, facebook, sms - I don't have to open up a series of apps - it's aggregated for me under his details all of those communications. When you think about it, that's an obvious thing to happen on a mobile device but it's never been done by any other mobile developers - it's those sorts of jumps that have got people worked up.

Well they are **** out of luck, palm isn't producing a Real estate agent edition, this is a mainstream communication device for the masses.
    honestly some of the nitpicks of the phone are getting funny. Blasting for not having an infared. At some point you have to target your phone to a mass of people not a select subgroup. This will definately have mass appeal. The synergy aspect of contacts, the web and messaging I would use much more than the infared scanner. If you don't like the new device, its your choice not to buy it. Give the thing a chance, if it can do all the things like in the presentation videos, offer a good phone, great web experience, and a useable keyboard, then this hits the sweet spot for many.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It really depends what you mean by "back-up" - I don't synch my wm device at all with a cable but via active sync. A couple of weeks ago, I lost my phone while I was at a hotel - what use is the ability to sync to a machine that is two thousands miles away?

I got my diary and contacts from outlook web access and when the phone company give me a new phone (the next day), I put the exchange settings in and blam - all my information is there.

Now the next bit is apps - the new device is going to have an inbuilt app store, if the phone dies, you'll download the apps again from there.

As for other bits of information... dunno...
    Well, one interesting/important set of info that wouldn't be covered by the synching (and you're totally right about the thousands of miles away problem) and re-downloading methods you brought up is call history and text history, both of which I use a *ton*, and either of which could change as I walk up to the Sprint store door (I've taken to turning the radio off after I get set to wait or get set to hand the phone over to the tech...that way, no texts will come in after my backup ('cept if the tech needs to turn it on...hm...) and before I get the newly working phone into my grubby little hands on the other side of the repair).

:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    honestly some of the nitpicks of the phone are getting funny. Blasting for not having an infared....[snip!]....
    Waitaminnit...as potentially silly as it might sound for blasting them for removing the infrared...I guess that means no "beaming" contact or whatever info/apps between phones... But I guess there's still Bluetooth for that, eh?
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    honestly some of the nitpicks of the phone are getting funny. Blasting for not having an infared. At some point you have to target your phone to a mass of people not a select subgroup. This will definately have mass appeal. The synergy aspect of contacts, the web and messaging I would use much more than the infared scanner. If you don't like the new device, its your choice not to buy it. Give the thing a chance, if it can do all the things like in the presentation videos, offer a good phone, great web experience, and a useable keyboard, then this hits the sweet spot for many.

Which is the point - Palm isn't suppose to be turning out devices to appeal to only small niche audiences and (with respect) Palm OS old timers - I was talking on another thread how the device how to wow people when they played with in the shop - this will wow people when they work in the shop AND all of the communications steps they have taken (threaded aggregated communications) seem obvious when you think about it but so obvious nobody else has done them
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Waitaminnit...as potentially silly as it might sound for blasting them for removing the infrared...I guess that means no "beaming" contact or whatever info/apps between phones... But I guess there's still Bluetooth for that, eh?
    That's what bluetooth is for - and other files such as music, pictures etc.

I live in the UK, if even I still had a palm device, I wouldn't be able to find anyone to beam a contact to via infra-red, I don't think any other consumer phone has had it in five? six ? years.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I'd like to know specifically what that means ... is it for beaming their contact card? Can't you do that over Bluetooth these days (and to other non-Palm phones to boot)?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

I still like palm.. I love my treo pro.. but there is nothing whatsoever revolutionary here. infact they've REMOVED things instead of adding them.

no dpad

no card reader

no more hard buttons, instead a touch surface that I bet you will activate a LOT when you are not wanting to.

Just like they didn't stop manufacturing standalone PDA's just yet, I'd bet you'd be able to continue buying a Treo Pro for years to come. The new device(s) won't be the perfect solution for everyone, so if WinMob works for you, I'm sure you'll still have that option for a while ...

I personally went from a 300 to a 600 to a 700p ... and I think I've finally seen my next phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    I'd like to know specifically what that means ... is it for beaming their contact card? Can't you do that over Bluetooth these days (and to other non-Palm phones to boot)?
    You can do it over email, which is the way most of my fellow smart phone users tend to exchange data these days. That and text message. RE agents might want to come out of the 90s and live in the now.
    To me this post sums it up at digg site;

It's like they went "Hmm, iPhone has a touch screen, Blackberry has a keyboard and scroll ball, G1 has a keyboard and flip screen... LET'S GIVE IT ****ING ALL OF THAT." by SIFE
    http://digg.com/gadgets/The_Palm_pre

And to be honest I think you guys should listen to details in Palm folks like Bonnie cha from cnet got some extra stuff from Palm rep. Its at the end of video at 01:54 timeline

Bonnie: "so I guess more devices will be coming?"
    Palm Rep: "Absolutely, this is just the beginning".

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-500...CarouselArea.3

And also from Ed Calligen himself at CNBC we got promise of more devices that are in pipeline. Happy day for stockholders.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=989832966
    Last edited by Ehsan; 01/08/2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post

Bonnie: "so I guess more devices will be coming?"
    Palm Rep: "Absolutely, this is just the beginning".

Of course more devices are coming. Look at how many PalmOS devices, Palm built over the years.

no dpad

no card reader

I disagree
    Program ability based on open Web Standards is HUGE in my opinion. That alone makes me want to buy the device.
    One handed operation on a phone with such a large screne is also huge for me.
    The multi-tasking looks amazing. Android would be the only phone that comes close.
    I like the card metaphor.

Dpad: Don't Care
    Finger Prints: don't care
    Card Reader: Don't Care
    8GB is fine - I have a separate MP3 Player/Video Player anyway
    buttons are no biggie for me either.

I think that if one likes buttons and dpads and stuff and its a deal breaker, then the phone is not for them.....

OR
    wait for the next round of devices........
    I do have a growing concern about the lack of a d-pad, for those times when I'm using applications that are more traditional (like video games) and I need the archaic "go this way" button.

Maybe some future model(s) will offer one.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Infrared is useful for older applications that still use it... and maybe ONLY use it.

Yeah, they oughta be better and allow for Bluetooth transfers but they are what they are. In the case of my mapping/gps software for my Treo, "they" happen to be the best gps bang for my gps buck.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My 2 cents... overall, it looks extremely promising, but I will be sitting out this initial device due to the lack of removable/upgradeable storage.(I prefer full size SD but would gladly move to microSD for the sake of using this phone).

Out of all the so-called iPhone "competitors", this is the first one that seems like it has meat on its bones, rather than just being a looks-like-an-iPhone-wannabe device.

PLEASE PALM - ADD REMOVABLE STORAGE OPTIONS. I dare you to offer me a phone I can't say "no" to.
    Quick question if anyone knows, or is still talking to Palm folks. It was said that people could program in javascript and ajax. Does this mean if a webpage requires Ajax, the Pre would be able to process it?

Thanks.