Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    No mentions of battery life, I am sure its pretty bad especially with a lot of use... probably a daily charger
    Even without SD, this thing is far ahead of the iPhone. I loved how they took shots at Apple by saying removable battery by request & they also gave several examples of how all hooks to the OS & user interface were completely open & non-restricted to 3rd app developers. With USB mass storage capabilitym copy & paste & MMS (iPhone still can't text pictures) this thing obliterated most of the iPhone's flaws.
    Pocketables.net have put the Palm Pre UI videos on YourTube see
    http://uk.youtube.com/user/pocketables

Cheers
    Gareth

Landscape Artist
    http://garethbuxton.co.uk
    As much as this thing looks like a home run, with the complete lack of mention of any card slot, I'm a little worried that we'll have been punked out of one.

Don't get me wrong; I'm still way excited...

...I'm just already feelin' a little rueful, imagining how I'll still have to carry one or two other devices to use as my main music-player/video player.

:-P

Not that I don't do that now...so it's not like that'll keep me from buying it...

(I've had the 600, 650, 700p, and currently, the 755p)

Tho...one awesome thing about having a card slot that I've so far taken for granted is the ability to completely back up my phone onto it. So...for instance, as I've had to do a number of times...I can back up the phone as I walk into a Sprint store, they give me a replacement phone, 'cause whatever's ailin' my phone can't be fixed, and then I pop the card into the replacement phone, do a restore, and voila! I have all my old phone's data on my new phone, down to the most recently made/missed/received calls and texts!

Now *that* fearlessness, I'd really really miss...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    As much as this thing looks like a home run, with the complete lack of mention of any card slot, I'm a little worried that we'll have been punked out of one.
    Yea, you know, I think this is going to end up like Apple, get us all to buy the 8 gig and then come out with a 16 a few months later, then 32, etc.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I was really hoping it would have Graffity.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175127
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post

Don't get me wrong; I'm still way excited...

...I'm just already feelin' a little rueful, imagining how I'll still have to carry one or two other devices to use as my main music-player/video player.

:-P

Not that I don't do that now...so it's not like that'll keep me from buying it...

(I've had the 600, 650, 700p, and currently, the 755p)

Tho...one awesome thing about having a card slot that I've so far taken for granted is the ability to completely back up my phone onto it. So...for instance, as I've had to do a number of times...I can back up the phone as I walk into a Sprint store, they give me a replacement phone, 'cause whatever's ailin' my phone can't be fixed, and then I pop the card into the replacement phone, do a restore, and voila! I have all my old phone's data on my new phone, down to the most recently made/missed/received calls and texts!

Now *that* fearlessness, I'd really really miss...
    I did that recently with my Centro. Felt really good to be able to back everything up and just roll. Just don't forget to wipe the old phone. I think that Palm may be pursuing an iPhone model here by offering more storage at a higher cost. We may 16GB and 32GB models down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I don't know if anyone else noticed that the USB cables pictured with the 'Vehicle power charger' and the 'Wall charger', quite distinctly have a silver (steel) button on them. To me that clearly suggests some sort of 'hot syncing'. Atleast I can't think of any other reason for the button to be there.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/accessories/

Metal button is simply a decorative (or looking at past) item. My Treo Pro USB cable has it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Even without SD, this thing is far ahead of the iPhone. I loved how they took shots at Apple by saying removable battery by request & they also gave several examples of how all hooks to the OS & user interface were completely open & non-restricted to 3rd app developers. With USB mass storage capabilitym copy & paste & MMS (iPhone still can't text pictures) this thing obliterated most of the iPhone's flaws.
    Yes! Finally. I will buy it the first day.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I think the thing on the right hand side might actually be an expansion microSD or SD slot. Someone noted that maybe it was the microUSB port but I think not because look at the picture with the cable plugged into the Pre. It connects at the top of the phone which means the microUSB is located there. That would mean that would indeed be the card slot on the side.

BTW - If not having a card slot is retarded then Apple has quite a few retarded smartphones and MP3 players.
    wowsa
    I must be the only one on the planet that doesn't give a crap that there is no SD/microSD slot.

hmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    From the official Palm Pre web site : memory - 8GB of user storage (~7.4 GB user available) - USB mass storage support.

So I can plug in a USB drive?

I am sure that the new Nova applications will take some space so we will need our 8-16 g micro sd cards. We need the specs on this phone!!
    Palm has now deleted all, but three accesories from the 'Palm Pre' accesories page. The only one's left, are the, 'Vehicle power charger', the 'Touchstone charging dock' & the 'slip case'. I wonder why, were we not supposed to see the other items as yet?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Did I miss something, or is there no video capture capabilities on the phone? I see the camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    wowsa
    I must be the only one on the planet that doesn't give a crap that there is no SD/microSD slot.

hmmm.....
    If for nothing else I would want all my locally stored data backed up to a card. Gives me warm fuzzies. Maybe the "cloud" will somehow serve this purpose?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    Did I miss something, or is there no video capture capabilities on the phone? I see the camera...
    I was wondering about the same, but I am quite sure, hopefully, that it is just one of those things that did not get mentioned. I see no technical reason why video capturing would be an issue. Even if Palm screwed up and forgot to include a software for the same, I am sure a third party utility could easily add the funtion.

UPDATE: AS per GIZMODO, the 'Pre' does not do video, atleast not yet.
    As far as video goes, it's not available on the Pre for now, but it's something Palm is looking at for future upgrades. I find this slightly disappointing, because Palm is touting this as an internet phone, and user generated video is a very big part of what's going on in the online world. I think this absolutely has to be added in the next year.
    Palm Pre Preview: Simply Amazing

I guess it would not be a Palm product, if they actually put in all the basics. Mind you these are basics, that even $100 (retail price) phones can do nowadays. By the way I believe even the GPS on the Pre is not truelly GPS. It is linked and limited to only the service provider's coverage area. Way to go Palm, design an excellent piece of hardware, write a brand spanking new OS for it and then for no logical reasons, leave the basics out.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 01/08/2009 at 06:53 PM.
    why the need for so much additional space. How many mp3s and pictures do you need on your cell phone? Just curious because this has more space native than my 755p with a 4g card that I've yet to fillup.
    This has recently been updated. It is suppose to be for all other regions (Palm Pre 3G GSM).

Engadget -

We've gotten Palm on the record saying that there's a WCDMA (read: UMTS world 3G) version of the Pre in the works, though we don't know when or where. That means that the AT&Ts, T-Mobiles, and Vodafones of the world will get a shot at this baby. Suggestion, Palm: "soon" and "everywhere."

Update: We've just seen a copy of the Pre's press release, and sadly, the 3G GSM version is listed as being intended for "other regions" -- in other words, places not served by Sprint. The good news, we guess, is that we've also confirmed that it's HSDPA, so at least it'll be hauling ***.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Atleast I can't think of any other reason for the button to be there.

Its just for styling. It does not actually do anything. The Treo Pro cables are exactly the same.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    why the need for so much additional space. How many mp3s and pictures do you need on your cell phone? Just curious because this has more space native than my 755p with a 4g card that I've yet to fillup.
    Y'know, my initial reaction was a gut-level reaction of not wanting to be limited to what they think I need...

...but then I realized that since I use my iPod Classic for music and my laptop for video, I don't really use my 755p and its card for either music or video...and the big storage isn't so crucial, really...

...but that what is most crucial for me is the removability of the storage. *That's* what takes away my fears about my phone breaking for whatever reason. I have a daily scheduled backup of the phone, and I can do manual backups whenever I feel the need, so basically, if my phone implodes or *whatever*, as long as the card is intact, all/most my info and history is intact.

...Is there that kind of peace of mind available otherwise? Hm, maybe most of it would be available if I synced my phone via hotsync every day...but my hotsync hasn't been working for most of a year, for various reasons, including going to vista, so that's not an option...

...What about other phones? iPhone anyone? Blackberry? Is there any such safety net for if you need to swap phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    No mentions of battery life, I am sure its pretty bad especially with a lot of use... probably a daily charger
    Thats a pretty big assumption, after all its not a Window Mobile device.

But seeing as how Palm made it unnecessarily thin, I'm inclined to agree with you.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/08/2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011