Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Web based apps are pretty innovative too me.
    you should not have to rely on the web for functionality for your phone.

thats RETARDED.
    -tgwaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

You're gunna make me with joy!
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    After what they've announced, I only need to know about 2 things:

1) native apps. Really, just slingplayer . Since MobiTv was listed as a partner, I can only hope it'll happen.

2) Tethering. Never used it much before, but found it was invaluable over the past weekend skitrip.
    From the details page on Palm's site:
    Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Also:
    "Thinking ahead is a beautiful thing"

They don't say; "Thinking backward is a beautiful thing"

From: http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html
    I've been wondering about the thinking "ahead" part. I don't really see how the device does it. Palm, maybe, but not the device so much.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Annoyingly it doesn't appear to have true-push email for anything more than Exchange Server, unless I am missing that.
    Well, the only thing that has true push email is Exchange, and BIS, but thats a little different. Same effect though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    you should not have to rely on the web for functionality for your phone.

thats RETARDED.
    Yea... you're right but who says they're relying on it?
    the gallery is working on palms site, finally.
    I think that if you do not buy the Touchstone wireless charger, you have to trickle charge over USB from your PC. If you look at the car charger adapter, you will see that it does not have its own cable. Instead it slides over a USB cable which is normally used to trickle charge from a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Chill out, maybe the 16 gb and 98 gb models will be unveiled in 6 months with the GSM release or something!
    -- Josh
    doesnt matter.. you do NOT design a smartphone without a card slot. thats RETARDED!
    -tgwaste
    I seriously doubt that this will have backwards compatibility with Garnet. Palm will have their hands busy supporting the new OS and developing new phones for other (GSM) networks. Not providing backwards compatibility also necessitates developers to port their apps to WebOS quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I seriously doubt that this will have backwards compatibility with Garnet. Palm will have their hands busy supporting the new OS and developing new phones for other (GSM) networks. Not providing backwards compatibility also necessitates developers to port their apps to WebOS quicker.
    My thoughts also.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    it doesn't have a full qwerty though.
    ya ide buy this if it had a full qwerty
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    From the details page on Palm's site:
    Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering
    Thanks.
    Interesting tho.. wonder why they single out BT tethering and not list USB.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    My thoughts also.
    And the chance for additional revenue is what will make developers jump on board - Palm OS is dead as far as this device is concerned. *someone* might write an emulator but it's not going to be palm...
    update from engadget:
    We've gotten Palm on the record saying that there's a WCDMA (read: UMTS world 3G) version of the Pre in the works, though we don't know when or where. That means that the AT&Ts, T-Mobiles, and Vodafones of the world will get a shot at this baby. Suggestion, Palm: "soon" and "everywhere."

Update: We've just seen a copy of the Pre's press release, and sadly, the 3G GSM version is listed as being intended for "other regions" -- in other words, places not served by Sprint. The good news, we guess, is that we've also confirmed that it's HSDPA, so at least it'll be hauling ***.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/t...umts-palm-pre/
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I think that if you do not buy the Touchstone wireless charger, you have to trickle charge over USB from your PC. If you look at the car charger adapter, you will see that it does not have its own cable. Instead it slides over a USB cable which is normally used to trickle charge from a PC.
    See
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/accessories/
    This page shows more than just the Touchstone, pouch, and vehicle charger. Lower right image shows how they are going to handle wall charging.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And the chance for additional revenue is what will make developers jump on board - Palm OS is dead as far as this device is concerned. *someone* might write an emulator but it's not going to be palm...
    Yea, I mentioned in another thread that palm might not want to bring in the possible compatibility issues with the old sw.

Just look ahead and hold-on!
    Just call me Berd.
    Sounds right. From the developer site:
    And good news for Palm OS developers! There are a number of ways to migrate data from a an existing PDB file to your new WebOS app. Stay tuned for more information for developers with Palm OS applications who want to build WebOS applications.
    And good news for Palm OS developers! There are a number of ways to migrate data from a an existing PDB file to your new WebOS app. Stay tuned for more information for developers with Palm OS applications who want to build WebOS applications.
    I missed that.
    Just call me Berd.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I missed that.
    same page notes that it's going to be a device based app store like the iphone.