Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 25 ... LastLast
    Personally, I like the idea of having the slider, but I don't want to have to depend on it.

I would like another way to enter text, without having to walk around with the slider out all the time.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by engadget
    We've gotten Palm on the record saying that there's a WCDMA (read: world 3G) version of the pre in the works, though we don't know when or where. Suggestion, Palm: "soon" and "everywhere."
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/t...umts-palm-pre/
    Video is up... looks killer! A little bit of lag but I am sure they will keep that down when it comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    NP. I can hope that it's a slot. Though it doesn't at all say anything about expandable in the details on the Palm site.

Hopefully more than just that.
    There's something on the top, too.

SPECS! Moar specs, plz!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Does First Half 09 mean? (April 15 - May 15) or do we go all the way to June 1??

Well the Treo Pro will not sell well on Sprint now!
    June 30 would be end of 1st half. (If I recall correctly, the 700p came out on the 22nd of June, or thereabouts.)
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Personally, I like the idea of having the slider, but I don't want to have to depend on it.

I would like another way to enter text, without having to walk around with the slider out all the time.
    I totally understand that. For quick little replies an on screen keyboard is useful. but i bet is just as fast to slide the screen up and type as it is to pop open the software keyboard and type. Its personal preference anyway.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    After what they've announced, I only need to know about 2 things:

1) native apps. Really, just slingplayer . Since MobiTv was listed as a partner, I can only hope it'll happen.

2) Tethering. Never used it much before, but found it was invaluable over the past weekend skitrip.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    ...clip...Its personal preference anyway.
    That was going to be my next post

Either way, This device is Rockin!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    From the official Palm Pre web site : memory - 8GB of user storage (~7.4 GB user available) - USB mass storage support.

So I can plug in a USB drive?

I am sure that the new Nova applications will take some space so we will need our 8-16 g micro sd cards. We need the specs on this phone!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    After what they've announced, I only need to know about 2 things:

1) native apps. Really, just slingplayer . Since MobiTv was listed as a partner, I can only hope it'll happen.

2) Tethering. Never used it much before, but found it was invaluable over the past weekend skitrip.
    Of course they'll have these. This isn't the iphone and the apps aren't closed. Sling has always designed apps for palm and they won't ignore sprint's new flagship phone.
    Video on engadget says no on screen keyboard.
  12. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    There are some on the Palm site, but few.

I am REALLY hoping that by the time this launches all of these things are taken care of (as in memcard slot, etc)
    Ok, my thoughts:

The Pre and WebOS look good. I'd stop short of calling this device or the OS "revolutionary" for right now. There seems to be a little bit of "irrational exuberance" on this point. Since, as far as we can tell so far, Palm did not screw it up and disappoint as we're used to seeing them do recently, so of course, Palm diehards like us are excited. It's just nice to see a Palm launch that ISN'T a disaster for one reason or another. We'll have to see how it all works together and make sure they got it all right under the surface. It looks like a nice device, and maybe one for which I could possibly be moved into the slider camp if it works well enough one-handed.

But will this device and this OS save Palm? That might be a tall order at this point. The iPhone is a runaway hit because it has obvious, surface-visible qualities that differentiate it. Does the Pre have anything immediately visible that really sets it apart from the other stuff out there? I'm not sure it does. The mass market is shallow. The feature set of the phone appears to blow the iPhone away. But there were phones already available when the iPhone came out that blew the iPhone away, yet the iPhone became a runaway success. Why? Because the mass market is shallow and highly influenced by marketing and trends. It's not that the Pre will be competing exclusively or even necessarily primarily against the iPhone. But right now, Palm needs that kind of sales sensation. In an already terribly crowded smartphone market, I think it is too early to tell whether the Pre will be able to carve out a meaningful niche. I hope they have a hip, saavy marketing campaign ready, maybe with a few celebrities lined up to promote it.

Not sure about the name. Pre? I know most of the hardcore techies around parts such as these will say, "who cares what it is called", but for mass marketing, it matters. That's just a reality. Maybe they have a nice marketing campaign to build around that name. But it seems on the surface to be a rather lackluster moniker for a "this device must save our company" product.

But I don't want to wallow in negativity. It's a good looking device and kudos to the Palm team. Let's see if it is enough to push them back to success.
    USB mass storage means you can plug in USB drive / cardreaders.
    Drives will need external power though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Video on engadget says no on screen keyboard.
    That's it!

I will never buy this piece of Junk!
    Just call me Berd.
  16. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Annoyingly it doesn't appear to have true-push email for anything more than Exchange Server, unless I am missing that.
    From developer.palm.com:

The Palm App Catalog

Palm will provide an on-device application catalog to deliver your apps directly to users.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I am sure that the new Nova applications will take some space so we will need our 8-16 g micro sd cards. We need the specs on this phone!!
    I would think "USB mass storage support" means that you can hook the Pre up to your PeeCee via USB, and have the computer recognize it as a mass storage device.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Jeeze, this didn't take long, did it? Everyone was worried about Palm's Last Stand at CES. Palm comes out and demos an insane freakin' device, and it takes all of two minutes for the whining to start.

*sigh*
    the whining is justified. most os us have been palm loyalists for YEARS. if it werent for us POURING out money out to them they would had went bankrupt.
    -tgwaste