Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I wonder where the reset button is on that thing...
    Linux. No reset button necessary. (yeah, right)
    It is kind of odd that there is no mention of expansion. Apple does it for a reason, control and buy a higher capacity one next time. Palm doesn't seem to have that type of control issue especially when the web os is so open and easy.

BTW Storm = Touch Pro = gphone = memory card.

I've gotten used to using my microsd in my digital camera via adapter so I could easily place the card in the centro and upload pics while out and about.

Big negative if it's not there for an otherwise great looking phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Before you jump off the building why not wait and see if it really does have one or not. I would not end it all based on wild speculation.

BTW, apple = no card memory
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I thought it meant Prelude of things to come - Forward thinking.

Interesting idea, but if the word is "prelude" then the abbreviation would be "the Palm pre" pronounced "pray". Any glitches would then be ruthlessly mocked as hoping and praying that it sends e-mail, doesn't crash, maintains your info in cloud security, etc. The word Pray couldn't be good for marketing. Unless the whole cloud concept is about God himself safeguarding your data or something...
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    When I click on anything about the Pre on their site the screen goes dark and won't load anything.
    Me too.... I thought I was losing my mind, since nobody seems to have mentioned none of the galleries/info work! Tried in Firefox (Mac/Win), Safari, and IE7 and they all darken the screen but never load a gallery.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX View Post
    According to the Details page, I'm not seeing a card slot. According to the gallery images on Palm's site, I'm not seeing a place for a card slot. 8GB (7.4 GB user accessible) is not enough.

Unless the card slot is accessible through the back plate where the battery lives, I'm thinking the Pre doesn't have one.

Argh. Why, WHY, WHY?!? Palm, this is intolerable. Some of us don't like to be limited to 8 GB.

I'm sorry, but why is it this company excels at so many things, but has those two or three annoyances that make each and every one of their devices less than perfect?!?

Oh well, off to HTC or possibly Apple I go.

Chill out, maybe the 16 gb and 98 gb models will be unveiled in 6 months with the GSM release or something!
    -- Josh
    Before you jump off the building why not wait and see if it really does have one or not. I would not end it all based on wild speculation.

BTW, apple = no card memory
    Check the live-blog photos at gdgt or engadget...I could have swore I was a presentation slide that sows an accessible sd slot on the right-side of the device...
    Google pre - it's right on top!
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by achmafooma View Post
    Me too.... I thought I was losing my mind, since nobody seems to have mentioned none of the galleries/info work! Tried in Firefox (Mac/Win), Safari, and IE7 and they all darken the screen but never load a gallery.
    Engadget has the gallery up on there site
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    You can still sync directly with your mail server. No need to sync with outlook unless you are using exchange.

Pocket Quicken is dead technology. They have been stuck on Version 2.5 for years now.

Look at Splash money. It syncs directly with your banks server
    I am not interested in synching with my bank's server. I want to synch with Quicken on my desktop. I don't seehow it matters that PocketQuicken is on 2.5.1 since it syncs with the current version of Quicken.

As for Outlook, synchin with my mail server is great but I also keep my other PIM data synced between two instances of Outlook (one on Exchange connected to my BlackBerrry with BES) using my Centro.

The new pre certainly looks flashy but I think I will be sticking to PalmOS for now.
    Nice show except for Sprint's Heese--talk about a clueless CEO!--but there are many details to be ironed out and we all know where the devil lives. Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

However--reality check here--I have to wonder what the smartphone market is going to look like in 6 months (or whenever the phone is released) when record numbers of people are out of work and our major industries are picking up the pieces. Sprint is the carrier in the worst shape with a massive defection of customers in 2008 and a horrible reputation for customer service--yes, even worse than the other carriers.

Also, the device name is a bit odd. Picking a word prefix is asking for confusion. (I know the "e" has a bar over it but few will write it that way.) And why pick a prefix that means "before?" Ironically, "Pre" is a famous person in Oregon, the nickname of runner Steve Prefontaine who died at an early age. Let's hope the Palm pre does better. It looks promising.
    Pre-what?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I think the Treo "Pray" is a good moniker for it. As in, I'm going to pray for a card slot, the option to desktop sync if I want to (I don't use Outlook/Exchange), and all the other griping pre-release (pun intended) echoed in the forums here.
    There's no way your data is just on a "Cloud" as some have suggested. Your PIM data / music / photos, etc... has to be available to you when you are out of coverage, on a plane, etc. It is accessed, pulled, and synced from the 'cloud', (and up to the 'cloud as well-- optionally since I wouldn't want my work contacts added to facebook for example), but the data isn't stored there any more than it already is with facebook, google contacts, and MS Exchange Server.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Chill out, maybe the 16 gb and 98 gb models will be unveiled in 6 months with the GSM release or something!
    -- Josh
    Ed says this is the first in a range of products....
    One more post and I can post a link to the phone app...
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    wow the os and such takes up a 1/2 gig
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Has anybody seen an onscreen kb?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    There's no way your data is just on a "Cloud" as some have suggested. Your PIM data / music / photos, etc... has to be available to you when you are out of coverage, on a plane, etc. It is accessed, pulled, and synced from the 'cloud', (and up to the 'cloud as well-- optionally since I wouldn't want my work contacts added to facebook for example), but the data isn't stored there any more than it already is with facebook, google contacts, and MS Exchange Server.
    As I said earlier, the PrPrPr&#$275$; $doesn$'$t$ $run$ $its$ $apps$ $from$ $the$ $web$, $necessarily$. $The$ $apps$ $are$ $built$ $using$ $Web2$.$0$ $technology$: $HTML$, $Javascript$, $CSS$. $The$ $phone$ $interface$ $is$ $basically$ $a$ $slick$ $web$ $browser$. $So$ $yes$, $it$ $will$ $store$ $data$ $locally$.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It is kind of odd that there is no mention of expansion. Apple does it for a reason, control and buy a higher capacity one next time. Palm doesn't seem to have that type of control issue especially when the web os is so open and easy.

BTW Storm = Touch Pro = gphone = memory card.

I've gotten used to using my microsd in my digital camera via adapter so I could easily place the card in the centro and upload pics while out and about.

Big negative if it's not there for an otherwise great looking phone.
    From the official Palm Pre web site : memory - 8GB of user storage (~7.4 GB user available) - USB mass storage support.

So I can plug in a USB drive?
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
  20. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    This looks to me like a potential microSD slot.

Attached Images Attached Images