Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 20 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    VIA WIKIPEDIA:
    OMAP3430 - ARM Cortex A8 + ISP (Image Signal Processor) + PowerVR SGX 530 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator + IVA2+ (Imaging and Video Accelerator). Will be manufactured in 65 nm and later in 45 nm.

Looks like it runs at 550mhz! Nice.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Slingplayer, can you start working on having the Slingmobile available for the phone. Not 7 months after the phone launches!
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    no mention of an apps store...
    I am getting concerned about backwards compatability... BUT, let's keep in mind that Palm just created an App store. I'm sure they didn't create it to start with an empty store. There's gotta be some backwards compatability in here somewhere.
    -- Josh
  4. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm with Ed. Give them some TIME! Some of the things being whined about might even be there by release time. This was a promo announcement, NOT a detailed tech spec review! There's a lot more I'd like to know too, but I had no expectation that I'd know every detail in a one hour marketing pitch. They're objective was to sell the wow factor with a device that's above and beyond anything out there, and they did that - AT A MARKETING EXCITEMENT LEVEL. Who knows what the other possibilities are. If it is an open programming form as suggested, it won't be limited to web apps, or even web form factors. They simply realize that most things are web-based now.
    I think they're really on to something with the integration. I can't believe somebody, especially Google, doesn't already have a "family" calendar that overlays my 2 boys, me, wife, on one cal, maybe let's me send/sync my work cal, etc. Palm's cal app doesn't quite do all this, but it appears most of that function exists and won't be hard for someone to add. IM? I quit using it outside of work because there's too many to check to see where/if anyone's online. Solved.
    My real question is functional: With all these "save states" and cards you can "throw away", they better have a good utility for management and cleanup of everything - which again, they may have, just don't know. EG, if I start a note, and an email, and whatever else, and I've got these saved state "cards" out there, there needs to be a way to both/either: force me to review and discard anything that is no longer pertinent or set an auto-delete timeframe. Otherwise, 8GB is going to get ate up really quickly! All stuff we'll learn soon enough I suppose!
    I'm excited, would have preferred old 680 form factor but the slider will be fine.
    ADS
    Quote Originally Posted by TOstler View Post
    Thanks to Dieters excellent coverage.
    I'll second that. That was some excellent live-blogging!

think the phone looks great and I'm excited

Concerns:
    battery life
    how much is it going to cost to connect to Palm's "cloud"?
    will sprint jack up data plans with this handset?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    There's gotta be some backwards compatability in here somewhere.
    -- Josh
    Why? If it was important, I would have thought they would have mentioned it?

To me this is a clear line in the sand, Palm OS is the past, it was good for it's time but it's gone, done - that's the message this sends.
    a stylus???
    -- Josh
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    a stylus???
    -- Josh
    No Stylus.
    My first post in a long time...

TREO PRE... HERE I COME~!!!
    my only concern is:

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    a stylus???
    -- Josh
    Holy crap, you're right!

Although, with a stylus and a much larger screen, a stylus isn't as necessary...
    Quote Originally Posted by djshifley View Post
    think the phone looks great and I'm excited

Concerns:
    battery life
    how much is it going to cost to connect to Palm's "cloud"?
    Palm doesn't have its own cloud, I don't think, it just pulls the information directly from Facebook, google, etc.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Palm just updated their site!!!! I haven't clicked the link yet, but it just showed up!! 800w moved off the page...

*edit: they seem to be in the process of still adding the info, but they have a pretty picture and page set up...
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX View Post
    Holy crap, you're right!

Although, with a stylus and a much larger screen, a stylus isn't as necessary...
    It's unnecessary for the OS they have created - why would they include a stylus?
    didn't think about that.

Its going to bite if we see minimum data plan as with iphone/att
    Can't wait to hear the next Treocast and hear what others think about this device.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's unnecessary for the OS they have created - why would they include a stylus?
    I have so gotten over the stylus on my Centro. I cry every time I have to pull it out. <-- See?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I searched the thread and didn't see it so here:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html

sorry if it's been posted already
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Does the touch screen only work with fingers? Do they understand how hard it is to "pinch" with any nail length? I guess the female advantage of the integrated "finger" and "stylus" is gone with the wind.