Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's assume tomorrow morning when you fire up the web browser and view for the first time the new Nova phone your eyes grow wide, your heart beats out of control and it's everything you'd hope it be and more. You're wowed and amazed with it and everything looks dreamy. Many of us have either given up or moved on to new phones or worse the bad economy has snuffed our hopes for Palm ''Newness'' to just empty pockets and a dream. What would you do, how desperate would you get to have Palms shinny new hope?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Let's assume tomorrow morning when you fire up the web browser and view for the first time the new Nova phone your eyes grow wide, your heart beats out of control and it's everything you'd hope it be and more. You're wowed and amazed with it and everything looks dreamy. Many of us have either given up or moved on to new phones or worse the bad economy has snuffed our hopes for Palm ''Newness'' to just empty pockets and a dream. What would you do, how desperate would you get to have Palms shinny new hope?
    Not very - I never buy any new software platform for at least six months or until a second generation comes out. I'm blown too much money on too many lemons in the past!
    Last edited by CGK; 01/07/2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not very - I never buy any new software platform for at least six months or until a second generation comes out. I'm blown too much money on too many lemons in the past!

I will buy if it looks good, I know that Palm has to have (has to have) made progress on the software. But I do not like the look of the "Nova Phone" that has been posted on treocentral, but I do like the look of the one that (the one rendering) looks sweet like a iphone! Only a few hours more do we have to wait! Hope Sprint does not demand a only full package deal like they do with the "Samsung" We really need "eye candy" that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Assuming it's hit completely out of the park?!

First of all, that's a wonderful notion and I'll happily take a few extra seconds just to roll around in it like a pig in slop, thankyouverymuch.

Okay. So, if the new Palm operating system and phone happen to be all that and the proverbial bag o' chips, I would give up quite a bit, if I had to, to embrace it. Now, the truth is that my 755p is still going quite strong, so I might not have to do so until later this year or maybe 2010. (Can you believe that's not from a sci-fi production?)

If it's so very good though that I couldn't stand to wait - despite knowing how first-generation devices and platforms can burn the early adopters... (sorry, but I count 800w in that number) I'd even consider selling either my 650 or my 755p (probably the former) to move me closer to new hotness.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I will buy one regardless of what the consensus around here is. I like gadgets and look forward to trying out the new OS. I will not have to give up anything to get it because I have worked hard and I'm blessed.

I really hope it blows me away, but even if it doesn't I will have one of the first ones at least for a while. Can't wait to see it.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm a huge Palm fan and very excited for the announcements tomorrow. However, after feeling like a unwitting beta tester for their products, I'm going to sit this one out and let everyone else have fun with it before jumping in myself. Of course, if it's as unstable as Garnet, it's not going to be around long.
    I will salivate and be green with envy toward everyone that has one but I will wait to see if any bugs popup before I take the plunge ( which will probably only be a few a few weeks if it is a knckout).
    Last edited by cscott44; 01/07/2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typing error
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I'm a huge Palm fan and very excited for the announcements tomorrow. However, after feeling like a unwitting beta tester for their products, I'm going to sit this one out and let everyone else have fun with it before jumping in myself. Of course, if it's as unstable as Garnet, it's not going to be around long.
    I don't blame you, at all. They've given people plenty of reason to be hesitant to dive right in. The truth is, though, that Palm is the one in the deep end of the pool, right now.

And, to go ahead and beat this metaphor t'death, it really is time for them to sink or swim.
    its going to take a lot more than something that appears really neat to win me over. I have watched Palm march out products that start are not out of beta & which have serious QC issues.

Like some others, I will wait and see what happens to the early adopters.
    I am a big Palm fan and really cannot wait to try out Nova. However, my iPhone 3G is only nearly 6 months old and the usual amount of time that passes between updates is 18 months....so, while I am very eager to see the new OS, I have to wait and see if the new device (or one of the devices?) they bring out is worth the month long of groveling and begging to my husband.

If it's going to be another 6 months wait before devices are out then the groveling and begging process might be reduced to only 2 weeks.
    If I just get to play with a new device in the stores, that'll go a long way toward satiating my tech appetite. So, that wouldn't require giving up much. :-)
    To specifically answer your question I would be willing to MAYBE give up wifi IFFFFFFF everything else I want/need are there. Backwards compatibility being major.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I'd just get it when it's released
    - it could be the next best thing since sliced bread
    - it could be a bomb and Palm goes under

In either case, it's a collector's item
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Wait, wait... You are expecting for a bug free phone? Are you serious? Nobody releases bug free phones. Always (I should repeat, always) are buggy.

Remember: HTC Diamond continues expecting a really good ROM. Blackstone have been patched a few weeks after launched,... and these are only two samples.

The ****ing bugs are as usual as having a contacts app. So don't expect for a bug free phone, just expect for a minor bugs catalogue.

And yes I will buy it as soon as it's available in spanish (english just for forums, thanks).
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    its going to take a lot more than something that appears really neat to win me over. I have watched Palm march out products that start are not out of beta & which have serious QC issues.

Like some others, I will wait and see what happens to the early adopters.

Palm gets one more chance with me. Currently i am using the Samsung Ace, prior phones include, Samsung Epix, the BB, the G1, Blackberry Bold, Morotola Q9c, Treo 800w, BB 8830, 755p, the famous 700p, the 650, the 600 and 4 or 5 Treo handhelds (palm pilot, the professional, the Palm V, and the first color handhelds. I have given Palm a lot of business. on my first 600 i bought 2 times and returned it and bought it the 3rd time and i was sold.

Also getting the Kogan Agora at the end of January, my medical and bible programs will be available at the time. Hopefully the Nova will be ahead of android out of the BOX
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Wait, wait... You are expecting for a bug free phone? Are you serious? Nobody releases bug free phones. Always (I should repeat, always) are buggy.

Remember: HTC Diamond continues expecting a really good ROM. Blackstone have been patched a few weeks after launched,... and these are only two samples.

The ****ing bugs are as usual as having a contacts app. So don't expect for a bug free phone, just expect for a minor bugs catalogue.

And yes I will buy it as soon as it's available in spanish (english just for forums, thanks).
    I didn't think we were "expecting" anything, exactly. It's a hypothetical situation where we imagine the ideal (trough our own respective perspectives) and say "what if..."
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    You know I am pulling for Palm so badly... and I am soo happy with the industries support since the announcement of the Nova...
    Everyone seems to willing to give Palm one more try and getting things right on the new OS...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    It beats seeing the treodeathwatchers post daily on how bad palm is
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It beats seeing the treodeathwatchers post daily on how bad palm is
    We could all be eating our treodeathwatcher hats later...
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    To be perfectly honest: nothing. With the state of the economy, I have no reason to replace my sufficiently working 700p with a new product! Also, history shows that it is safer to wait for Palm to release their second or third product since they usually end up using the first product as a paid test program before finally delivering something useful the 2nd or 3rd time around.

Case in point - the 700p. It was awful when it first came out! Thankfully, I won at the MR lottery and didn't get a bricked phone from the update. Since the update, my 700 has been running better but nothing like the 755 and definitely not as well as I expect from some a mature OS. So why risk it with a new OS?!

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast