Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I too will give up nothing. I won't buy a Nova device unless it does everything my GSM Centro does and adds WiFi and 3G and a robust JVM. By everything I include similar functionality to Chattermail, PocketQuicken, Zagat, DocsToGo and PIM functionality equivalent to KeySuite. I assume Google maps is a given.

It will also of course have to work on AT&T and not cost more than $300.
    I'm torn. Been using PalmOS devices for about a decade and the thought of losing them is un-nerving - what little organization is present in my life is all embedded in this little chunk of plastic, glass, and silicon.

Last fall I'd begun to resign myself to the platform's death and have been exploring options. Spending a lot of time reading Android blogs, and while Android looks very intriguing, a lot of what I've come to depend on under PalmOS isn't there yet. For example, doesn't even have a decent memo application or ebook reader yet. The iPhone looks cool, but I like a real keyboard, don't like the locked down application policy, and don't want to leave my Spring SERO plan.

So basically, I'm hoping that the announcement today knocks my socks off. I really WANT Palm to succeed and be a player again. And if the first Nova device looks good, I'll be buying just to support the new platform.
    If my 700p had a properly functioning headset jack/speaker/microphone, then nada.

However, given the above, I will order the Nova unit on day 1 (as I did with the 650 and the 700) IF it is what I hope (rather than expect) it to be.
    When is the live blog info from Coverit going to start?
    "What Would You Be Willing To Give Up If Palm Hit's It Out Of The Park Tomorrow?"
    -------------
    Strange question, but simple answer. I'd be willing to give up my Treo 680 and the money to buy the new Nova phone. Am I supposed to give up anything else? a pinky toe or something?
    -- Josh
    I prolly won't be giving anything up.
    I made the move to WM when I got tired of waiting for Palm.
    Interestingly, I really liked WM right of the bat.
    I don't see myself moving away from it for some time.

Besides, the Quatro will have to be as light and thin as my Treo Pro before I'd give it a second look.
    I don't think I'll be giving up a darn thing! From what I saw the Pre looks like it got everything I want and then some.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Let's assume tomorrow morning when you fire up the web browser and view for the first time the new Nova phone your eyes grow wide, your heart beats out of control and it's everything you'd hope it be and more. You're wowed and amazed with it and everything looks dreamy. Many of us have either given up or moved on to new phones or worse the bad economy has snuffed our hopes for Palm ''Newness'' to just empty pockets and a dream. What would you do, how desperate would you get to have Palms shinny new hope?
    OUT. OF. THE. PARK. BABY.

Y'know, I kinda wanna thumb my nose at the people who said "Nova" would *never* debut and all that, but the truth is that these people had good reason to doubt Palm.

Right now, I am riding a wave of tech geek euphoria heretofore unknown to mankind. I'm just hope Palm doesn't make me crash against the rocks.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    It looks like we give up the memory card in exchange for 8 GB of internal memory. I think that works for me. I've had an 8GB SD card in my treo 680 for what seems like an eternity and I haven't filled it up yet. It would be nice to have the option, but with this amount of internal memory the lack of an expansion card isn't a deal breaker. I assume we will back up our devices with WIFI.... (BTW, did they ever call this thing a Nova?) (Is Perry coming back or did he change his name....?)
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    What am I willing to give up?

let's see. If this phone is living up to the hype/expectations, I'm willing to part my iphone and the rest of my AT&T contract.

another sign. here's my last login:
    You last visited: 07/02/2007 at 08:04 AM

My last palm device was the 650 which was bought in ugh.. I don't remember how far back, but it was a LOOOONG time ago. I have had about 6-7 phones since then, NONE of them being palm.

But I'll be a convert and come right back IF this phone can deliver the following:

1) threaded SMS, with ability to copy & paste and send custom msgs. like "i'll call u right back" etc. and with no lag, even if I have a few hundred Msgs, because I do want to go through my msg history.

2) a REAL desktop browser. not the semi crappola safari that I have on my iphone, and certainly not that even bigger pile of **** that's the RIM web browser. I want a browser that doesn't crash when I visit wsj.com, the full blown site. 50% of the time that I visit places like bloomberg.com and wsj.com on my iphone, the web browser crashes. I'm not making this stuff up because Apple actually updated the software to allow you to "force close" applications (by pressing the home button down for like 5 seconds) so that you can run memory intensive applications better.

3) IMAP gmail with real time sync. I don't want to buy mobileme or Palm's equivalent or Sprint's equivalent.

4) real exchange sync

5) a way for me to sync contacts, calendar (multi calendar support for personal & work) between my phone, outlook, gmail and exchange. I don't care if I have to run some applications on a desktop but would prefer not to and have everything handled OTA.

6) copy & paste. haha. i know. the joke is still funny to me, and i'm an iphone owner.

7) sync of my music, video, ability to buy TV shows/movies. if that's not possible, at least give me some way to sync w/ my iTunes.

that's all I can think of right now. Way to go Palm! You certainly has my interest back.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    1) threaded SMS, with ability to copy & paste and send custom msgs. like "i'll call u right back" etc. and with no lag, even if I have a few hundred Msgs, because I do want to go through my msg history.
    It threads everything - if you have an email off someone then a text then an email, that's how it appears.

4) real exchange sync
    Out of the box
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I too will give up nothing. I won't buy a Nova device unless it does everything my GSM Centro does and adds WiFi and 3G and a robust JVM. By everything I include similar functionality to Chattermail, PocketQuicken, Zagat, DocsToGo and PIM functionality equivalent to KeySuite. I assume Google maps is a given.

It will also of course have to work on AT&T and not cost more than $300.
    Well it looks like I won't be buying a Nova device anytime soon. Looks like I will be running Garnet for a few more years.
    about the "threading everything" part, will I have option to filter for only email, only txt msg, or maybe just txt msg and IM, but no email, etc?

still, it's an interesting take on how you see communication from people. i'm afraid i have to try it to see if i like it. but an interesting take nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It threads everything - if you have an email off someone then a text then an email, that's how it appears.

Out of the box
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Everything
    I'll give up $300.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'd give up my loathing of people who bring up 5 month old threads

Sorry, too easy. heh.
    Nice job on the capitalization in the title.
    It's almost been 5 months but it feels like 5 years.
    Just 9 LOOOOOOONG days left!
    Wow. Talk about diggin' up an old thread...
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownpleasures View Post
    Nice job on the capitalization in the title.
    True, quite nice. But "hit" isn't possesive nor a contraction (hit is?). So, I don't think the apostrophe is appropriate here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast