Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Hardwarewise, I am expecting:- a square 640x640 screen
    640x640 seems high
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    and have hi spec cam on it.
    maybe we will see it pitched as real time video phone/
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com...ails-leak.html

It doesn't make any sense to me to give the Nova OS backwards compatibility with POS as it would cut into the revenue streams of the developers you are trying to get onboard.
    Depends on the point of getting developers onboard.

One would be for consumers to get the benefit of the applications. That one's served either way - with backwards compatibility or not.

Another would be for developers to have a great earning potential (by having more potential applications to create) and thus, great incentive to build up the application inventory. Duplicate applications already exist so maybe backwards compatibility wouldn't stop new developers from getting into the mix.

I mean, hey, there were Palm OS applications from previous Treos going back even before my time, but the newer ones are created specifically for the current specs.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    They updated story over at Engadget, saying it will be a Sprint exclusive and have hi spec cam on it.

This is getting crazy!
    I think we are getting too caught up in the hardware side of things. The real big news is going to be NOVA and whether or not it is the holy grail of smart phone OS's. In my mind what the first announced NOVA device hardware form factor ends up being is not whats important here.

Palm has already said that they are working on serveral different device form factors to use with NOVA and I'm sure there will be at least one that will satisfy most of us.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    That's what She said

Their are a few phones out there that do slide both ways, but they are dumb phones w/ a little junk in the trunk
    Pantech has put out 2 of them on AT&T--not that thick, IIRC. Maybe about as thick as the Centro, maybe a little less. And one of them, the Duo, did run Windows Mobile--the non-touchscreen version, though. The other, the Matrix, is just one of the many recent "QWERTY for texting" models. I doubt we'll see a touchscreen dual slider that's thinner than these--that would be such a monumental feat of engineering that it's not likely. You're talking 3 physical layers, and there's only so thin you can slice them.

For me, any slider design is a wait-and-see--I want something thinner than my 680. (Yes, actually thinner--not same-as and certainly not thicker!) The Treo Pro for me, like itchi, was a huge step in the right direction, design/specs-wise. I'm hoping Palm puts out a similar design running Nova.

I don't expect we'll see an announcement on Sprint on Thursday--I think we'd have had more leaks/blurry pictures from the testing if that were the case. I'm hoping for unlocked GSM both because that's what I intend to buy and what I think Palm can get out fastest--and then follow up with carrier-branded versions.

It doesn't make any sense to me to give the Nova OS backwards compatibility with POS as it would cut into the revenue streams of the developers you are trying to get onboard.
    I can't say I entirely agree with you here. Developers can always create a new and improved version of an app, providing backwards compatibility is a great way to boost the number of apps ready to go on launch day. If that helps sales of the phones then it is possible that some of the older Palm apps could even see a boost in sales which could encourage some developers that have already left Palm OS to return.

On a funny note when I first read POS I automatically started thinking about the traditional way that acronym is used
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I think we are getting too caught up in the hardware side of things. The real big news is going to be NOVA and whether or not it is the holy grail of smart phone OS's. In my mind what the first announced NOVA device hardware form factor ends up being is not whats important here.
    I feel you, but the hardware is the way that we interact and interface with the software and I, for one, am not interested in a CES show that shows nothing but an mobile o.s. on a pc screen.

It's been long enough now that Palm needs to come through with the complete package.

Palm has already said that they are working on serveral different device form factors to use with NOVA and I'm sure there will be at least one that will satisfy most of us.
    I'm not. I'm in a show me state... of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I feel you, but the hardware is the way that we interact and interface with the software and I, for one, am not interested in a CES show that shows nothing but an mobile o.s. on a pc screen.

It's been long enough now that Palm needs to come through with the complete package.
    Sage advice especialy if the first device takes until Jun or July to ship.
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts

1) Palm has a reputation for backwards compatibility. While I don't expect them to tout a huge number of apps that worked on a Pilot 1000 and will still work on Nova, maintaining a certain level of BC is a good thing.

2) BC offers users a chance to bring data for 3rd party apps over and then upgrade those apps to newer Nova-specific versions as the developers get them out.

3) For prospective new developers, BC offers some assurance that their apps will continue to work on future devices.

I think Palm needs to maintain as many of its current/previous developers as possible and then build on that. That seems more likely than courting developers from other platforms to switch/expand. The only exception I see to that would be developers who only started recently (the last couple of years).
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Hardwarewise, I am expecting:
    - a square 640x640 screen
    - dimensions of 7x9x2 cm closed
    - tiny qwerty, 5-way and other keys slide from under the screen

This thing, when opened, would be a current treo with significantly larger screen and much better resolution. Nothing more, nothing less. Still, it would be just as pocketable as the current treo. One-hand-usable. Palm OS compatible (square screen, remember).

No inside info, just hoping the greatest device available in today's technology. Palm has everything to make this happen, let's hope they don't blow this.
    I highly doubt a square screen. That would entirely defeat the purpose of a slider.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    1) Palm has a reputation for backwards compatibility. While I don't expect them to tout a huge number of apps that worked on a Pilot 1000 and will still work on Nova, maintaining a certain level of BC is a good thing.
    But for who?

2) BC offers users a chance to bring data for 3rd party apps over and then upgrade those apps to newer Nova-specific versions as the developers get them out.
    But this is the point - should Palm give a toss about POS users? that OS is only used on their budget phone - yes there are POS users on older phones but so what? The whole premise for Nova is to appeal to the mainstream again and why would the mainstream care?

3) For prospective new developers, BC offers some assurance that their apps will continue to work on future devices.
    But that's a Nova issues with BC within the Nova OS it's nothing to do with POS.

I think Palm needs to maintain as many of its current/previous developers as possible and then build on that. That seems more likely than courting developers from other platforms to switch/expand. The only exception I see to that would be developers who only started recently (the last couple of years).
    Developers will be attracted by the promise of revenue - BC or not.
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I agree--somewhat. Both are important. Part of it is that many people are looking for improved feature support (3G, WiFi, GPS, multitasking) in Nova. And it's vital that Palm establish a firm new foundation with Nova that they can build on over the long term as they roll out new devices.

On hardware, though, the thing is that so many people have been waiting for a Nova device--with their own differing hardware criteria. Once there are several models out there, it's easy to say "I'll go with A over B." We still have to get to that point--multiple models on carriers worldwide.

Long-term, I think most of us will make our choice and be satisfied with it--once the selection is there. However, as I said before, many people have been waiting for Nova--e.g. holding on to a 650 when the carrier is saying "You can upgrade now!" For that contingent, it's a question of what hardware Palm shows on Thursday and how soon it's available.

As I've said before, I think the best way for Palm to underscore the idea of multiple form factors is to introduce at least 2 on Thursday. To me, at least, that would have more weight than "Here's this one... more coming soon!"
    As far as hardware, isn't it going to be iPhone like? Big screen with maybe slideout keybd. The software and how it deals with data and media content is going to be real important!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I highly doubt a square screen. That would entirely defeat the purpose of a slider.
    Screen, buttons and keys take estate from the face of the device. The purpose of a slider is that more estate is available to these things while still being a pocketable device.

A square screen would go well with a slider. A landscape screen would go well with a slider. A portrait screen does not go well with a simple qwerty slider. There has to be something more to it, because a good internet experience is not doable in a basic portrait screen qwerty slider.
    With a slider, the new Palm is going to be as thick as a can of sardine. Think of it on a restaurant table side by side wiht a iPhone
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    As far as hardware, isn't it going to be iPhone like? Big screen with maybe slideout keybd. The software and how it deals with data and media content is going to be real important!
    I believe that both hardware and software have to be equally "amazing" right out of the gate for Palm to win. It doesn't matter if they have a great OS running on some underpowered hardware or hardware that is big, bulky and thick or great hardware running a not so "amazing" OS. If one aspect is questionable it won't matter how good the other is. First impressions can destroy a product and no matter how good a second generation product is, by the time Palm would get out a second generation product, there may be no Palm left.
    Jeff
    I didnt say it would be big or bulky. I said "iPhone like".

If it is close enough to iPhone form factor (big screen with maybe keybd). It does have to be better looking that the G1, but its going to be the software that makes it. It is a new OS that we are waiting to see.
    But this is the point - should Palm give a toss about POS users? that OS is only used on their budget phone - yes there are POS users on older phones but so what? The whole premise for Nova is to appeal to the mainstream again and why would the mainstream care?
    Existing Palm OS users are a part of that mainstream, so that's a plus for backwards compatibility.

Also, people considering a new device will be drawn by its functionality. More applications, from the beginning, means greater functionality, which could mean more sales. Having backwards compatibility means more applications, from the beginning. Thus backwards compatibility could mean more sales. So, that's another plus for backwards compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Existing Palm OS users are a part of that mainstream, so that's a plus for backwards compatibility.

Also, people considering a new device will be drawn by its functionality. More applications, from the beginning, means greater functionality, which could mean more sales. Having backwards compatibility means more applications, from the beginning. Thus backwards compatibility could mean more sales. So, that's another plus for backwards compatibility.
    Look at how utterly terrible most POS applications look, that's not exactly what consumers want.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Look at how utterly terrible most POS applications look, that's not exactly what consumers want.
    I don't know that they look so terrible, but a lot of working apps sound better than a few pretty ones.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I didnt say it would be big or bulky. I said "iPhone like".

If it is close enough to iPhone form factor (big screen with maybe keybd). It does have to be better looking that the G1, but its going to be the software that makes it. It is a new OS that we are waiting to see.
    I never said that you said it would be big or bulky. I was just saying that hardware and software are both important. I was however implying that putting a slider on anything (even the iPhone) has the potential to make a device thick. If they found a way to do that and not make it into an brick, that would be great.
    Jeff
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast