Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    I don't post much, but I follow these posts almost daily. My 755P is a proven winner and it serves me well. But, Palm really does need a "Home Run" to remain a player in this industry. Sounds like this coming Thursday could produce a "Grand Slam". I'm liking it!
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Are the specs on the new Nova phone(s) really that secret? Does anyone imagine that it WONT have WiFi? Does everyone agree that WiFi inclusion is a no brainer?
    I agree with you. If this phone doesn't have WIFI I have no idea why the people who designed it even bothered showing up for work...
    But there could be many other specs and features that we don't know about, so yes the specs are secret.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Blackhawk you're right, no question. But then again, were we not reasonable in hoping for WiFi on the 650, and EXPECTING it on the 700 and BANGING our heads when it was left off the 755??

btw, Blackhawk, you and i have been around here for a few years, I'm in awe of your post count, its like double mine. You're a posting machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    I agree with you. If this phone doesn't have WIFI I have no idea why the people who designed it even bothered showing up for work...
    But there could be many other specs and features that we don't know about, so yes the specs are secret.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I, for one, am hoping it's not a slider--too thick! I have yet to see a phone with a slider design that I didn't rule out for that reason. I'd be happy with a Treo Pro form factor (though without the fingerprint-attraction!). On the other hand, I also see the benefit of the "show the new" rationale, so I'm hoping they unveil 2 devices with 2 different form factors.

On carriers, I'm hoping they also do a dual approach: announce unlocked GSM versions to be available quickly (like the Pro) and say that there will shortly be a carrier availability announcement--likely Sprint, hopefully with AT&T to follow. Verizon--depends on things like Centro sales numbers, whether the big V sees the potential in Nova. Since Verizon obviously wants something to counter the iPhone (and the BB Storm, with its issues, didn't cut it), can Palm step up? We'll have to see.

IIRC, from some of Ed Colligan's conference call statements, Palm has only recently started talking specifics with carriers--so an unlocked GSM model would be the fastest way to go. No matter what, though, I'm sure they'll use CES to grab everyone's attention with a first look and then close with "more announcements coming soon"...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    This has to be an exclusive phone for Sprint. Cingular has the iPhone, T-Mobile has the G1, and Verizon has the Bold. Sprint needs a very publicly announced successful handset that will draw a crowd.

And I'd love to have a new Palm smartphone with my $99 plan!
    Well said.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    This has to be an exclusive phone for Sprint. Cingular has the iPhone, T-Mobile has the G1, and Verizon has the Bold. Sprint needs a very publicly announced successful handset that will draw a crowd.

And I'd love to have a new Palm smartphone with my $99 plan!
    Isn't it going to be up to sprint as to what kind of deal/offer they want to make, with the ultimate decision being made by palm?
    I can see why sprint would be most likely to cut the best arrangement with Palm but I don't think it is by any means a sure thing...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
    I do not see Palm going away from the hard keys....That's the bread and butter for Palm.

Here is my mockup, in the style of the Treo800.
    I agree with you. Lack of hard buttons would mean a significant lack of efficiency (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=170006).

I would love Thursday's surprise to be fast, efficient (least amount of key-strokes or screen-taps to perform any task), handle rich multimedia (handle most internet sites (java, flash, asp/ajax, silverlight, etc), youtube, TV output, awesome still/video camera, etc), mean music machine, highly customizable UI & Today screen, revolutionary wireless sync, and solid PDA functions.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Who makes a vertical slider that has a qwerty keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was wondering the same thing... MAN I hope Palm doesn't screw this one up...

I am really beginning to wonder about the vertically sliding keyboard. Some of the articles I am reading now are hinting that the keyboard is a horizontal slider...
    Last edited by Blackhawk5; 01/05/2009 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    I agree with you. Lack of hard buttons would mean a significant lack of efficiency (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=170006).

I would love Thursday's surprise to be fast, efficient (least amount of key-strokes or screen-taps to perform any task), handle rich multimedia (handle most internet sites (java, flash, asp/ajax, silverlight, etc), youtube, TV output, awesome still/video camera, etc), mean music machine, highly customizable UI & Today screen, revolutionary wireless sync, and solid PDA functions.
    *applauds*

Solid, SOLID internet experience a must. All others need not apply.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    samsung DID in the form of the i760. it had a short life on verizon a few years ago. from what I remember it was hard to type on because of awkward weight balance.
    Do you guys think Nova will be more compatible with Linux or Windows?

I think I like the rumored design (save the vertically sliding keyboard unless the screen rotates) but I would have expected something more along the lines of the N97.
    http://www.silicon.com/i/s4/illo/pho...7_group_05.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Do you guys think Nova will be more compatible with Linux or Windows?]
    ...and to add, Andriod apps running on Nova would give some real legs to stay with the iPhone and Storm on that app-store side of this coin....thinking Linux apps as both are Linux based OSes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I can CONFIRM everything in that crunchgear story and have two tiny details to add:

http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/2300-1.htm
    All these "Wow" factor effects require lots of cpu. Which means lots of battery drain. If Palm hasn't made dramatic improvements in that area, expect a battery life measured in minutes, not hours.

I've never understood why the blackberry I used to carry for work could run for days on a single charge, and my Treo barely a day.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    I am so ready to sell my Treo Pro as long as I can accept outlook meeting requests on the native email app!
    Geez. I can do that on my ancient, decrepit P-OS 755p.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

I see Palm basically doing the opposite of what Sony has done with the PS3over the past 2+ years...instead of slowly removing backwards compatibility bit by bit, Palm will slowly integrate & perfect it over the lifetime of the platform & hardware.
    I find that unlikely. If they need backwards compatibility at all, it's to entice current P-OS owners to the new device. If the device establishes itself without that, they'll never bother to add it.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Here is another mock by Rob Beschizza:
    http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...the-itreo.html
    This is stupid. All of these "mock-ups" are nothing but people's guesses. Not one of the creators even claims any inside knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    What about looking to the Palm Heritage for an idea. I'm feeling a T|3 type of slider, with an always exposed keyboard.

The Keyboard is palm's killer feature. So rather than the keyboard sliding out from under the screen, I see the screen sliding out from behind the keyboard, going from square to 16:9 for media and browsing duties.

But this wild guess I really LIKE.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 01/05/2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I am really beginning to wonder about the vertically sliding keyboard. Some of the articles I am reading now are hinting that the keyboard is a horizontal slider...
    Hey Blackhawk5!

What articles are those? I'd like to read them as I haven't read anything hinting about a horizontal slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    This is stupid. All of these "mock-ups" are nothing but people's guesses.
    yeah, the mock ups are pretty weak. And the two guesses on the stats above are just stupid. Thursday isn't going to come quick enough.

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    samsung DID in the form of the i760. it had a short life on verizon a few years ago. from what I remember it was hard to type on because of awkward weight balance.
    It wasn't vertical.