Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 324
  1. #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I wonder how much value has been placed on the fact that, while they don't make much money on the centro, it did act as a gateway for folks to move from feature phones to smart phones - specifically P-OS smart phones. And since contracts will be coming up soon for a lot of those newbies...it would be a perfect time for them to go ahead and move to Nova over some of the other platforms......
    I believe that is only going to happen if they price the phone less than the iphone and possibly the Instinct. If they come out priced at over $199, I feel, the majority of the people who went to Centros will not pay more for a phone than they can get an iphone for, especially being out of contract.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  2. #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I believe that is only going to happen if they price the phone less than the iphone and possibly the Instinct. If they come out priced at over $199, I feel, the majority of the people who went to Centros will not pay more for a phone than they can get an iphone for, especially being out of contract.
    Thats a good point.
    I wonder.....
    So if I am Joe Public and I spent $99 for a Centro and about $100 on software.
    Would I pay $199 for an iphone plus more money for software? Or would I pay $299 for a device that runs all the software I already have? It would probably depend on how awesome the hardware would be.

    Lately I have been sensing that the iphone love affair is starting to fade a bit. Folks I know who were looking to get an iphone (or already bought one) are getting frusterated because of the HUGE omissions that are standard on other "smart" phones. If palm can get its device in front of folks as an alternative to the iphone, they might have a chance.
  3. #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Thats a good point.
    I wonder.....
    So if I am Joe Public and I spent $99 for a Centro and about $100 on software.
    Would I pay $199 for an iphone plus more money for software? Or would I pay $299 for a device that runs all the software I already have? It would probably depend on how awesome the hardware would be.

    Lately I have been sensing that the iphone love affair is starting to fade a bit. Folks I know who were looking to get an iphone (or already bought one) are getting frusterated because of the HUGE omissions that are standard on other "smart" phones. If palm can get its device in front of folks as an alternative to the iphone, they might have a chance.
    Where I think your going wrong is who bought the iphone and who bought the Centro. I think that more business people bought the iphone when it came out wrongly believing that it would be as good as a Treo or Blackberry for their type of use. I think that the majority of new Centro users bought it for it's price tag and never bought one program. The reason I think that the price is going to make the difference is that the people who buy for cool factor, don't care as much about the third party apps unless they get them easily by downloading them from an iTunes like store. I wonder how many parents got bills for hundreds of dollars for downloaded movies & music because their kids with an iphone downloaded things without thinking about the cost?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  4. #304  
    "Would I pay $199 for an iphone plus more money for software? Or would I pay $299 for a device that runs all the software I already have? It would probably depend on how awesome the hardware would be. "

    The question for me would be "Do I leave my $5/month unlimited data on Sprint for $30/month on ATT?" I think the SERO plans that people have locked in will come into play in their own personal decisions. Would I like an iPhone? I'd love one. I have several co-workers with them and I'd like one, but I have such a good deal w/sprint, I couldn't afford a data plan with att and an iphone without web seems pretty pointless. Hopefully Palm will knock something out of the park today and sprint will carry it.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
       #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I wonder how much value has been placed on the fact that, while they don't make much money on the centro, it did act as a gateway for folks to move from feature phones to smart phones - specifically P-OS smart phones.
    There is absolutely no evidence that happened or did not happen, we just don't have the data - yes we have people saying "I had one and then..." but that's worthless in terms of trying to analyse the linkage.
  6. #306  
    I wonder how much software most poeple are buying for the iPhone. Isnt it mostly free stuff that people checkout.
  7. #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    "Would I pay $199 for an iphone plus more money for software? Or would I pay $299 for a device that runs all the software I already have? It would probably depend on how awesome the hardware would be. "

    The question for me would be "Do I leave my $5/month unlimited data on Sprint for $30/month on ATT?" I think the SERO plans that people have locked in will come into play in their own personal decisions. Would I like an iPhone? I'd love one. I have several co-workers with them and I'd like one, but I have such a good deal w/sprint, I couldn't afford a data plan with att and an iphone without web seems pretty pointless. Hopefully Palm will knock something out of the park today and sprint will carry it.
    It amazes me that people are still with AT&T or even Verizon when compared to Sprint. Sprint is so much cheaper. I looked at AT&T because of the iPhone but my costs would have gone up $50 a month for a comparable AT&T plan. No way is ANY phone worth an extra $50 a month.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
       #308  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I believe that is only going to happen if they price the phone less than the iphone and possibly the Instinct. If they come out priced at over $199, I feel, the majority of the people who went to Centros will not pay more for a phone than they can get an iphone for, especially being out of contract.

    I'll try and dig out the link but the analysts say that to meet their targets, the phone has to retail for at $200 and they have to sell at least two million.

    The centro is a red herring in this conversation - it was a phone aimed at the bottom end of the market, from all we've seen this phone is for the fat middle, the prosumer.
  9. #309  
    I looked at att as well because 95% of my friend and cow-orkers are on it. but like you said, another 50+ per month just wouldn't cut it with my budget.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
       #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Where I think your going wrong is who bought the iphone and who bought the Centro. I think that more business people bought the iphone when it came out wrongly believing that it would be as good as a Treo or Blackberry for their type of use. I think that the majority of new Centro users bought it for it's price tag and never bought one program.
    Palm software developers said the Centro made one iota of difference to sales, so yes centro owners don't buy software.

    The reason I think that the price is going to make the difference is that the people who buy for cool factor, don't care as much about the third party apps unless they get them easily by downloading them from an iTunes like store.
    Indeed, I still think people are looking at this from the wrong angle - for mass market penetration it has to be a cool phone first and a functional phone second - at least in the marketing. That's back to front to palm users but that's just the way it is.
  11. #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Indeed, I still think people are looking at this from the wrong angle - for mass market penetration it has to be a cool phone first and a functional phone second - at least in the marketing. That's back to front to palm users but that's just the way it is.
    I think that "cool" stems from the usability of the device. I watched a friend use his iPhone and it was so effortless and glitch-free I found it "cool" and amazing. He was able to flip through pictures effortlessly and without fumbling around in the UI.

    If the iPhone looked pretty but didn't do anything that the user wants its not going to get anywhere. Look at the newer HTC phones or the new Blackberry. Both are "pretty" and "cool" but both have terrible interface issues or technical problems (especially the BB). So they aren't going to take off like the iPhone.

    The thing that RIM and MS don't get is that people will sacrifice some functionality if everything else the phone does is done REALLY good. MS is especially bad about it - they implement 5,000 features and none of them work well or have a really crappy UI.


    Edit: I wanted to add another example. The iPod. There were other MP3 players out there when it was introduced. There were MP3 players that did more ( a TON more) but the iPod took off. Why? Because it worked. Apple wasn't cool when the iPod exploded. They just took control of the experience from beginning to end. It was easy to sync, it was easy to use, and it had a simple/powerful interface. Since then it has maintained its popularity because everything about the iPod has remained simple and streamlined.
    Last edited by zelet; 01/08/2009 at 11:06 AM.
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
       #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    I think that "cool" stems from the usability of the device. I watched a friend use his iPhone and it was so effortless and glitch-free I found it "cool" and amazing. He was able to flip through pictures effortlessly and without fumbling around in the UI.

    I think the cool factor is sustained once it's out by the usability - so you are certainly right there. As for the iphone, gui, I have to agree, I tried a friends and with no explanation and help, it was just so obvious how everything worked. I know people rag on the Iphone but for the fat middle, it does everything they want - phonecalls, media, web - and that's where the cash is.
  13. #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think the cool factor is sustained once it's out by the usability - so you are certainly right there. As for the iphone, gui, I have to agree, I tried a friends and with no explanation and help, it was just so obvious how everything worked. I know people rag on the Iphone but for the fat middle, it does everything they want - phonecalls, media, web - and that's where the cash is.
    What's amazing to me is the HTC phones. They look AMAZING... until you use them. The "top coat" they put on WM is great - but you still have to use WM when you want to do anything and you fall back into that terrible interface. So people might pick it up at the store and go "WOW" but that feeling with be replaced with "same ****, different box" after using it for a few days. Been there done that.

    Palm needs to really REALLY think about usability from start to finish on the device. Everything from charging, syncing, ease of use, web, photos, EVERYTHING. If they try to out feature WM while trying to "out cool" Apple they are going to lose hard.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
       #314  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    What's amazing to me is the HTC phones. They look AMAZING... until you use them.
    Indeed, I have a samsung i780 and I had to play with it a lot so that I could do virtually everything without dipping into the windows maze of menus. MS really should think hard about the Zune phone we hear so much about if they want to stay in the consumer phone market.
  15. #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by timec View Post
    Won't I be able to buy an unlocked to use on Verizon.
    What time will the "Roll Out" be?

    Last year Verizon had stated that it would allow 3rd party phones under their umbrella. do not know if that is happened or not
  16. #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Indeed, I still think people are looking at this from the wrong angle - for mass market penetration it has to be a cool phone first and a functional phone second - at least in the marketing. That's back to front to palm users but that's just the way it is.
    I agree 100%
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  17. #317  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    What time will the "Roll Out" be?

    Last year Verizon had stated that it would allow 3rd party phones under their umbrella. do not know if that is happened or not
    Well, if CNBC is going to interview Colligan on Street Signs it has to be before 1:00 p.m. CST because that's when it's on. It is an hour show, so I guess it could be during that hour.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
       #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Well, if CNBC is going to interview Colligan on Street Signs it has to be before 1:00 p.m. CST because that's when it's on. It is an hour show, so I guess it could be during that hour.

    Let's hope it's not just a close-up of Colligan sobbing into his hands...
  19. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #319  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Last year Verizon had stated that it would allow 3rd party phones under their umbrella. do not know if that is happened or not
    They made an announcement about it. They haven't given a timeframe or details of how they plan to do it yet.
  20. #320  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Palm software developers said the Centro made one iota of difference to sales, so yes centro owners don't buy software.
    Perhaps because many Centro owners were former POS Treo owners and had already bought the software.

Posting Permissions