Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    I wonder if the new email app will be based on ChatterEmail? I think I read that the programmer of ChatterEmail is now employed with Palm. If so that would a great start on an improved app for the new os.

Marc has left Palm!!
    Its not a big deal that Marc isn't with Palm, as far as I'm concerned. I LOVED ChatterEmail, its the best email client I've used for any platform. However, the main reason Chatter was so great was because it worked around many of the Garnet shortcomings. Assuming that Nova is designed properly, then many of the hacks and workarounds that Chatter was so great at aren't necessary.

I mean, lets face it, Nova had better be a proper multitasking OS or it'll probably not get very far. Therefore, all you need is someone who is familiar with IMAP, POP, and Exchange, and someone to design a great interface around them. While Marc's work on Chatter was amazing stuff, quite frankly if the OS is designed halfway decently, his talents would be much better utilized elsewhere.

And the same goes for the comments about for example Hobbyist Software I see above. Sure, these are great Garnet programmers (which is mostly a 68k architecture with ARMlets to take care of certain functionalities), but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be great at programming for Linux with a complete ARM compiled setup. (And I don't mean anything personal towards them, either). Hopefully Nova is designed right and doesn't NEED these types of OS-wide hacks anyway.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 01/07/2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I would be happy with 50% backward compatibility. I really only need a good PIM (which doesn't exist on iphone and android at the moment) and some call management stuff like butler.
    If there's one thing I would expect right out of the box, it's a first rate PIM suite. That's what Palm built its business on, and their creaky, ancient PIM apps are still better in many respects that what's available on any other platform.

Pimlico (Datebk) is working on a new calendar package called Pimlical, and I'm hoping against hope that Pimlico was tapped to develop the calendar for Nova (just as the Chatter folks were, we believe, building the Nova email app) and that Pimilcal is a P-OS version of the Nova calendar.

OK, maybe wishful thinking, but a guy can hope.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty confident the PIM apps will be good.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm just glad there are some posts on Treo Central that DON'T have anything to do with WinMob, the 800W or the TP.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    The Applications should have already been ready at it's introduction otherwise as usual Palm Has Not Done It's Job!!!
    I agree and say so if you see my original post. Palm should have appls ready and also key 3rd party dev'er via NDA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm just glad there are some posts on Treo Central that DON'T have anything to do with WinMob, the 800W or the TP.
    to that!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Marc has left Palm!!
    After he finished the NOVA emal app.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Posted over at gearlog.com
    http://www.gearlog.com/2009/01/ces_2...nova_phone.php

We do know a bunch of things about Nova, though, and we can speculate on others. Here's what we know so far.
    • Nova is a Linux-based OS.
    • Nova will launch with third-party software already available.
    • Nova will focus on integrating different kinds of data stored in different locations.
    • Nova will integrate into Web-based social networks.
    • Nova will be driven around the Internet and Web-based applications.
    • Nova will focus on the "prosumer" market, leaving consumers for Centro and business for Windows Mobile Treo products.
    • The phone will hit shelves by June 2009.
    And just found this posted at t3.com stating the handset will be made by HTC:

http://www.t3.com/feature/palm-to-la...ike-smartphone

Indeed, it may look like the handset here, which has been mocked up by the guys at Boing Boing Gadgets based on the facts so far known. But with the handset being made by HTC, it could end up looking more like a Google G1.
    Last edited by NachoB; 01/07/2009 at 08:16 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    To solve the top heavy nature of a vertical slider they could split the case something like this where the majority of the "guts" are in the keyboard section.

Martin
    That's sorta what I was thinking. Think of it as a slide-up screen instead of a slide-down keyboard and it's all good with one hand. Flip up and down (and maybe rotate) with your thumb.
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Posted over at gearlog.com
    http://www.gearlog.com/2009/01/ces_2...nova_phone.php

And just found this posted at t3.com stating the handset will be made by HTC:

http://www.t3.com/feature/palm-to-la...ike-smartphone
    PalmInfocenter was reporting recently, based on Palm's latest conference call, that the Centro is nearly EOL as well as the standalone handheld models. This makes sense, especially on GSM; AT&T execs have said they want all their phones to be 3G, and I wouldn't be surprised if other carriers around the world agree with that. So any follow-on models for the Centro--whether they're called Centros or something else--seem likely to run Nova rather than Garnet.
    It's Thursday! Yayy! Feel like a kid waiting for stinkin' christmas or a birfday!
    Will be 2pm or later here on the east coast before we get anything to nibble on. Hope it's a juicy filet mignon!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    PalmInfocenter was reporting recently, based on Palm's latest conference call, that the Centro is nearly EOL as well as the standalone handheld models. This makes sense, especially on GSM; AT&T execs have said they want all their phones to be 3G, and I wouldn't be surprised if other carriers around the world agree with that. So any follow-on models for the Centro--whether they're called Centros or something else--seem likely to run Nova rather than Garnet.
    From the FA, I got the sense that if Nova takes off, any POS devices will be killed very quickly. There will be no Centro 2, I'm pretty sure of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    From the FA, I got the sense that if Nova takes off, any POS devices will be killed very quickly. There will be no Centro 2, I'm pretty sure of that.

Well Palm was more successful this time on actually keeping pictures of the new phone from our prying eyes. I guess that is one good thing they are good at. But maybe the phone just arrived today as the 1st proto type from the hardware mfg??? (No but they did not let us see a picture of the device until later today!
    But isnt the centro their most successful unit ever?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    But isnt the centro their most successful unit ever?
    The margins are very low on it - it doesn't make very much money.
    The margins are very low on it - it doesn't make very much money.
    I wonder how much value has been placed on the fact that, while they don't make much money on the centro, it did act as a gateway for folks to move from feature phones to smart phones - specifically P-OS smart phones. And since contracts will be coming up soon for a lot of those newbies...it would be a perfect time for them to go ahead and move to Nova over some of the other platforms......
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I wonder how much value has been placed on the fact that, while they don't make much money on the centro, it did act as a gateway for folks to move from feature phones to smart phones - specifically P-OS smart phones. And since contracts will be coming up soon for a lot of those newbies...it would be a perfect time for them to go ahead and move to Nova over some of the other platforms......
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I even started to wonder if maybe Palm planned it that way, but that is probably giving Palm way too much credit...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Won't I be able to buy an unlocked to use on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by timec View Post
    Won't I be able to buy an unlocked to use on Verizon.

unlocked usually refers to GSM and both Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. They lock their chyt down tight. They do not play well together and the go to great lengths to make sure ones unit doesnt work on the others network. There have been some expceptions but not usually.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.