Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Well, part of the rumor is that they'll unveil a phone, as well. And I hope the rumor's right.

They need to.
    LOL - if there was no phone just a render, this place would explode!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    LOL - if there was no phone just a render, this place would explode!
    Preach it!
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    westman - I didnt say that they wouldnt also show a phone running Nova tomorrow. It was more to the point that the OS/phone will not be available for months. So it gives 3rd party devs time to write for it.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Well, part of the rumor is that they'll unveil a phone, as well. And I hope the rumor's right.

They need to.
    I hope so.... I want to come back home :-)
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Maybe if they modded this to slide down vert also?
    Thats what I was saying earlier. My only trouble with this unit is the thickness tho. BUT if it slides/spins both ways horiz/vert that would be awesome.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Ohhhh I can't wait to see Nova. Please Palm, make me happy that I haven't left Sprint yet. Let it come out on Sprint and keep the rubberized paint. The treo 755P has spoiled me. . I want all my phones to feel like the 755.
    After 5 years of lurking I guess it's time to submit my first post...

As a long time POS user, Sprint customer, and certified Treonut I am really looking forward to tomorrow's announcement. I use my Treo 755p for work and leisure. Email and other MS document editing and audio/video entertainment for long flights. My work recently discontinued Good support in favor of VersaMail with Exchange ActiveSync (yuck!) a move that had me seriously considering the Windows Mobile (gasp!) Treo 800w. Now I'll wait and see how heavily the new Nova Quatreo (?) leans toward the pro side of prosumer.

Attached is my take on what we could get...

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mhconley; 01/07/2009 at 11:17 AM.
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Oh I like that (although I generally have a preference for a landscape keyboard).

The only point I'd make about all of the designs, they all (and it's understand) use the current keyboards - I think Palm is going to send a clear signal this is a new day and try and minimize the design traits that it shares with the older models - so I'm expecting the keyboard to look pretty different.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Ohhhh I can't wait to see Nova. Please Palm, make me happy that I haven't left Sprint yet. Let it come out on Sprint and keep the rubberized paint. The treo 755P has spoiled me. . I want all my phones to feel like the 755.
    The soft touch finish is just about perect. but everyone likes shinny toys these days that slip out of your hand easily...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post

As a long time POS user, Sprint customer, and certified Treonut I am really looking forward to tomorrow's announcement. I use my Treo 755p for work and leisure. Email and other MS document editing and audio/video entertainment for long flights. My work recently discontinued Good support in favor of VersaMail with Exchange ActiveSync (yuck!) a move that had me seriously considering the Windows Mobile (gasp!) Treo 800w. Now I'll wait and see how heavily the new Nova Quatreo (?) leans toward the pro side of prosumer.

Attached is my take on what we could get...

Martin
    From an engineering standpoint, I wonder how difficult it would be to make the keyboard slide out in bot landscape and portrait mode? I guess the challenge would be not making the device too thick.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I wonder if the new email app will be based on ChatterEmail? I think I read that the programmer of ChatterEmail is now employed with Palm. If so that would a great start on an improved app for the new os.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I literally gasped when I saw this

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/n...idearm-2-umpc/

then I realised that it wasn't palm nova...

Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    I wonder if the new email app will be based on ChatterEmail? I think I read that the programmer of ChatterEmail is now employed with Palm. If so that would a great start on an improved app for the new os.
    We can only hope, however, he's recently no longer with Palm. See here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174759
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    From an engineering standpoint, I wonder how difficult it would be to make the keyboard slide out in bot landscape and portrait mode? I guess the challenge would be not making the device too thick.
    Remembering the flimsiness of my old Treo 300 hinged cover has me worried about the durability of such a solution. I think they need to stick with a vertical slider or a rotating keyboard but not both.

To solve the top heavy nature of a vertical slider they could split the case something like this where the majority of the "guts" are in the keyboard section.

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mhconley; 01/07/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Joking aside, wasn't there an app that made a burping noise when the card came out of the Treo 600/650, etc.? I can't remember but seem to recall the name PalmBurp.
    Youre thinking of palmpuke. It works as advertised. Saved my bacon a few times honestly.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I rely heavily on Butler, too, but I doubt seriously it will work on the new Palm device. Utilities like Butler are tied too closely to the OS, phone app and hardware. But I'm hoping Butler-like programs won't be necessary. It would be nice if Palm included that sort of functionality in the basic package. I think half of the apps I have on my 755 are there to fill holes that Palm has ignored for way too long. Hopefully, we won't need so many basic utilities with an all new device.
    Well-stated. I could not agree more. The only way I will not miss Butler (and other "band-aid" apps), is if I will not need Butler. Unfortunately,I think that is probably wishful thinking.

Nonetheless, give me some backward compatibility and a great hardware & UI design, and I will absolutely give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    As for new users, I don't see the value proposition for them to spend their time downloading 5 year old apps for a different OS to run in an emulator - it's a bizarre concept.
    I dont think we are looking at it as new Nova users would buy old apps, I would assume that most of the devs out there have or will have kits to dev for the new OS. Pocket Tunes etc.

Im not expecting to go and buy a POS version of Pocket Tunes to work with Nova, Id expect that PTunes had a NOVA version out. BUT for those of use with POS programs or in some cases whole libraries.... I would expect them to work.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Its funny, I thought that right after I posted.
    I probably should have said I want functionality like Butler.

Similarly, half of the Palm Apps I have are like you describe as filling holes - or adding functionality to the OS. I think I have almost every product Hobbyiest makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    Methinks Palm should have hired Rob from Hobbyist software. Not only do his apps fill many of the Treo's inadequacies, but he debugs like there's no tomorrow! It seems that he has more familiarity with Palm than Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post

Martin
    Martin, that is some serious lurking thanks for jumping in
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    westman - I didnt say that they wouldnt also show a phone running Nova tomorrow. It was more to the point that the OS/phone will not be available for months. So it gives 3rd party devs time to write for it.
    The Applications should have already been ready at it's introduction otherwise as usual Palm Has Not Done It's Job!!!