Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Here's hoping the new OS natively solves the problems that have plagued Garnet for so long. Namely, memory cleanup, proper Java support, native bluetooth dialing, mp3 ringers and alerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Sorry but why would they fix any of that ? I can see the point of emulation but why would Palm waste any cash on fixing problems?
    I thought that he was talking about those things being fixed in Nova itself, which is what we would all expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm as cynical as the next geek, but even I don't think most consumers buy apps for being pretty and useless as opposed to useful and less pretty.

Maybe you disagree.
    I don't guess you've seen some of the sales figures for the iPHone store. iBeer? (a glass of beer that sloshes when you shake the phone). Ocarina? (turns the iPHone into an electronic flute, of sorts). People are buying useless, pretty apps by the millions.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't guess you've seen some of the sales figures for the iPHone store. iBeer? (a glass of beer that sloshes when you shake the phone). Ocarina? (turns the iPHone into an electronic flute, of sorts). People are buying useless, pretty apps by the millions.
    Addressed up-thread.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    It doesn't make any sense to me to give the Nova OS backwards compatibility with POS as it would cut into the revenue streams of the developers you are trying to get onboard.
    I think you're crazy. Ok, not you, but the idea that backwards compatability is a bad idea.

It's real simple. If Nova has no backwards compatability, then Palm is like any other smartphone out there -- new OS, plenty of promise, and few software apps (if any). In this way they are NO different than Android, Symbian, Blackberry OS'es which are trying to turn phone OS'es into mobile device platforms with lots of applications. Why would any consumer want yet another new device with no apps when consumers can get plenty of "new with no apps" from Symbian and Blackberry? (and plenty of "new with lots of apps" from iPhone)

If Nova does have backwards compatability, then you've instantly got a new flashy device which has more apps than all the other platforms probably put together (except possibly WinMo/PocketPC).

If Nova isn't backwards compatable, then how could I choose Nova with NO medical software apps compared to iPhone with a growing multitude? Thousands upon tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of physicians like me will look at the same issue and walk away from Palm. Tons of us have Palm PDA's (and probably will for at least a year or two, even if Palm fizzles).

-- Josh
    Y'know, I scoff at some of that stuff, especially on the iPhone, like the application/feature that shows where you are and where your friends/family are.

But we're planning on going to the Presidential inauguration (or at least going near it) and it'd be nice if we could physically meet up with our loved-ones without having to chat constantly. I've long been drooling over the idea of using gps coordinates and the like for separated friends and family to find each other in a crowd, city, or event, but having a visual reference for everyone is even more convenient.
    Location based services are very convenient. I live in Chicago and just being able to look up restaurants around me was very nice on my iPhone.
    Apple's release today was weak. The tech world wants juicy news and I hope Palm is going to deliver. If Nova is 99% backwards compatible, has the slick, snappy UI we all want, has great multimedia support, Corporate email support, Wifi/BT/GPS, app store, and has the hardware to match they are going to have all the spot light.

And if they release Ponies!!! OMG i'll just DIE!!!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Apple's release today was weak. The tech world wants juicy news and I hope Palm is going to deliver. If Nova is 99% backwards compatible, has the slick, snappy UI we all want, has great multimedia support, Corporate email support, Wifi/BT/GPS, app store, and has the hardware to match they are going to have all the spot light.

And if they release Ponies!!! OMG i'll just DIE!!!
    I would be happy with 50% backward compatibility. I really only need a good PIM (which doesn't exist on iphone and android at the moment) and some call management stuff like butler.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I take back what I have said about portrait screen internet experience. State-of-the-art mobile internet experience is doable on a portrait screen. In fact, capacitive portrait screen can be the best choice if implemented properly with split screen techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I would be happy with 50% backward compatibility. I really only need a good PIM (which doesn't exist on iphone and android at the moment) and some call management stuff like butler.
    I rely heavily on Butler, too, but I doubt seriously it will work on the new Palm device. Utilities like Butler are tied too closely to the OS, phone app and hardware. But I'm hoping Butler-like programs won't be necessary. It would be nice if Palm included that sort of functionality in the basic package. I think half of the apps I have on my 755 are there to fill holes that Palm has ignored for way too long. Hopefully, we won't need so many basic utilities with an all new device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I think you're crazy. Ok, not you, but the idea that backwards compatability is a bad idea.

It's real simple. If Nova has no backwards compatability, then Palm is like any other smartphone out there -- new OS, plenty of promise, and few software apps (if any). In this way they are NO different than Android, Symbian, Blackberry OS'es which are trying to turn phone OS'es into mobile device platforms with lots of applications. Why would any consumer want yet another new device with no apps when consumers can get plenty of "new with no apps" from Symbian and Blackberry? (and plenty of "new with lots of apps" from iPhone)

If Nova does have backwards compatability, then you've instantly got a new flashy device which has more apps than all the other platforms probably put together (except possibly WinMo/PocketPC).

If Nova isn't backwards compatable, then how could I choose Nova with NO medical software apps compared to iPhone with a growing multitude? Thousands upon tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of physicians like me will look at the same issue and walk away from Palm. Tons of us have Palm PDA's (and probably will for at least a year or two, even if Palm fizzles).

-- Josh
    But where's the revenue for developers if you are just going to use your old apps in an emulator? We already know that palm apps don't sell at sufficient levels for developers to continue production because older users already own the apps they want and centro owners don't buy apps. Let's say I'm agendus - I know you like my product, so I'd prefer to sell you a Nova OS version than have you use the Palm OS version you already own.

As for new users, I don't see the value proposition for them to spend their time downloading 5 year old apps for a different OS to run in an emulator - it's a bizarre concept.
    But where's the revenue for developers if you are just going to use your old apps in an emulator? We already know that palm apps don't sell at sufficient levels for developers to continue production because older users already own the apps they want and centro owners don't buy apps. Let's say I'm agendus - I know you like my product, so I'd prefer to sell you a Nova OS version than have you use the Palm OS version you already own.

As for new users, I don't see the value proposition for them to spend their time downloading 5 year old apps for a different OS to run in an emulator - it's a bizarre concept.
    I suspect that there are some developers that have moved on from Palm OS but still have their old apps available for purchase. If no one creates an app to replace theirs the end user might not have any choice but to use an emulator. The revenue for the developer would be keeping the user hooked on using their product would make a Nova version (should that choose to write one) much easier to sell. I don't think any S/W version run on an emulator is going to be as good as one written for the primary OS...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I rely heavily on Butler, too, but I doubt seriously it will work on the new Palm device. Utilities like Butler are tied too closely to the OS, phone app and hardware. But I'm hoping Butler-like programs won't be necessary. It would be nice if Palm included that sort of functionality in the basic package. I think half of the apps I have on my 755 are there to fill holes that Palm has ignored for way too long. Hopefully, we won't need so many basic utilities with an all new device.
    Its funny, I thought that right after I posted.
    I probably should have said I want functionality like Butler.

Similarly, half of the Palm Apps I have are like you describe as filling holes - or adding functionality to the OS. I think I have almost every product Hobbyiest makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    How long will it take Palm to has it's 3rd party developers redo their apps for "Nova", till they do it will look like the same old application. Hopefully Palm has done their homework with their vendors and we have a host of Nova ready applications ready tomorrow? Too much to ask for? Palm owes us that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    How long will it take Palm to has it's 3rd party developers redo their apps for "Nova", till they do it will look like the same old application. Hopefully Palm has done their homework with their vendors and we have a host of Nova ready applications ready tomorrow? Too much to ask for? Palm owes us that!!
    Considering how hush-hush this has been, it may be asking too much too soon.
    But where's the revenue for developers if you are just going to use your old apps in an emulator?
    In newer, better fart and burp apps, apparently.
    This is so un-Palm like. It is a day before a new product announcement and their are no REAL leaked photos all over the internet. Either Palm has tightened up it new product introductory process or there really is no new phone coming out tomorrow.

I hope the reality is better processes at Palm and these improved processes have lead to a revolutionary new phone.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    This is so un-Palm like. It is a day before a new product announcement and their are no REAL leaked photos all over the internet. Either Palm has tightened up it new product introductory process or there really is no new phone coming out tomorrow.

I hope the reality is better processes at Palm and these improved processes have lead to a revolutionary new phone.
    Palm has some Apple veterans on their team now. They are running a tight ship.

And apparently several developers are already in the loop and have developed applications.............
    Let's not forget tomorrow is just the announcement, it will be months before any new phone is available. So they have time for developers that might have already been told (NDA) or new ones to start working on it.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Considering how hush-hush this has been, it may be asking too much too soon.
    I doubt we will see a phone (released) for a good six months, so plenty of time for people to code. *however* the amount of people coding will depend on the reception the platform gets and if a carrier picks it up.
    Last edited by CGK; 01/07/2009 at 09:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Let's not forget tomorrow is just the announcement, it will be months before any new phone is available. So they have time for developers that might have already been told (NDA) or new ones to start working on it.
    Well, part of the rumor is that they'll unveil a phone, as well. And I hope the rumor's right.

They need to.