Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffj View Post
    My son downloaded an app for his G1 that makes LightSabre noises when you move it around. Totally non-useful, but really fun.
    Not accusing you of anything, but it's funny how these things scoot away from the point by fractions of degrees.

"Useful" can be defined by entertainment value as well as productivity.*

None of this changes the point that having an application inventory from the start can be a big plus and thus an incentive for backwards compatibility. It's also one of the things I consider when choosing a new device.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I hope they dont throw in alot of gimmicky features just for show. Like I think the iPhone does while still not having simple things like copy n paste!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    None of this changes the point that having an application inventory from the start can be a big plus and thus an incentive for backwards compatibility. It's also one of the things I consider when choosing a new device.
    Me too. Any device I buy in the future absolutely has to be able to run Epocrates. One easy way to ensure Nova support with out any or very little from the epocrates developers would be backwards compatibility. And that would ensure it is ready at launch.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Samsung Propel is a thin and light slider with qwerty keypad. It is not touch screen though.
    Just imagine a longer screen on that, with d-pad and buttons at the bottom.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku3050250
    Last edited by icesalmon; 01/06/2009 at 04:31 PM.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    Samsung Propel is a thin and light slider with qwerty keyboard. It is not touch screen though.
    Just imagine a longer screen on that, with d-pad and buttons at the bottom.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku3050250
    hum.. so think about the design here with a full screen instead of the roller -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    Me too. Any device I buy in the future absolutely has to be able to run Epocrates. One easy way to ensure Nova support with out any or very little from the epocrates developers would be backwards compatibility. And that would ensure it is ready at launch.
    Bingo. It's like just about any relationship, how willing you are to go to the next level depends on how invested you already are ... in the person, financial entity, device, etc.

I've spent a nice chunk of change on my applications. I don't want to have to start over. That's a big factor in my purchasing and I'm not alone in that. If it's important to the consumer, it's worth a bit of the manufacturer's consideration.

One reason I don't want to move over to Windows Mobile is because I've got a suite of applications that would become useless. One reason I've been open to Windows Mobile is because the gps/mapping software on my Treo IS compatible with Windows Mobile. I'd have to change the formats of some stuff, but I wouldn't HAVE to buy new software... and even if I chose to buy new software, I hopefully wouldn't have a hard time getting the old data transferred or translated to my new set-up.

Some folks keep their phones for several months and then move on. I kept my 650 for 2 and a half years. I've had my 755p for a year and a half and it's still going strong. My next device may not be compatible with either of these devices' software or hardware, but the ones that are have a better chance of getting my $$$ than the ones that are not.

I loved being able to use some of my old accessories, for instance, with my 755p.
    My alternative:
    Right now my T650 is my back-up / travel phone... running ALL of my apps.

If PALM doesn't deliver what I want... I may move on and use my T680 as my productive device (no REAL need for a laptop) using ALL of those apps I have customized and bought.
    (a T680 with the phone off LASTS a long while... lol)

I remember the days of two portable devices (pda + phone (via BT))

I already have my eye an a Nokia phone... =/
    (or is that Palm OS emulation s/w on WinMob really usable?)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by renn View Post
    Hope developers with strong apps quickly re-fresh solid ideas over to Nova. Palm can do a lot of what iPhone is doing, if Palm is able to make the Nova internet and google-experience look&perform as well as apple, half the battle is won imho. iTunes makes iPhone look hotter, if apple didnt have iTunes Palm would have a easier battle.

Hope Linux works for Palm.
    Also, location based services will be huge. If Palm has dedicated apps like Facebook, Myspace, Loopt, Twitter, etc. available in addition to things like Yelp and Urban Spoon at/around launch, I think it'll help Nova immensely.
    It's time for a camera that's worth a damn.

And I really hope I can get to the frickin' sd card slot without a crowbar and c-note.
    Palm would be mad to not provide backward compatibility. Palm users are the first group who will rush out and buy the Nova phone and many of us have favourite programs which we would not like to do without.

I think that it's a sure thing. My reading of past material is that there is a committment to provide it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Also, location based services will be huge. If Palm has dedicated apps like Facebook, Myspace, Loopt, Twitter, etc. available in addition to things like Yelp and Urban Spoon at/around launch, I think it'll help Nova immensely.
    Y'know, I scoff at some of that stuff, especially on the iPhone, like the application/feature that shows where you are and where your friends/family are.

But we're planning on going to the Presidential inauguration (or at least going near it) and it'd be nice if we could physically meet up with our loved-ones without having to chat constantly. I've long been drooling over the idea of using gps coordinates and the like for separated friends and family to find each other in a crowd, city, or event, but having a visual reference for everyone is even more convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Palm would be mad to not provide backward compatibility. Palm users are the first group who will rush out and buy the Nova phone and many of us have favourite programs which we would not like to do without.

I think that it's a sure thing. My reading of past material is that there is a committment to provide it.
    Y'know, that reminds me of something. It's not just about how well something sells; it's about how well it opens, too!

Movies may or may not gain momentum over time. Their dvd sales may be surprisingly high. Any number of things could happen, but what they're largely judged by are the numbers on the opening weekend, week, etc.

The momentum they build from that point on is often a direct result of their opening numbers. SO, if Palm junkies are really interested in keeping their old, "terrible" looking applications, allowing them to do so could bolster initial sales and keep the device "relevant" beyond the first week of buzz.

Oh yeah. Can I add something else to my wish-list? I don't wanna hafta use Outlook to see my new Treo SuchNSuch's PIM items on my pc.

It's nice to not have to tell a caller to hold while you search through your phone for an appointment time or phone number... all the while hoping the app doesn't time-out and/or that the keys don't beep in the caller's ear. I just want to be able to walk over to my pc and check, if it's available, at the time.
    With regard to apps, Tunji Afonja from Gx5 wrote and said the other day that while he couldn't reveal his sources, he's pretty sure that Nova will be open.

In his blog, he says:

"Based on chatter and a few people I have spoken to, I think the new Palm OS with regards to third party apps will pick up where Apple left off with web apps."

You can read more of what he says here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    A clever approach might be to integrate something like pRevolt into the Garnet emulator. I'm just speculating here; I'm not a programmer.

Also, I'm thinking a lot of current developers will want to update their software for Nova--aesthetically, functionally, both.

Yea a lot of current developers that stuck around with POS.
    But what about the Developers that jumped ship since 06-07. Them guys left us out in the cold.
    Such apps as:

KeyCap
    CallFilter *This one is a crucial one on my behalf*
    Verichat *R.I.P*
    TextPlus.

What about the apps that work well???
    Mundu (this is the best IM app (next to verichat) I have seen on smart phones that actually looks like the IM on a PC. It's AIm is the closest to the sidekick's that I have seen.

And correct me if I'm wrong... But isn't chatter Mail Done. There won't be anymore versions updated??

These are all apps that blow any other smart phone out of the water.

I was having a conversation the other day with this guy that used to have a 650 and then a 755.
    He traded the 755 for a BB curve. The guy loves the curve!!! He was ranting on about how it runs laps around the treo. Mind you this Guy is like 55-57. He doesn't know about this website nor of the endless apps that work with/on POS. So I told him: "Yea BB are better out of the box because they do what they weren't meant to do, with out putting anything in them."
    But as far as the customability of a treo, BB doesn't stand a chance.
    It's like walking around with a PC in your pocket.
    The point is; If palm doesn't run these simple minor apps that make treos so smooth, they'll begin to add up. And eventually they are going to amount to nova just being a brand new smart phone that has to start from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fully_Amazing View Post
    So I told him: "Yea BB are better out of the box because they do what they weren't meant to do, with out putting anything in them."
    Is that a typo? "they do what they WEREN'T meant to do"

I've zero Blackberry experience, so I wasn't sure if that was deliberate or not. My eyes got big at the idea of what I assumed to be "out of the box customization."
    Bingo. It's like just about any relationship, how willing you are to go to the next level depends on how invested you already are ... in the person, financial entity, device, etc.

I've spent a nice chunk of change on my applications. I don't want to have to start over. That's a big factor in my purchasing and I'm not alone in that. If it's important to the consumer, it's worth a bit of the manufacturer's consideration.

One reason I don't want to move over to Windows Mobile is because I've got a suite of applications that would become useless. One reason I've been open to Windows Mobile is because the gps/mapping software on my Treo IS compatible with Windows Mobile. I'd have to change the formats of some stuff, but I wouldn't HAVE to buy new software... and even if I chose to buy new software, I hopefully wouldn't have a hard time getting the old data transferred or translated to my new set-up.

Some folks keep their phones for several months and then move on. I kept my 650 for 2 and a half years. I've had my 755p for a year and a half and it's still going strong. My next device may not be compatible with either of these devices' software or hardware, but the ones that are have a better chance of getting my $$$ than the ones that are not.

I loved being able to use some of my old accessories, for instance, with my 755p.

Co-Sign!!!!!
    Is that a typo? "they do what they WEREN'T meant to do"

I've zero Blackberry experience, so I wasn't sure if that was deliberate or not. My eyes got big at the idea of what I assumed to be "out of the box customization."

LOL
    Yea my bad on the typo.
    I meant "They do what they were meant to do"

This guy is about 57 years old. He doesn't care much for putting apps in his phone. He does real estate. He just wants something that has push e-mail and can text. Now I messed with my brother's curve... and the BB email doesn't compare to Chatter.

What I was trying to get across was; For people that use a smart phone just for business and don't know anything about apps or where to find them... then a BB is just right for them. But for someone like you or I, BB seem very simple, (at least to me they do)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Joking aside, wasn't there an app that made a burping noise when the card came out of the Treo 600/650, etc.? I can't remember but seem to recall the name PalmBurp.
    I know we're getting off topic here and I'm somewhat embarrassed that I know this but.... It was called PalmPuke. It was very useful on my Treo 600 to let me know if the SD card got ejected accidentally. Fortunately, Palm has resolved the issue of the SD card sticking out of the phone so this app is no longer needed on newer models.

However, as many others have said, there are so many great POS (Garnet) based applications already out there that it could really jump start the new "NOVA" OS if it were able to run all of them. Palm would need a slick and easy way to showcase them all and make it very easy and secure for users to purchase, download and install them directly from their phone (OTA).

I find it interesting when people brag about something that they can do on their iPhone when it is something that we have been able to do with our Treo's for a long time now. Palm was just not able to market the Treo like the iPhone has been. It's also possible that Palm was just afraid to market all of the third party applications because so many of them would cause Garnet to reset or other applications to lag, etc. If they are able to run the old applications in a multitasking environment with memory protection so that they can't bring down the entire OS, that would be a big jump start for Nova.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts

This guy is about 57 years old. He doesn't care much for putting apps in his phone. He does real estate. He just wants something that has push e-mail and can text. Now I messed with my brother's curve... and the BB email doesn't compare to Chatter.

What I was trying to get across was; For people that use a smart phone just for business and don't know anything about apps or where to find them... then a BB is just right for them. But for someone like you or I, BB seem very simple, (at least to me they do)
    But it's also to do with how a phone is marketed and priced - the centro is running Palm OS and yet Centro owners don't buy apps, two million new devices didn't lead to a goldrush for developers.
    If palm doesn't run these simple minor apps that make treos so smooth, they'll begin to add up. And eventually they are going to amount to nova just being a brand new smart phone that has to start from scratch.
    Exactly! And if I have to start from scratch why on earth would I want to do it on a device from a company that has the history Palm does especially when it comes to overall health of the company... Nova would have to be something magical...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast