Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Look at how utterly terrible most POS applications look, that's not exactly what consumers want.
    A clever approach might be to integrate something like pRevolt into the Garnet emulator. I'm just speculating here; I'm not a programmer.

Also, I'm thinking a lot of current developers will want to update their software for Nova--aesthetically, functionally, both.
    "We have information from a trusted source that the latest Palm smartphone running the Nova operating system will be launched Thursday. The new phone will have a full QWERTY keyboard that will slide down under a portrait-oriented touchscreen."
    Note it is worded as a "slide down" keyboard, not a "slide-out" keyboard. Maybe my shot-in-the-dark-T3 idea is close.

I think with that idea, you could have a much thinner device than a slider that conceals the keyboard...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=137
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't know that they look so terrible, but a lot of working apps sound better than a few pretty ones.

Is there any evidence that mainstream consumers are more interesting in working apps rather than pretty funny apps? because if there is, I haven't seen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Note it is worded as a "slide down" keyboard, not a "slide-out" keyboard. Maybe my shot-in-the-dark-T3 idea is close.

I think with that idea, you could have a much thinner device than a slider that conceals the keyboard...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=137
    It's an interesting idea (that I wouldn't have understood without the pic; thanks) but I still don't know that it would be that beneficial.

I never* wish my screen were longer. I have wished it were wider.

* - Or more precisely, I don't recall ever...
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My sister has this phone:

http://www.wireless.att.com/global/M...760a_red_l.gif

It slides down and is extremely thin and easy to hold. It's the Sony Eriksson Walkman. Why would a slider have to be thick? This one isn't. I know it would have to be wider.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is there any evidence that mainstream consumers are more interesting in working apps rather than pretty funny apps? because if there is, I haven't seen it.
    I'm as cynical as the next geek, but even I don't think most consumers buy apps for being pretty and useless as opposed to useful and less pretty.

Maybe you disagree.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    My sister has this phone:

http://www.wireless.att.com/global/M...760a_red_l.gif

It slides down and is extremely thin and easy to hold. It's the Sony Eriksson Walkman. Why would a slider have to be thick? This one isn't. I know it would have to be wider.
    But it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard which has a different spacing requirement, as discussed up thread, the only phones with vertical sliders that are qwerty seem to have "misfits" that never took over and were never refreshed with 2.0 version.
    I don't know that they look so terrible, but a lot of working apps sound better than a few pretty ones.
    Look at whats in the app store - a pretty GUI is definitely something that will draw consumers. Most of the POS apps these days are outdated and garbage anyways, but there are still a lot of strong applications out there. Hopefully alot of that won't matter as a lot of strong functionality will make it into the new OS itself.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    But it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard which has a different spacing requirement, as discussed up thread, the only phones with vertical sliders that are qwerty seem to have "misfits" that never took over and were never refreshed with 2.0 version.
    It also doesn't have a touchscreen, which tends to add to the thickness.
    Look at whats in the app store - a pretty GUI is definitely something that will draw consumers. Most of the POS apps these days are outdated and garbage anyways, but there are still a lot of strong applications out there. Hopefully alot of that won't matter as a lot of strong functionality will make it into the new OS itself.
    Hopefully so.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm as cynical as the next geek, but even I don't think most consumers buy apps for being pretty and useless as opposed to useful and less pretty.

Maybe you disagree.

One of the best selling apps at the istore is Ifart - an app that makes a farting noise when you move your phone.
    One of the best selling apps at the istore is Ifart - an app that makes a farting noise when you move your phone.
    Hopefully whatever Palm is cooking up has an accelerometer so we can take advantage of such useful software!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Yeah, I don't quite understand that one... Maybe it is so popular just because it is new and unique (I don't think I have ever heard of a phone used that way before). Originality and trend factor are things to consider when talking about what the general public is looking for, that is about the only reason I can see paying for an app that I might find funny for about a day.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Hopefully whatever Palm is cooking up has an accelerometer so we can take advantage of such useful software!
    What a rip-off, Palm users would prefer something more original, like an app that makes a burping sound when you move the device....farting...so sophomoric
    ...- a pretty GUI is definitely something that will draw consumers. Most of the POS apps these days are outdated and garbage anyways, but there are still a lot of strong applications out there....
    Hope developers with strong apps quickly re-fresh solid ideas over to Nova. Palm can do a lot of what iPhone is doing, if Palm is able to make the Nova internet and google-experience look&perform as well as apple, half the battle is won imho. iTunes makes iPhone look hotter, if apple didnt have iTunes Palm would have a easier battle.

Hope Linux works for Palm.
    Man, I can't believe not a single photo leak yet! Palm's really keeping a tight ship on this one. I'm still anxious to see what they've cooked up even though I probably have no interest in a slider unless they have achieved something revolutionary in terms of ease of one-handed opening, closing and using.
    With no major Apple iPhone news this week, Palm is going to have the spot light. Hope they make good use of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    What a rip-off, Palm users would prefer something more original, like an app that makes a burping sound when you move the device....farting...so sophomoric
    Joking aside, wasn't there an app that made a burping noise when the card came out of the Treo 600/650, etc.? I can't remember but seem to recall the name PalmBurp.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    With no major Apple iPhone news this week, Palm is going to have the spot light. Hope they make good use of it!
    *hopes so hard*
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Joking aside, wasn't there an app that made a burping noise when the card came out of the Treo 600/650, etc.? I can't remember but seem to recall the name PalmBurp.
    My son downloaded an app for his G1 that makes LightSabre noises when you move it around. Totally non-useful, but really fun.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast