Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    So Im back to WebOS. I got very tired of all things google. Tired of the political agendas etc.. besides i never really liked android (or iOS for that matter). So going through my parts bin I noticed i still had 4 pre's all of which were broken. Heres what I had

2x Sprint pre-
    2x Verizon Pre 2

Managed to cobble together A verizon pre 2 by replacing the broken screen (and gesture control board of course) with a pre- (I sure miss the rubberized screen from the pre 2 though lol) The phone works great although i havent activated it yet. (See concerns below). I've spent the last week and a half scouring the boards (and pivotce and many other places) looking for info as of course I was aware that WebOS is pretty dead (in the eyes of lesser beings that is) and have pretty much figured out everything I need. I downloaded the entire contents of the app catalog FTP (will be making a torrent soon) I managed to download ALMOST all doctors (all versions from all models) as most likely I will end up with numerous devices.

Some concerns/questions

1. I of course did the devmode activation bypass (giving me a Dr SFU account) but i think i read somewhere that you either cant send/receive calls or text (or both)? I can't confirm as I havent activated the phone yet. I have been dealing with verizon a lot lately and the rep in the store (very knowledgeable I might add) assures me it will work.

2. IM - This is an important one for me. My partner sometimes goes to an area where there is ZERO cell service. It's literally 1960 there. There is WiFi however so some form of communication over the net is needed. I have been playing with the messaging plugin and of course most of them are non working now. I managed to get ICQ and Jabber working. The problem is receiving missed messages while offline is a bit wonky. If I Manually sign out from the buddies tab (then get a new msg) and sign back in it works. I get the new msg and notifications etc.. However If I loose connection (only tested via WiFi but i assume cell connection is the same) while STILL logged in to the IM account then restore connection I do not get messages sent during that time. I believe it's because loosing connection theres no way to notify the service (tried 2 jabber servers and ICQ) that I am "Offline". Heres how to reproduce it (if someone else is willing to give it a go)

This works
    1.Sign in
    2.Sign out staying connected (WiFi/3G)
    3.Get a new msg (from another person/device)
    4.Sign back in. New msg will be pushed and you get notification.

This doesn't work
    1.Sign in
    2. Loose connection (turn off WiFi/3G or power off the phone)
    3.Get a new msg.
    4.Sign back in. (reconnect WiFi/3G or power phone back on).

When looking at "My" contact info on the sending device When I turn off WiFi (power off the phone) It still shows "Me" as online on the senders device. I waited for an hour to see if the server would poll/ping me and then drop me (like IRC) but it does not.
    Any way if anyone has any ideas on it (or another solution) I would be very interested in it. I have grown up now and my phone needs have changed. Im on WebOS forever now. I just came from a ZTE Zmax pro 6" but I no longer care/need anything like that. Ive loved WebOS since day 1. Its the only thing I found to be "Fun" to use and not just functional. No idea why but just holding a pre in my hand and hearing the swoosh as i swipe away cards is so super satisfying.

Also a little off topic. As im not sure if i can post this here and if he see's this.

Preemptive Would it be OK for me to PM a question to you?
    Rnp, barryb20 and horzel like this.
    As far as calls and texts, everything works fine except for mms on T-Mobile I believe. Activating the verizon pre2 is as easy as dialing *228 and reprogramming for the number you want. You have to know your account pin. Welcome back. Also a verizon pre3 would blow your mind. I'd look into it if I were you. I know google chat works but likely falls into the same offline message issue. I'm happy to provide one on one support too. Twitter or PM here is cool.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by ami mizuno View Post
    Preemptive Would it be OK for me to PM a question to you?
    Yes, but I'm not much of an expert!
    I mainly just summarise everyone else's expertise.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    As far as calls and texts, everything works fine except for mms on T-Mobile I believe. Activating the verizon pre2 is as easy as dialing *228 and reprogramming for the number you want. You have to know your account pin. Welcome back. Also a verizon pre3 would blow your mind. I'd look into it if I were you. I know google chat works but likely falls into the same offline message issue. I'm happy to provide one on one support too. Twitter or PM here is cool.
    Thanks Alan im glad to hear that at least the basic phone services will work. I wont be on TMO anymore as now Verizon has basically a similar service (for what i need).
    Agreed I would kill for a Pre 3 but I cant find one. Even if i could Im kinda low on cash atm due to a serious emergency. I definately want one as I plan on doing some WebOS dev (been a programmer for 25 years) once I get over the learning curve (I do mostly low level kernel, asm/C dev).

I Thought google chat services were shutdown already in favor of hangouts. Would love to try testing it out. Maybe a starting point?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Yes, but I'm not much of an expert!
    I mainly just summarise everyone else's expertise.
    Nah mostly an availability Q just not sure if its one im allowed to ask publicly. PM sent : )
    Thanks Alan im glad to hear that at least the basic phone services will work. I wont be on TMO anymore as now Verizon has basically a similar service (for what i need).
    Agreed I would kill for a Pre 3 but I cant find one. Even if i could Im kinda low on cash atm due to a serious emergency. I definately want one as I plan on doing some WebOS dev (been a programmer for 25 years) once I get over the learning curve (I do mostly low level kernel, asm/C dev).

I Thought google chat services were shutdown already in favor of hangouts. Would love to try testing it out. Maybe a starting point?
    Just checked and google works fine. Follow my fixing google synergy guide on pivotCE. The LuneOS dev team needs you!
    Follow me on Twitter
    ami mizuno likes this.
    I am pretty sure I have a case of Verizon Pre3's around here somewhere, although I only know where 1 is at this exact moment.

Also, someone with your ability to work with things should probably work with the LuneOS people :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    ami mizuno likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Just checked and google works fine. Follow my fixing google synergy guide on pivotCE. The LuneOS dev team needs you!
    Nice I will look into that. I dont have a google chat accnt unless i can just use the one gmail i had for android

I've been looking at LuneOS a lot lately. Im not a fan of newer HW so much my idea is to port LuneOS concepts to the legacy devices lol. Clearly not the OS but some portions of it.

We could for sure use some help on kernel/C(++) and asm level on #LuneOS (open source webOS version developed by community, currently running on N4, N5, Touchpad, VirtualBox and also more or less on RaspberryPi 2/3). We have pretty much working IM plugins for recent pidgin already. Backporting to legacy webOS shouldn't be too hard. I have 1 or 2 Verizon Pre 3's laying around gathering dust that I'd gladly send to a nice home
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    ami mizuno likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I am pretty sure I have a case of Verizon Pre3's around here somewhere, although I only know where 1 is at this exact moment.

Also, someone with your ability to work with things should probably work with the LuneOS people :-)
    Holy **** that would be super fantastic. Depending on the cost (im kinda in a pit on cash right now but wont be forever) i wouldnt mind 2.

The idea for me is i Need at least one of each device (pixi/veer/tp/pre*) but would like 2 of some of them. I can find veer's and pixi and TP's all day long on ebay. Problem is the pre's They have 0 3's and all the pre2's are actually pre+ being sold as 2's

I have started a parts bin (back in the day i bought new pre2's by the pair at $40 each NIB on ebay/amazon. my old job was hard on them). I have guts for about 8 pre's (no other devices) i only lack screens as those are typically what broke on them. I managed to repaire 3 carriages that had the oreo effect so if i had the screens i could have 2 pre 2's and 2 pre-'s fully functional.

So if anyone wants to empty their parts bin (cheaply lol) let me know.

As for LuneOS its not off the table but I need to focus on getting up to speed with WebOS. (closest ive done in mobile dev is a Windows Clone for my TI-92_ voyage v200 calcs). So ill probably start with some patches. Namely i noticed some conflicts with the adv msg pref's patch and the set msg avatar patch. my idea is to combine them (adding avatar support into tweaks).
    Grrr... my PM replies are not getting though without a struggle - must be the awesomeness filter. I've passed your request on and will look into it, but I don't currently know the answer.

PLEEEASE get involved in LuneOS! ;-)

No one will complain if you you port things back to legacy and with the recent port of Qt5, there are a few LuneOS things that could be used. You may have noticed we recently got a new QupZilla browser. The recently begun webOS user group has a few projects to keep legacy running until LuneOS is ready - feel free to join. Ultimately of course, the old hardware has memory and speed limits and LuneOS on newer hardware will be the future I think.
    ami mizuno likes this.
  12.    #12  
    I agree that bigger, faster, stronger exists but I have 2 main issues.

1. I dont need a 64 core 7.2Ghz 128GB memory with 64TB storage PHONE. Looking at the specs of some of these phones (note i was exxagerating) drives me nuts. Most of them rival or exceed most modern desktop pc's If the software running on that type of HW requires that then it might be time to look into optimizing the SW. Note android is really super bad at that. iOS is only slightly better and the new win10 garbage dont even get me started.

2. I just dont like how EVERYTHING is candy bar. I love the feel and shape of the legacy devices. Slightly larger screens would be nice but meh. beggers cant be choosers.

I appreciate you looking into my Q though. Lately ive been overcoming the internet problem by mooching off walmart wifi. If course that means I have to go sit at walmart for hours. lol not what i consider a good time.
  13.    #13  
    Well I followed the guide and had some luck. I got the account to create and get to the part where I have to get the tokens. After getting tokens and signing back in I get an error that says tokens could not be retrieved (not exact wording). If I try logging in to my account from the account app I get "Unknown error".. My IM status just hangs at "Logging in".

Im going to try again later and put this on hold for a minute because i may be doctoring again. (Note in the last week ive doctored 14 times already lol). I will certainly pick your brain some more later. Thanks for the help.
    Let me know if you need a doctor or two. I have some magical metadrs laying around. Make sure your date and time are correct.
    Follow me on Twitter
    ami mizuno likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Let me know if you need a doctor or two. I have some magical metadrs laying around. Make sure your date and time are correct.
    Well im not sure if we are even allowed to but if i suddenly found a copy of the super verizon 224 metaDr located somewhere ... To Quote Jerome Howard

"I wouldnt say yes and i couldnt say no."
    "Would you say maybe?"
    "I Might."

The answer to communicating with your partner over WiFi may lie at the other end.

What kind of phone does your partner have? If Android or iOS, they could sign up for a TextNow account (or another similar service). They'd get a second phone number that works over WiFi and which would text very reliably. I've used TextNow when travelling, and it picks up missed messages perfectly after I've been off WiFi and then reconnected.

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    The answer to communicating with your partner over WiFi may lie at the other end.

What kind of phone does your partner have? If Android or iOS, they could sign up for a TextNow account (or another similar service). They'd get a second phone number that works over WiFi and which would text very reliably. I've used TextNow when travelling, and it picks up missed messages perfectly after I've been off WiFi and then reconnected.

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    We both plan to use Pre's. What we've done up until now is used facebook which I can still do on my end using my PC. We plan on dropping facebook too in favor of minds.com.
    Rnp likes this.
    I agree that bigger, faster, stronger exists but I have 2 main issues.

1. I dont need a 64 core 7.2Ghz 128GB memory with 64TB storage PHONE. Looking at the specs of some of these phones (note i was exxagerating) drives me nuts. Most of them rival or exceed most modern desktop pc's If the software running on that type of HW requires that then it might be time to look into optimizing the SW. Note android is really super bad at that. iOS is only slightly better and the new win10 garbage dont even get me started.

2. I just dont like how EVERYTHING is candy bar. I love the feel and shape of the legacy devices. Slightly larger screens would be nice but meh. beggers cant be choosers.

I appreciate you looking into my Q though. Lately ive been overcoming the internet problem by mooching off walmart wifi. If course that means I have to go sit at walmart for hours. lol not what i consider a good time.
    Exactly this, why do I need an octa core processor to run my phone? Answer people play games, the OS itself shouldn't need that, hell I believe a flavour of Windows 10 runs on the Raspberry Pie!!

With android its like, we are running some sloppy / inefficient code, MORE POWER!!!

The Pre fits so nicely in the hand, it is almost organic IMO. But no, companies decide lets give you ever slimmer devices in the name of vanity? Bragging rights? Skinny Jeans? I don't want a phone that doubles as a razor!

You make me want to dig out my Pre 2 and say bugger it to my other phones lol. Only problem is WhatsApp which I use a lot and Spotify music streaming which I also use from my phone to my car stereo.
    ami mizuno and Rnp like this.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Exactly this, why do I need an octa core processor to run my phone? Answer people play games, the OS itself shouldn't need that, hell I believe a flavour of Windows 10 runs on the Raspberry Pie!!

With android its like, we are running some sloppy / inefficient code, MORE POWER!!!

The Pre fits so nicely in the hand, it is almost organic IMO. But no, companies decide lets give you ever slimmer devices in the name of vanity? Bragging rights? Skinny Jeans? I don't want a phone that doubles as a razor!

You make me want to dig out my Pre 2 and say bugger it to my other phones lol. Only problem is WhatsApp which I use a lot and Spotify music streaming which I also use from my phone to my car stereo.
    haha I did exactly that. I simply outgrew the latest trend. I've had every Note and S* made (except the blowy uppy note). Every phone you could imagine. more than 2 dozen since i "took a vacation from webos". NOTHING and i mean nothing made me as happy as my pre. it feels good in the hand and webos is simply fun. Its so satisfying i find myself opening cards and quckly dismissing them before they get a chance to go fullscreen. Its like a game to see how many times you can do it in a row. The swooshy dismisal sound is just as satisfying as the clicky tactile feel of a brand new Chery MX Blue switch. Get the clip holster and you look so sleek and professional like a baws.

Now on to the hopefully help.
    Isnt Whatsapp just jabber? i.e XMPP? You can get abber working i have it on my p2 now. Unless theres some app specific feature that the msg'ing app doesnt have that you need.
    Rnp likes this.
    Hey Ami,

Not sure exactly the protocol that WhatsApp uses is, there has been some attempts at a webOS version, I did have that running a while back but it wasn't hugely reliable for me, I think to complicate matters it got removed due to FB buying WhatsApp, worst thing for the application IMO.

The problem is the number of friends I have that use WhatsApp on Android and iPhone don't really want to go back to text messages
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast