Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nkelsey
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    Warning, noob alert!
    Hey, I'm new to webOS and to this forum (sorry if I shouldn't be starting a new thread). However I am not new to amazing mobile devices that have been unfairly abandoned by the large companies as I own the Nokia n900 and n9 phones, amongst others. I also have reasonable linux experience, and do some programming, though I'm no pro with either. I currently own two Palm Pre 2's, one I got off a bad ebay seller (to cut a long story short I ended up with the device and a refund), it has a screen problem and one day I will try replacing the screen. The other device is in the post and should arrive in a few days (used, like new condition).
    I've worked though the 2014 guide using my dodgy device and have bypassed activation and installed all the nice patches and the kernel, as preparation for when my better device arrives. There are two main things I would like to do that I am struggling to understand:

1) I would like all the bits needed for MotionApps Classic to run on my device. I have read through some threads and found fairly easy to follow instructions for getting Classic on webOS 2.1.0 but don't know about 2.2.4.

2) I would like to create a space to install Debian onto my device. I have found a guide to doing this manually but understand that Meta-Doctor is the recommended way.

So my questions are these; does Meta-Doctor still work in 2017 (can it still download from servers), I have a collection of webOS Doctor files but don't know how to rename them or where to place them so that Meta-Doctor wont need to download them. I have read of a super script for Verizon Palm Pre 2 that includes the bits needed for Classic in webOS 2.2.4, however I am in the UK where there is no Verizon, would this lock my device to an unusable carrier? Could I unlock it after? How large a partition is it possible to make for a Debian system (I just want to know the potential, not to necessarily use the largest). Can the Debian system be updated to say Wheezy, or even better the Unstable Sid, or will it cause problems if I go poking at it. Does anyone have an already doctored webOS Doctor file that would acheive some or all of what I want without much struggle?
    Lastly in the future I would like to try making some apps for the Pre 2, I already have resonable JavaScript/HTML5 skills, as well as a few other languages, and I have downloaded some SDK files. The files I have include HP_webOS_SDK-Win-3.0.5-676-x64 and many .vmdk image files for different webOS versions, what I don't know is; is this Mojo, or Enyo, or something else. I also don't know how to install this properly or set up the emulator, if anyone has any links to clear guides, or has done this themself maybe they could help me. If anyone has, or knows where to get the Eclipse plugin for webOS development that would also be great. The last thing about development I am curious about is if it is possible to use QT to make apps, I found a guide but it was dated and required a file I couldn't download, not sure if this was ever stable.
    Sorry for the long post and all the questions, there is so much to learn with a new system. Kind regards to anyone who reads this or can help me.
    Hello,

and welcome to the forum. Sorry if nobody answered more quickly, but i guess it's a summer effect :P

About your first question, I think it's enough if you install this (includes the framework and the app)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m05n6iv4ba...armv7.ipk?dl=0
    Remember that you need to have wifi off when launching, otherwise you'll have issues due to the missing license

About point 2, it should still work (all doctors are still available online, just the dns is missing. Somewhere here the ip required is mentioned... you could then edit your hosts file and add an alias). In relation to use the already downloaded doctors, I never tried so I cannot help.

Debian... no idea about upgrading it, but there's a newer ubuntu available here in ext3 format (an alternative is not to repartition but to just mount a virtual ext3 filesystem)
    https://qole.org/files/webos/
    and someone mentioned that it was easy to install a current archlinux arm in a chroot (again usin a virtual ext3)

You can make apps in QT
    DianBao, Telegram Client for webOS , this app is qt based
    https://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pr...qt5-webos.html , this is the qt he used
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    About point 2, it should still work (all doctors are still available online, just the dns is missing. Somewhere here the ip required is mentioned... you could then edit your hosts file and add an alias). In relation to use the already downloaded doctors, I never tried so I cannot help.
    Tip: Edit Your Hosts File for Access to Old Palm Servers | pivotCE

Debian on a Pre? I don't think I've heard of that before. I assume command line only, no GUI.

Your phone will run webOS up to v2.2.4. Apps were commonly written in the proprietary mojo framework. Upon the sale to HP, Enyo was prioritised. An update installed Enyo 1 to the phones, so they will run these apps. The Touchpad will run Mojo apps (often in a phone sized box), but can also run Enyo 2 apps. The version of webOS on Touchpads was 3.0.5, so I'd guess that HP_webOS_SDK-Win-3.0.5-676-x64 is for Enyo. Enyo is open-source & is now at version 2.7 They are mainly targeting TV apps now. Further info: Enyo JavaScript Application Framework

If you are looking to the future, you may have seen the LuneOS release announcements on pivotCE. Apps are written in Enyo, but much of the UI is written in Qt 5. Enyo has announced another update which will be based on Reactjs - so a breaking update and one that will initially focus on TV. More on this: A future JavaScript framework for LuneOS – Demos wanted! | pivotCE

Someone has managed to port Qt 5 to the Pre for a Telegram app, but I'm not sure how generally usable it is. It maybe that it was selected parts for the app - someone else will have to explain. I think efforts are under way to complete this work, enabling Qt5 apps to run. This could mean that the LuneOS browser could be installed - a big win for legacy webOS.

So on legacy (and on a phone) you could use mojo or Enyo 1 to build an app. If you wanted to target phones, tablets and LuneOS, Enyo 1 is an option, but now out dated. There is future potential for Qt5 - especially if fully ported to legacy webOS. What new app framework will finally be chosen by webOS Ports remains to be seen. I have no idea if that could also be ported to legacy webOS.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/12/2017 at 12:22 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both very much for your replies, and thank you mazzinia for the Classic_Container, I will try it on my dodgy phone very soon. My fully working Palm Pre 2 should be here on monday :-D. Preemptive, here is a link to a youtube video of someone running Debian on their Pre 2, seems pretty quick, much faster than the videos I have seen of linux on the original Pre, , and thanks for the links on app development for the future. I am hoping to use the Palm Pre 2 as a portable device for programming practice, if Debian had been only a commandline that would have still been great, but this is with GUI. There are also lots of programming languages and enviroments for PalmOS, some of which may run well in the Classic emulator. I have managed to get the 1.4.5 SDK from an archive of the Developer Palm website, I think 1.4.5 is Mojo. There is also documentation for Mojo on the 2011 archieve, and Mojo and Enyo documentation on the 2015 archieve. So now I think I have all that's needed for the older style development, except for the Eclipse plugin which may no longer be available, but if anyone has it and could throw it my way that would be great. Now I will get on with reading those links. All the best.
    Preemptive likes this.
    If you want to use the last version of Enyo, it works fine on 2.2.4/3.0.5 legacy webOS. However perhaps the best argument for using it - that it had active support - may no longer be the case as the Enyo team is transitioning to a new framework that is unlikely to run on legacy. It is still nice however that the documentation is on live servers and that you don't need to pull it from archive.org snapshots. Here are some links:
    Enyo 2.7 webOS app template:
    https://github.com/bbito/onyx-webos-app
    Enyo 2.7 on legacy webosnation forum thread:
    Enyo 2.7 (aka 2.6) for Legacy and LuneOS
    Main Enyo site:
    Enyo JavaScript Application Framework
    Preemptive likes this.