Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By jimmiesr
  1.    #1  
    Hi webOS diehards!
    I keep 2 FrankenPre2s with Verizon chassis and Sprint modems running 2.2.4 - daily drivers for my wife and myself (plus a bunch of Touchpads). My daily driver is having Sprint connection issues for the last couple of weeks and I want to try updating the PRL (PRL: 60675) since it is different from the one on my wife's phone which doesn't seem to have the same issues (PRL: 60690).

    So far I haven't ever put one of our modems back into a Pre- to update the modem since I built my 1st FrankenPre in 2012(?).

    I assume the following and would love confirmation from someone who has done this - or knows enough about this stuff to make an educated comment:

    1. Shut down FrankenPre2 and remove modem
    2. Install modem into Pre- (does it need to be original donor?)
    3. Boot up Pre- and update PRL (anything else to do with modem in Pre-?)
    4. Shut down Pre- and remove modem
    5. Install modem into FrankenPre2 and enjoy!


    So I'm hoping it is this 'easy', and that I do not need to doctor either the Pre- or the FrankenPre2 to make this work correctly. Confirmation or correction would be greatly appreciated!
    -webOS Forever!
    Last edited by bbito; 12/29/2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Wanted to add tags: FrankenPre, PRL
  2. #2  
    Is the PRL even stored in the modem? I remember instructions on how to back up your PRL to copy over post meta doctor. Don't remember ever seeing anything about PRL going with the modem. I've swapped random Sprint modems into phones other than the one they came out of and had no trouble with them connecting to the network.
    bbito likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Is the PRL even stored in the modem?
    I don't know for sure, but that is my recollection... I thought the PRL update flashed the modem back when I did it in the Pre-.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I've swapped random Sprint modems into phones other than the one they came out of and had no trouble with them connecting to the network.
    That's good to hear! Sounds like my Dr. fears were thankfully unfounded.

    I'm not sure it is a PRL issue, but I'm hoping a Sprint update to the modem might get it working happily again... Next step after that would be the meta-doctor...

    -Thanks Grabber!



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. #4  
    I think you may be right based on this webOS Internals wiki page.. but it also shows a process for updating the PRL if you have a 1.4.5 device available - though it doesn't mention whether or not that device has to be active, which would make it impractical, especially for a Sprint Franken Pre.

    http://webos-internals.org/index.php...int_PRL_Update
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    1. Shut down FrankenPre2 and remove modem
    2. Install modem into Pre- (does it need to be original donor?)
    3. Boot up Pre- and update PRL (anything else to do with modem in Pre-?)
    4. Shut down Pre- and remove modem
    5. Install modem into FrankenPre2 and enjoy!
    So I finally got around to this and although I think my heart was in the right place, I think I got around to this a couple of years too late....
    Neither "Update Network Settings" or "Update PRL" would work - I assume because Sprint is no longer supporting OTA updates on Palm Pres. So this operation ended up actually rolling me back to PRL 60664 (the one included in the meta-sprint-pre-1.4.5.1 meta-doctor).
    Network-Settings-phoneprefs_2017-30-01_220624.pngPRL-phoneprefs_2017-30-01_220638.pngdeviceinfo_2017-30-01_222000-obs.png

    So for the curious, although it was fun to use those orange keys again, I don't recommend this operation!
  6. #6  
    Bummer
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    So I finally got around to this and although I think my heart was in the right place, I think I got around to this a couple of years too late....
    Neither "Update Network Settings" or "Update PRL" would work - I assume because Sprint is no longer supporting OTA updates on Palm Pres. So this operation ended up actually rolling me back to PRL 60664 (the one included in the meta-sprint-pre-1.4.5.1 meta-doctor).
    Network-Settings-phoneprefs_2017-30-01_220624.pngPRL-phoneprefs_2017-30-01_220638.pngdeviceinfo_2017-30-01_222000-obs.png

    So for the curious, although it was fun to use those orange keys again, I don't recommend this operation!
    Interesting. I have the same problem with a newly doctored Pre- and I don't even get data now. Guess I'd be OK with wifi, what a bummer because that also means that I can't get MMS either.
  8. #8  
    Wait, so a doctor can roll back firmware?? Or have I got that wrong?

    Can the settings be changed manually (or with a bit of patching?) Or can any updates be extracted, backed up, then built into a meta-doctor?
  9.    #9  
    Did you run the 1.4.5.1 meta-doctor? That gave me Sprint connectivity on the Pre-.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Wait, so a doctor can roll back firmware?? Or have I got that wrong?

    Can the settings be changed manually (or with a bit of patching?) Or can any updates be extracted, backed up, then built into a meta-doctor?
    My experience is that yes, running the meta-doctor on my Pre- rolled back my modem firmware. I ran the doctor because I got no Sprint connectivity when I moved my modem back into the donor Pre- and I wanted to see if I could get fresh PRL and Network settings from Sprint.
    I think one can set options in the meta-doctor script to skip flashing the modem, but I don't have it in front of me now.
    [EDIT] Here it is: DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE prevents the device from reflashing the modem software. This saves some time during the webOS Doctor process.
    https://github.com/webos-internals/m...ter/README#L68
    To your other questions about backing up firmware, etc., those are above my pay grade...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by bbito; 04/07/2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
  11. #11  
    Hmmm... so any future guide that suggests doctoring should probably get into meta-doctoring.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    My experience is that yes, running the meta-doctor on my Pre- rolled back my modem firmware. I ran the doctor because I got no Sprint connectivity when I moved my modem back into the donor Pre- and I wanted to see if I could get fresh PRL and Network settings from Sprint.
    I think one can set options in the meta-doctor script to skip flashing the modem, but I don't have it in front of me now.
    [EDIT] Here it is: DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE prevents the device from reflashing the modem software. This saves some time during the webOS Doctor process.
    https://github.com/webos-internals/m...ter/README#L68
    To your other questions about backing up firmware, etc., those are above my pay grade...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PRL update quite easy, you don't need to have any particular WebOS version or any modem, or any cooperation from Sprint. You don't need to do much for that, just tar any PRL file you download from the net (xda has tons of them) and give it to PmModemUpdater < prl.tar. Here is my PRL.

    deviceinfo_2017-09-04_121833.png
    Preemptive likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot sign in on Palm Pixi, Sprint.
    By ThePawe in forum Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01/05/2017, 06:00 PM
  2. A more Sprint-ified Franken Pre2
    By Grabber5.0 in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09/15/2016, 12:29 AM
  3. Build your own modem?
    By TJs11thPre in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09/06/2016, 11:21 PM
  4. LG WebOS TV Firmware update
    By Venkatesh Kasireddy in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09/04/2016, 04:13 AM
  5. Screen Share problem after update
    By Odeivo in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/23/2016, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions