Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Luigi Paternostro
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By jlamb0
  • 1 Post By UI Designer
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    I ask for help for a problem with the GPS, for months now not working on pre2 (pre2 own two phones) I tried everything but the gps on either does not start
    poehoes likes this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I have this problem too on my Pre3 and on my Pre2. Disabling Google as a location services provider used to help, but now it can never grab a GPS location fix no matter what.
    I thought GPS was completely dead on my devices for quite a while too, but after talking to someone else, I tried again after confirming that Google Location Services was disabled - this is no longer working. It took a while, but I did eventually get a fix and was able to track my position. I have checked for sure on a Sprint Pre and a ATT Pre3, possibly a Verizon Pre3 (getting old sucks..). I can't remember if I tested a Pre2 or not, but if the others work, it should too.
    Yes, my understanding is that GPS is a simple receiver of the satellite signals. There was advice to enable wifi to improve speed / accuracy of a fix and I guess this meant you could use a Google service of wifi IP location to help.

I know LuneOS has a fix or uses a different wifi location service. Maybe both - can't remember details.

I'm able to locate on the Pre3, but it can take time. I've tried enabling wifi, but performance varies and if the Google service is gone or changed API, I'm just being a superstitious with that.

I know there were issues with GPS on the Pre2 'going to sleep'. I used an app:
    GPS Fix | webOS Nation
    It works by making regular requests to the GPS. This can lead to battery drain, so should be shut of if you are not using location services.
    jccjmml7 likes this.
    I have personally had issues with amost all webOS devices and GPS.

For me, my Verizon Pixi Plus running 1.4.5 ran the best, with the above mentioned GPS Fix app. I have not tried that fix on a 2.0 or up device.

I am going to download GPS fix and test it on my Veer later, as I frequently have issues getting a fix, especially with location service turned off. I really never have had an issue with a gps lock when at home on wifi, only when out and about on data.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I thought GPS was completely dead on my devices for quite a while too, but after talking to someone else, I tried again after confirming that Google Location Services was disabled - this is no longer working. It took a while, but I did eventually get a fix and was able to track my position. I have checked for sure on a Sprint Pre and a ATT Pre3, possibly a Verizon Pre3 (getting old sucks..). I can't remember if I tested a Pre2 or not, but if the others work, it should too.
    So what exactly did you do to get a location fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    So what exactly did you do to get a location fix?
    Just went outside and opened a map app and requested a location. It took a while, but it eventually came back. Just remember to disable Google location services first.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Just went outside and opened a map app and requested a location. It took a while, but it eventually came back. Just remember to disable Google location services first.
    Hey would you look at that! I had to wait a few minutes, but it actually worked. Really had to wait awhile, though.
    Grabber5.0 and Preemptive like this.
    I have a camera with GPS built-in. Without the assistance of cell phone towers & WiFi, getting a GPS location can take at least 3-5 minutes or even longer if anything is blocking the full view to the sky.

I also have an older Garmin Nav and if I don't use it for a while, it takes a long time (5+ min) to get a GPS location too.
    jlamb0 likes this.
    I was looking at it a little bit. The old Google API stopped working, so the Google Location Services, which usually gets you a quick "fix", no longer works. :/
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Also:

On CDMA phones dial ##477# or ##GPS#,
    On GSM phones dial #*GPS#,

Then tap "Get Fix". I just tried each of these, on Sprint w Pre2 and TMo w Veer. (Variation in data negligible!)

Sometimes i have to toggle on/off the "Locate Me Using"... ="GPS" but once that is working, navigation works much better. I use only "GPS", not "Google Services".

IF NONE OF THIS WORKS, confirm your GPS antenna is connected. Below the battery (not underneath it) and to the left of the two raised contacts for the TStone-ready back cover, is a small metal door which covers the connection for the GPS (and the cdma if it's that model).

It's a tiny gold plated coax connector that presses and snaps on snugly. Must be sure not to crush the center wire, just like old cable TV coax. (I actually just popped mine back on today. I had to open mine up to clean under the keyboard pad with alcohol on a swab. Improved missing letters significantly!)
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/20/2016 at 03:57 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I just came across this:
    https://github.com/bakert/geocoder

It's in php - which I think is server side, but perhaps the (MIT license) code has some use to anyone willing to make a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    ...I had to open mine up to clean under the keyboard pad with alcohol on a swab. Improved missing letters significantly!)
    Really?! So was it the circuit board with the contacts that you cleaned then? I've wondered if that could help but hadn't tried it.
    Really?! So was it the circuit board with the contacts that you cleaned then? I've wondered if that could help but hadn't tried it.
    No. Unfortunately i can't get to that layer.

There's the keys layer, then a white layer with dimples. I cleaned in there with alcohol. But under the white layer is the electrical, and that's sealed to the metal plate which supports it. That metal is part of the base skeletal frame. There's no swapping it out.

At this point I'd have to move the motherboard to a spare frame and rebuild the whole phone because of the bad kb. Not happening. Particularly since I'm down to one good battery.

My life carrying a Pre2 is drawing to a close.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!