Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kristinoberhaus
  • 1 Post By kristinoberhaus
  1.    #1  
    I have a brand new Palm pre 2.
    I'm not a techie guy.
    I am aware server has been closed down and searched online for anyway to bring this phone to life...including installing android but have found nothing. Just some unreliable articles,
    Can someone suggest anyway to make the Palm pre 2 usable again. I have hear of LuneOS but not sure if I can use it with the palm pre 2 and if yes, how to?
    I really hope I will not have to throw the phone in the bin.
    Will anyone be kind enough to suggest (in the most simple possible way).
    Much appreciated
    What state is your phone in right now?

I have just gone through a couple of resets on my phone, and I have written myself my own PalmPre2 for dummies, so if I can help, I will be more than happy to and keep the "tech speak" out of it.
    oyster07 and TJs11thPre like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinoberhaus View Post
    What state is your phone in right now?

I have just gone through a couple of resets on my phone, and I have written myself my own PalmPre2 for dummies, so if I can help, I will be more than happy to and keep the "tech speak" out of it.
    Thanks loads.
    The state of the phone is "brand new", never used so I might not even be able to create an account.
    I will be very interested to read your PalmPre2 for dummies
    A "brand new" Pre2 will need to be activation bypassed by putting into devmode.

You also may need to upgrade to webOS 224 using the appropriate Doctor file to update, which you do by running an app on your PC and connecting your phone.

Then you need to install Preware, also by connecting to PC then using app called WOSQI. You must have the latest versions of this app and java for it to work.

Once you have Preware you can install Internals Pro and then start installing patches and apps necessary to connect the older device to newer internet protocols.

Fortunately all of this is described here, so get busy reading the necessary posts. Most of what you want to read is described in PivotCE articles. So use Google to search that keyword plus the topics i mentioned above.

Any posts here by users Preemptive or Alan Morford will have links in their signatures to the critical threads, like 2016 survival guide, etc.

Pre 2 is a good phone. I use mine everyday.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Basically, bypass activation (simple on a pre2):
    https://pivotce.com/2015/06/24/tip-h...ss-activation/

If you are not running webOS 2.2.4, use a doctor to upgrade. Note the HOSTS file fix to download this & other useful files from HP (you'll need to bypass again on 1st boot)

Set it up:
    https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/

...and the links below, especially the service pack.

It's not currently possible to run LuneOS on this device & unlikely that it ever will be. The same pretty much goes for Android - if you are not a techie guy.
    https://pivotce.com/2014/02/17/android-chroot/ (this is Pre3 only)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/05/2016 at 12:40 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you everyone. I will try to read carefully what you suggested.
    What will be the final result?
    Will I be able to use the phone normally? app, internet etc or will have some limitations?

kristinoberhaus I sent a reply to your message but for some reasons is not appearing here and not usre if it's visible to you?
    I'd be interested in your not techie PalmPre2 for dummies
    If the phone has been reset
    Language = English
    County = United States
    Confirm English
    Accept Terms and Conditions
    On the HP WebOS Account
    Use the emergency call button
    Back out 911
    Enter #*3386633#
    Turn Developer Mode On
    Select Restart Device
    Do not enter a password and click submit
    It will then shut down and start back up

I love the other guys... but I wrote it out dumbed down for me.... hope this helps you
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyster07 View Post
    Thank you everyone. I will try to read carefully what you suggested.
    What will be the final result?
    Will I be able to use the phone normally? app, internet etc or will have some limitations?

kristinoberhaus I sent a reply to your message but for some reasons is not appearing here and not usre if it's visible to you?
    I'd be interested in your not techie PalmPre2 for dummies
    I consider it normal usage. But i don't tweet, facebook, pokemon go, snap, youtube, or instagram, so what you consider normal may not be the same.

I have an Android tab for web surfing. My phone is a smart communication device... That's getting Alzheimer's.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Phone text and email work good and there is an app for tethering which is very good.

Big time apps are not available, spotify, instagram etc, haven't tried facebook lately but I assume the mobile version still works.

The web browser works for simple sites, mobile Wikipedia's for example. Most heavy sites like news sites are a problem because there is a lot of JavaScript and the sites will keep loading over and over. The solution is to disable JavaScript. Of course doing this will cause JavaScript functions not to work. YouTube's won't load at all without JavaScript.

So it means you can surf pretty good but if you need to interact with some sites its best to use some other device. Free tether is good for that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums