1.    #1  
    eek.... so I got that pesky application database full restart message...
    Now, of course, for a year now, there is no longing into an account or creating one... so I got sent to network settings... which were declared invalid... call ATT and they are not sure what those settings should be ...
    Does anyone have an ATT phone and know what those settings are???
    Big questions are the name (first field for internet APM and MMS APM) and whether or not they require passwords.
    The "list" from ATT doesn't contain that information.
    Funny thing, even though the phone is basically useless at the moment, the 3G is showing and if I go to emergency call, I can back out 911 and call about anyone.

Thanks!!!
  2.    #2  
    If I could actually click on the Use these settings anyway and get past this screen.... maybe things would be ok... any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinoberhaus View Post
    eek.... so I got that pesky application database full restart message...

Now, of course, for a year now, there is no logging into an account or creating one...

so I got sent to network settings...
    which were declared invalid...
    call ATT and they are not sure what those settings should be ...

Does anyone have an ATT phone and know what those settings are???
    Big questions are the name (first field for internet APM and MMS APM) and whether or not they require passwords.
    The "list" from ATT doesn't contain that information.

Funny thing, even though the phone is basically useless at the moment, the 3G is showing and if I go to emergency call, I can back out 911 and call about anyone.

Thanks!!!
    I am not fully understanding your post. After you got that "application database is full" warning message, what did you do? Did you:

A. Restart your device and then everything got erased?

B. Ignore the warning message and then was taken to "network settings" at some point?

C. Adjust your device's partition sizes to fix that "application database is full" warning message?

Regarding those network settings you asked about, I'm on ATT too and they are only available when Phone Preferences > Network > Manual Settings is set to ON. Mine is set to OFF (thus set automatically) and works well. Did you set these manually in the past or only being asked to set them manually now after that database full message?

If you did B or C above and are now getting "db: quota exceeded" messages, then this could lead to other things not working on your phone, like:
    - cellular data stops working (but WiFi is still OK),
    - can't send or receive text messages and email,
    - can't view new Camera pics in Photos app,
    - and maybe even more, like the issues you are running in to.

See the thread titled:
    "The application database is almost full"?
    or

Using Internalz, go to /var/db/main/ and take a look at how large the following 2 files are:
    - objects.db
    - indexes.db
    What's "Size" values are you seeing?

Once you fix the "application database is full" warning message and "db: quota exceeded", then hopefully your phone will start to work like normal again on its own, just like it did on my Pre3.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 06/07/2016 at 12:14 PM.
  4.    #4  
    The course of events went something like this...

I got a warning message that the application database was almost full... I immediately plugged the phone in a copied everything on the USB drive to my computer... and made a backup of my contacts.. which I had programmed in the phone where you type something in the dialpad... and then it says to plug into the USB.... but I couldn't find the file I was looking for (I know I have seen it in the past, so I am hoping the worst case is that it saved a file a few days ago when I saw that in my contacts select and selected it, but wasn't near a computer to copy.

I deleted about 5 applications that I no longer needed, deleted the call log... googled the error message and saw the part about the increasing the partition, went to get the phone and it now said application database full.... a warning message the restarted would cause of a loss of data, but no other option other than to select the restart because the message wouldn't go away....

So I did that, got the initial setup screens asking for language, got to the screen about setting a profile... I bought this used and never setup my own profile (it always said Dr Skipped First Use on the HP account), tried to set up a new profile, even though I knew the website has been down since last year...

Then I got an option to setup manually and it took me to the network settings screen... but stuck there ever since. I called ATT to work through the APN settings, but it always says invalid settings, when I click Setup Anyway, it just takes me back to that screen.

There is emergency contact that gets me to the dial pad, and I can back out the 911 from there and make calls, but no calls can come in. Although, it does chirp when someone leaves a voice mail and the voice mail speed dial still works.

I have tried getting into developer mode from the keypad ##3386633# and *#3386633# but it just comes back and says network error. ATT thinks because it was unlocked and the phone is trying to contact ATT. I tried recovery mode where you take out the battery and hold down the volume key while it is plugged in and put the battery back, it just takes me back the screen to put my email in and when I fail that I am back to the network settings screen hell.

I tried the hard reboot with the power key, option key and symbol key and that only gets me a turn off and cancel button, for which the only button that works is the cancel button.

If I pull the sim, all I get are the screens that tell you how to put the sim back in.

I always tell people I love my palm pre, but like most things in life, I didn't realize how much until I lost it.

It hasn't even been 48 hours yet. I am looking at buying another one that was setup for ATT if I can't figure this out.
  5.    #5  
    oops... I hit the wrong reply button and replied to my post instead of yours.... my bad in case you are getting emails to notify you of a response (because if you can help at all, I would sooooo appreciate it!!)
    If I could actually click on the Use these settings anyway and get past this screen.... maybe things would be ok... any suggestions?
    Did you ever set these network settings manually in the past to get your Pre2 working or only being asked to set them manually now after that database full message?

I think your issues are most likely related to your "application database is full" warning message, unless you already addressed that.

My Pre3 stopped working well until I followed the steps in my post #298:

More details are listed in my earlier post, which is not visible for some reason when using the Forums webOS app:
    Last edited by UI Designer; 06/10/2016 at 04:29 AM.
  7.    #7  
    My only options on the phone at this moment is the signin screen - which I have to fail out of - the network settings screen and the emergency call dialpad.

No incoming calls, can't access dev mode in any way I try... I don't think I mentioned in my earlier reply, I also tried holding down the power button and turning the ringer on and off 3 or 6 times and if I plug into the computer, it doesn't give me the just charge or usb option... the computer doesn't recognize it as storage either.

I don't get the screen where I could type in the leftrightupdownwhateveritisicantremember2009 to get to that other mode Kon something....

I thought getting the APN settings right might move me forward from the network settings screen... but no luck...

8.    #8  
    sorry for the delays in the posts, the moderator must be behind today and I haven't done enough to earn immediate posting rights
    The course of events went something like this...

I got a warning message that the application database was almost full...

it now said application database full.... a warning message the restarted would cause of a loss of data, but no other option other than to select the restart because the message wouldn't go away....

So I did that, got the initial setup screens asking for language, got to the screen about setting a profile...

Then I got an option to setup manually and it took me to the network settings screen... but stuck there ever since. I called ATT to work through the APN settings, but it always says invalid settings, when I click Setup Anyway, it just takes me back to that screen.

There is emergency contact that gets me to the dial pad, and I can back out the 911 from there and make calls, but no calls can come in. Although, it does chirp when someone leaves a voice mail and the voice mail speed dial still works.

I have tried getting into developer mode from the keypad ##3386633# and *#3386633# but it just comes back and says network error.

OK, I see, your Pre2 got reset, erased, and deactivated (note: your USB drive may not have been erased, so your contacts backup may still be there).

The correct code to dial on AT&T (GSM) phones to bring up the Developer Mode screen and bypass the activation screen is:

#*3386633#

(##3386633# is for Verizon (CDMA) phones)

Note: If Developer Mode is already turned ON after dialing that code, then try turning Dev Mode OFF, let the device restart, and then enter that code again to turn Dev Mode back ON again. You'll know you've done it right when you see the Home screen with the Launch Bar at the bottom.

Here is a guide to help you with the rest of the steps to get your Pre2 working again:

Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS:
    https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/

I ran into some issues following that guide that I documented along with workarounds in post #20 at:
    pivotCE: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1
    Please make sure you read this since some of the steps in that guide are out of date. Also make sure to use the Preware app to download the latest apps and patches instead of using the links in that guide.

Grabber5.0 ran into an issue trying to toggle Developer Mode OFF that he documented in post #22 along with a workaround:
    pivotCE: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1

I have a Pre3, not a Pre2, so hopefully someone else can help you more if you run into any problems following that guide that are specific to a Pre2.

It hasn't even been 48 hours yet. I am looking at buying another one that was setup for ATT if I can't figure this out.
    Don't give up on your current Pre2 yet -- I think you are almost there. The links above should help. It can be confusing at times with so much information out there spread out all over the place along with some of it being out of date, but it will get better once you have some success with the things you are trying and you gain more experience.

Also, once you get your Pre2 working again, it is important to follow the links in my earlier posts above, especially post #6, if you want to avoid that terrible database full device reset problem in the future.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 06/10/2016 at 12:58 PM.
    ...I don't get the screen where I could type in the leftrightupdownwhateveritisicantremember2009 to get to that other mode Kon something....
    Don't worry about that long code anymore (it was used in the past AFTER your phone was activated to access the Developer Mode screen).

Since your phone got deactivated, you'll have to turn ON Developer Mode a different way and this will also bypass the activation screen so you can get to the Home screen with the Launch Bar at the bottom.

See my previous reply above for more details.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 06/10/2016 at 05:58 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    OK, I see, your Pre2 got reset, erased, and deactivated (note: your USB drive may not have been erased, so your contacts backup may still be there).

The correct code to dial on AT&T (GSM) phones to bring up the Developer Mode screen and bypass the activation screen is:

#*3386633#

(##3386633# is for Verizon (CDMA) phones)

Note: If Developer Mode is already turned ON after dialing that code, then try turning Dev Mode OFF, let the device restart, and then enter that code again to turn Dev Mode back ON again. You'll know you've done it right when you see the Home screen with the Launch Bar at the bottom.

Here is a guide to help you with the rest of the steps to get your Pre2 working again:

Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS:
    https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/

I ran into some issues following that guide that I documented along with workarounds in post #20 at:
    pivotCE: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 - webOS Nation Forums
    Please make sure you read this since some of the steps in that guide are out of date. Also make sure to use the Preware app to download the latest apps and patches instead of using the links in that guide.

Grabber5.0 ran into an issue trying to toggle Developer Mode OFF that he documented in post #22 along with a workaround:
    pivotCE: Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 - Page 2 - webOS Nation Forums

I have a Pre3, not a Pre2, so hopefully someone else can help you more if you run into any problems following that guide that are specific to a Pre2.

Don't give up on your current Pre2 yet -- I think you are almost there. The links above should help. It can be confusing at times with so much information out there spread out all over the place along with some of it being out of date, but it will get better once you have some success with the things you are trying and you gain more experience.

Also, once you get your Pre2 working again, it is important to follow the links in my earlier posts above, especially post #6, if you want to avoid that terrible database full device reset problem in the future.
    Well... this is not my week for technology, I tried to reply but kept getting a message that the page wasn't available.

Anyhow, I am back in - did lose my contacts and that CelleBrite option (or whatever it is) is just a heart breaker. Had a back up file from 2 hours before the reset and there was ONE contact in it - ONE and that one contact also happened to be on the SIM card....it was worse than getting stood up for the prom.

I am mostly back, but I can't get anything installed. I connect to WebOS Quick install, it finds the phone, I pick any of the .ipk files I have and it transfers the file and then spins on install for hours - literally left it overnight and went to bed and it was still spinning.

I hope this doesn't mean that I HAVE to do webOS doctor because that looks just scary as all get out and I know that I will need to get out a paper and pencil and write down my contacts so that I can reenter them afterwards, and that will just suck.

Anyhow, better than where I was.... not where I want to be
    Well... this is not my week for technology, I tried to reply but kept getting a message that the page wasn't available.

Anyhow, I am back in - did lose my contacts and that CelleBrite option (or whatever it is) is just a heart breaker. Had a back up file from 2 hours before the reset and there was ONE contact in it - ONE and that one contact also happened to be on the SIM card....it was worse than getting stood up for the prom.

I am mostly back, but I can't get anything installed. I connect to WebOS Quick install, it finds the phone, I pick any of the .ipk files I have and it transfers the file and then spins on install for hours - literally left it overnight and went to bed and it was still spinning.

I hope this doesn't mean that I HAVE to do webOS doctor because that looks just scary as all get out and I know that I will need to get out a paper and pencil and write down my contacts so that I can reenter them afterwards, and that will just suck.

Anyhow, better than where I was.... not where I want to be
    I'm not clear if you successfully bypassed activation, but if you are 'in', then there are back up tips on the link below.

That said, it reads as if you reset and wiped the phone, so maybe the data is gone. But then, you are talking about writing them down. Can you see them on the phone?

There is a patch called enhanced contacts export, but that only increases the number of fields exported - I don't think it changes how many contacts are exported.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'm not clear if you successfully bypassed activation, but if you are 'in', then there are back up tips on the link below.

That said, it reads as if you reset and wiped the phone, so maybe the data is gone. But then, you are talking about writing them down. Can you see them on the phone?

There is a patch called enhanced contacts export, but that only increases the number of fields exported - I don't think it changes how many contacts are exported.
    I did sucessfully bypass... and everything is on the USB drive.

The contact now are people who have called and I have saved their number since I relied on that stupid Celle Brite option before it and let me down big time.. WARNING to anyone wanting to use this... iT WAS AN EPIC FAIL!!!!!. I currently have about 15 contacts of what I would guess was 200 before, between work, volunteer organizations and personal life.

I would love to install anything but still not having any luck. I was worried WebOS Quick Install wouldn't find the phone, that was the problem I had before... I kept all the .ipk files I installed before, but none will install... transfer, yet, install, just spins and spins the night away.
    200 is not actually that big a number. You may have email addresses stored with your email service (You may be able to sync these contacts). You can probably search your inbox by sender. Some may have signatures containing phone numbers, with others you could either request the data or ask them to call you. Business contacts may be on linkedin if you use that. Also your current 15 contacts are likely to know some of your other contacts. In your position, I would be 'writing down' the contact details - ideally into something that can export the data as a vCard.

I assume the reset means you have lost your data, other than what is on the USB drive. In that case, doctoring will give you a fresh start - as long as it works.

If WOSQI is 'seeing' your device, I'd guess the drivers are installed. If the phone seems to have issues, I'd be inclined to copy off the USB files (is this possible?) just for safety, then doctor it, but I'd be slightly concerned that whatever is stopping successful installation may similarly affect the doctoring process.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    200 is not actually that big a number. You may have email addresses stored with your email service (You may be able to sync these contacts). You can probably search your inbox by sender. Some may have signatures containing phone numbers, with others you could either request the data or ask them to call you. Business contacts may be on linkedin if you use that. Also your current 15 contacts are likely to know some of your other contacts. In your position, I would be 'writing down' the contact details - ideally into something that can export the data as a vCard.

I assume the reset means you have lost your data, other than what is on the USB drive. In that case, doctoring will give you a fresh start - as long as it works.

If WOSQI is 'seeing' your device, I'd guess the drivers are installed. If the phone seems to have issues, I'd be inclined to copy off the USB files (is this possible?) just for safety, then doctor it, but I'd be slightly concerned that whatever is stopping successful installation may similarly affect the doctoring process.
    It's been a while... but just to update... I did get the database full error again, started another post because the steps to increase database size are not working.

The problem with the WebOSQuickInstall was actually quite simple... it had been a long time since I used it and when I plugged in the phone I chose usb and not just charge.. since it still recognizes the phone, but won't install, that stupid little mistake is tough to track down for those who don't use this every day. (the only thing that is keeping me from feeling like a total ***** on that one is that I figured it out on my own and no one on the forum called me on being an *****)

My contacts are not backed up to my email.... the issue is not finding the data in a bizzillion places, I can do that, it is just a pain in the **** that there is no other way to do this... and worse... the CelleBrite BS -- made a back up of ONE - ONE stinking lousy contact -- so I had a backup file dated two hours before I lost the data with ONE @#$@%^%^ @#$@#$@ 3#$%#$%# %#$%#$%$ contact in it!!!!! I trusted that @#$@#$%^&%^& @%#%#$%$% tip to backup my contactsand felt a wave of relief when I found the file and then opened it to ONE @#@$%#$%#$ contact. If it allowed comments on the page where that is posted, I would warn people that is doesn't really work. I would have been less angey if it hadn't created a backup at all. ##66623# is nothing but bull feces -- that is what makes me angry.

Anyhow,,, had another reset and just trying to increase the size but I can't because I cant umount media/internal because it is busy....

ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Still wouldn't trade this for one of those huge smartphones.