Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Today I am here for advice and suggestions. I have been soldiering on with a cracked screen franken pre for while now. Since yesterday the data side of the phone is giving trouble, with the ev icon thing missing from the topbar and the battery draining on rapid.

    The phone still works, if I can keep it charged to make a call. But people asking me if I am on speaker and they say it sounds muffled or far away. I have an android phone for browsing and such, but the pre2 is till my main phone, nobody knows the number to the other phone including myself.

    So what could be the problem, 3G works fine on the other phone. Should I call sprint?

    PS. I almost bought a unlocked pre2 on ebay from some outfit in canada, but they didn't answer my question if it would work on US carriers. And the shipping was kinda steep
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Today I am here for advice and suggestions. I have been soldiering on with a cracked screen franken pre for while now. Since yesterday the data side of the phone is giving trouble, with the ev icon thing missing from the topbar and the battery draining on rapid.

    The phone still works, if I can keep it charged to make a call. But people asking me if I am on speaker and they say it sounds muffled or far away. I have an android phone for browsing and such, but the pre2 is till my main phone, nobody knows the number to the other phone including myself.

    So what could be the problem, 3G works fine on the other phone. Should I call sprint?

    PS. I almost bought a unlocked pre2 on ebay from some outfit in canada, but they didn't answer my question if it would work on US carriers. And the shipping was kinda steep
    I have only used verizon Pre2s for my frankenPre2s so I can leave the antenna in there. If I were in your shoes, I'd pray that it isn't my sprint modem acting up, backup everything and move my sprint modem into a BNIB or known good verizon Pre2 to start from scratch. It seems there are a few on eBay.
  3. #3  
    [post(s) moved to it's own thread]
  4. #4  
    Where's the origin phone?

    If you can, get a Pre1 and confirm your Sprint modem is still functioning well. Shouldn't be hard to find one cheap if you don't have its original host, or pay a little more for a good condition model so you can use some parts, like the screen and keyboard.

    Once you know your modem is good, either a VZN or GSM Pre2 will work for the Franken surgery. But you will want the CDMA sub frame for the antenna.

    You could put your current Pre2 motherboard into the donor Pre. It's more work but doable. You'd downgrade only the camera because you'd need that cdma subframe.

    As far as your comm issue, I'd sooner expect the antenna is suffering contact corrosion, before an internal board failure. That thing is sealed up pretty good.

    But - If your comm board IS bad, you could try to get a Sprint tech into adding the replacement board (from another Pre) to your account and activate THAT Pre. THEN do the surgery to combine your good MB with the newly activated com board, and your best condition keyboard, screen, and sub frame.

    I've tricked them before, getting them to update my account with the numbers from a replacement phone, so i didn't have to deal with them trying to charge me for a phone change. It requires a very helpful tech, not the first response CS rep.

    I wish i had spare parts to send you but i used up my supply!
    Good luck!

    P.s. before all this, try a complete reset and doctoring. If it miracle-cures everything, it would be a lot easier to restore your software than disassembling hardware.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 04/21/2016 at 04:53 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all. Tring to decide what to do and really don't have much time. I did call sprint tho, they tried to get me to refresh nework but there is no such option on my phone in the phone app.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Thanks all. Tring to decide what to do and really don't have much time. I did call sprint tho, they tried to get me to refresh nework but there is no such option on my phone in the phone app.
    Be careful. Don't let sprint just walk you through their process. If they reset your modem with the MSL, it will screw with the franken conversion and you'll have to put it back in your original Pre again to reprovision. They got me once.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  7. metro72's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #7  
    Did you try digging out the hole where the mic is for debris. I had another phone with a similar problem, my wife always said she could never hear me. I used a fine point needle and dug into the mic hole, there was some crud in there. Now she hears me fine.
    This of course, will not fix the data problem, but hopefully could be a simple fix to people hearing you on the other end.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
    Did you try digging out the hole where the mic is for debris. I had another phone with a similar problem, my wife always said she could never hear me. I used a fine point needle and dug into the mic hole, there was some crud in there. Now she hears me fine.
    This of course, will not fix the data problem, but hopefully could be a simple fix to people hearing you on the other end.
    I a going to try to doctor the phone. Thanks.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    ...
    PS. I almost bought a unlocked pre2 on ebay from some outfit in canada, but they didn't answer my question if it would work on US carriers. And the shipping was kinda steep
    Hey @laingman, there is a NIB VZW on the forums:
    Verizon Palm Pre 2 (unopened)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Hey @laingman, there is a NIB VZW on the forums:
    Verizon Palm Pre 2 (unopened)
    Thanks. I have a strong preference for unlocked webos phones tho, whether pre2 or pre3. Will an unlocked 2 or 3 work in England?

    By the way it seems we have now reached a point where webos phones are really hard to find.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Thanks. I have a strong preference for unlocked webos phones tho, whether pre2 or pre3. Will an unlocked 2 or 3 work in England?
    Yes.

    Edited for the following post: Europe is all GSM, so my assumption is that your were taking about a GSM phone.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/04/2016 at 08:47 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Thanks. I have a strong preference for unlocked webos phones tho, whether pre2 or pre3. Will an unlocked 2 or 3 work in England?

    By the way it seems we have now reached a point where webos phones are really hard to find.
    Now I'm really confused since the thread is about "frankenpre" and you mention Sprint. Weren't you writing about sticking your Sprint CDMA Pre- comm board into a Pre2? If so, that phone will not work in England. As far as I know you won't find any CDMA networks over there.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Now I'm really confused since the thread is about "frankenpre" and you mention Sprint. Weren't you writing about sticking your Sprint CDMA Pre- comm board into a Pre2? If so, that phone will not work in England. As far as I know you won't find any CDMA networks over there.
    Yeah, I am a sprint customer but I have always used unlocked phones to do the frankenpre, mostly because I can't stand the verizon logo on the mirror.

    Right now I think I have to get an unlocked phone because it can go both ways (sprint or att) and also I have to take a trip to visit my aunt in London and I want to use a webos phone because that's how I am most comfortable. I do have other android phones but they just don't do it for me
  14. #14  
    The unlocked models are "world ready" so they should work with most GSM networks, but probably not all of them.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, I am a sprint customer but I have always used unlocked phones to do the frankenpre, mostly because I can't stand the verizon logo on the mirror.

    Right now I think I have to get an unlocked phone because it can go both ways (sprint or att) and also I have to take a trip to visit my aunt in London and I want to use a webos phone because that's how I am most comfortable. I do have other android phones but they just don't do it for me
    Okay, since you are going to need to swap comm boards and re-Doctor the phone to go from Sprint to GSM and vice-versa, you may want to grab an EU Pre2 so that all that work translates into a fully functional GSM phone while overseas. There is an unlocked Pre2 on eBay from UK right now for ~$30 (plus shipping) if you search for "HP Palm Pre 2 16GB Unlocked mobile phone". There is an old post about the differences between the NA and EU GSM bands here: WTB: EU / UK Pre 2 in or ship to U.S.
  16. #16  
    Just pick up a pre3! You have to switch phones while in London anyway so might as well use the better pre3. Oh and say hi to Preemptive while you're over there.

    Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  17. #17  
    Just use the donor phone that you did your frankenpre conversion.

    That's what I did with mine when travelling to Europe until I got a veer off CL;-)

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18.    #18  
    Thanks all. I am leaning towards a Pre 3, if I can find one to buy. If not anything unlocked, perhaps a veer
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Thanks all. I am leaning towards a Pre 3, if I can find one to buy. If not anything unlocked, perhaps a veer
    I have plenty of veers available right now. DM me if you are interested.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I have plenty of veers available right now. DM me if you are interested.
    OK. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GPS Question on VZW FrankenPre 2
    By upsidedown in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04/23/2012, 09:25 PM
  2. Question about Selling a frankenpre
    By jimijames in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12/07/2011, 09:04 AM
  3. FrankenPre 2 question mark battery :<
    By DJ Nativus in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10/26/2011, 08:35 PM
  4. FrankenPre Question (I may want to deactivate)
    By erasef301 in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10/23/2011, 12:10 AM
  5. Frankenpre Question
    By DJeremyC in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10/18/2011, 02:43 PM

Posting Permissions