Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By briest
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hi guys
    I was thinking of buying a refurbished pre2 to use as my secondary phone
    Just have some questions I need to know
    Does the Evernote app still work?!and can you suggest me some other good note taking apps
    Is there an xmpp/Jabber client?!
    Any up to date Internet browser?!
    Any hope of telegram?! (since it's available for luneos)
    Any working Instagram client?!
    Any kind of configurations I can make to boost my experience?!
    And what apps do you suggest to me to install(preferably open source)
    Please provide anything I should know
    Thanks in advance
    Lots of questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4m4x View Post
    Does the Evernote app still work?!and can you suggest me some other good note taking apps
    Not sure about evernote. I use classic note - it has minor issues, but you can export the notes easily.
    Any up to date Internet browser?!
    The browser's OK, but old and complex sites can cause it to reload a lot - which is annoying. It might be possible to put a modern one on (like the LuneOS one), but that would need QT5 to be installed. Someone is looking into that, but it's a lot of work - might happen, might not.
    Any hope of telegram?! (since it's available for luneos)
    No. There is too much missing in legacy webOS. Unless the QT5 thing above... but I don't know if that's relevant. It might be something to do with the implementation of sockets...
    Any working Instagram client?!
    There was one called Instagrio I think. I don't know if it's still available or if it still works. Instagram may well have changed or closed it's API...
    Any kind of configurations I can make to boost my experience?!
    Loads - including custom kernels. Tweaks and patches galore - in fact you need them to keep things working these days.

You can still get a good (if relatively basic now) experience with a Pre2. There is even the occasional new app produced, but you will need to do some research and put some effort into the set up.
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Your other / additional option is to get an old N4 and put LuneOS on it. It's still early days, but this will only improve.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/13/2016 at 06:37 AM.
    4m4x likes this.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    And anyone who knows if xmpp messaging works?! Is there a client or something?!
    There's a PivotCE article on coming back to webOS which is a guide to getting back onboard.

There's instagrio, but it's pretty minimal
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    As for XMPP messaging: look for "messaging plugins" threads. The trick is there are at least three versions: for 1.x, for 2.1 and for 2.2/3. I never managed to configure XMPP on 2.2.4 (and it was one of reasons I went back to 2.1), but I saw few success stories, so maybe it's problem with my server.

Works for me on 2.1, but tends to forget about reconnecting.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    And anyone who knows if xmpp messaging works?! Is there a client or something?!
    agile messenger says it supported jabber. You could try that. It would probably be available here:

https://app.box.com/s/uon0fu5bfamn6g49gdsw87kmkykrqv0q

You'll have to search for it in there as there is no order of those files.
    As for XMPP messaging: look for "messaging plugins" threads. The trick is there are at least three versions: for 1.x, for 2.1 and for 2.2/3. I never managed to configure XMPP on 2.2.4 (and it was one of reasons I went back to 2.1), but I saw few success stories, so maybe it's problem with my server.

Works for me on 2.1, but tends to forget about reconnecting.
    Messaging plugins will give you xmpp support on webOS devices. You can find them here
    https://github.com/filmor/webos-messaging/Downloads
    I tried one by one till i found one working with my ejabberd server.
    On 2.2.4 Veer and Pre3 i have luck with 0.9.2_gw_yh_armv7.ipk. On TouchPad 0.9.4_armv7.ipk works for me.
    The certificate of the xmpp server is another problem. Self signed certificates have to be imported, and the SSL settings of the Server should match with the possibilities of webos.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
    Evernote works.
    I second the Classic Note recommendation.
    If you're looking for basic notes app with cloud sync, Noted (beta) still works with a simplenote account.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I simply use e-mail as notes; just write an mail without recipient, do not send it and swipe card away. Mail gets saved to Drafts folder, can be later read, edited and so on.
    Pros:
    - "notes" synced across all devices that have e-mail client with IMAP
    - all the fun stuff like text formatting, attachments, priorities
    - no "they changed API again!" problem
    - seamless Just Type integration
    - easy to share (but... look below)
    Cons:
    - harder to maintain structure (I have several folders under Drafts, but i.e. webOS mail client does not allow to move drafts between folders, or I didn't found a way)
    - once shared, they migrate to Sent folder
    - for some reason, my Pre seems to show some of the drafts twice; the effect does not propagate to other devices using the same account.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Preemptive and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by briest View Post
    for some reason, my Pre seems to show some of the drafts twice; the effect does not propagate to other devices using the same account.
    I have two folders in my email program: 'Draft' & 'Drafts'. I think different programs & / or the mail service have a slight discrepancy in naming this folder and both have been duplicated across devices.

I see the drawbacks you mention about using email for notes, but that's a nice idea. Handy when there's no other useful option at least.

Tapnote apparently has Dropbox support. I see there's a (unoptimised?) version of this app on LuneOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sethron View Post
    Evernote works.
    I second the Classic Note recommendation.
    Evernote is not working for me. It will work for a few days then fails syncing with the server. Removing and re-installing gets it working again...until a few days later.

Classicnote is my fall back, as is the task app.