Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By somline
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  1.    #1  
    EDIT TO UPDATE: fyi these 3 batteries all recalibrated to ~83%. Explained in post 10.

I took a chance buying 2 supposedly "new" batteries on eBay from seller 101dealz. I don't recommend them to anyone. Here's why:

One battery is performing as typical, which is great. I'm glad to have a battery which reported >1100mAh in the Dr. Battery app.

But the other, was DOA. After charging, it appears to be holding a charge, but the phone has exhibited what i can only call quirkiness. But finally, this morning i found the phone powered off while sitting on its Touchstone. That should never be. The battery must not be recognizing the TS correctly.

I had already requested a replacement based on the DOA, and received it promptly. When i did, i put it in an external charger just to check if it was charged. The green light stayed on, suggesting it was full. So this morning when i put it in the phone, i expected it to power up. It did not. Then i put the phone on TS. It did not "wake" the phone as it should. Then i plugged USB directly, and the phone woke to display symbol <10% charged. Clearly this third battery is defective as well if it is less than 10% but doesn't activate an external charger.

So I'm assuming the cells in these batteries are good, but the smart circuitry in them is bad, or not OEM and therefore garbage.

I've given them a chance to respond before posting negative feedback on the sale. But I'm disappointed i got only one correctly functioning battery.

Comments/ suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 10/20/2015 at 02:56 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    What if you run the batter to when the phone shuts off, then while plugged into USB charge it all the way up, then repeat this once more? I'm not an expert on batteries, but I believe this usually leads to partial calibration of the circuits that regulate charging. Somline might be able to speak more to it. He is the guy that wrote Dr. Battery.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    And surely with 'smart circuitry', they are digital clones of each other - thus if one is good, the others also (in theory!) are?

Although, I do have an ebay larger-capacity batt for my HP Mini (Netbook) and it sometimes it goes insane & loses all rational communication with the PC Power App!
    I usually discharge it fully and begin a new 'cycle' afresh.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I bought a few from another seller (focalshopping) .. and well, I've only used one so far, but so far so good.

Regrettably he's out of stock though.

One thing I tried to make sure when I looked for new batteries, was to look at the built, so to get an idea to the details which might show some amount of quality.

Aside the sticker (which does look fairly well done) the actual battery is 100% identical to the original, something that other third party batteries I had that ended up swelling up after a few months/1 year.

I've had it for a good month or more.. and it's still at 100% health (1218 mAh)

There's a "name brand" on them: Cameron Simo

If that helps.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  5.    #5  
    I can try to recalibrate with the Dr Battery app, in an attempt to salvage these.

But i don't know if i can trust them, because i put the phone on TS at night, it had a full charge, and the next morning the phone was on the TS but powered off. THAT NEVER HAPPENS EVER. Something is wrong to do that.

A phone must be powered off manually while it is on the TS to create this condition usually.

I think I'd rather buy the mugen that Preemptive just told me about. I thought they only made for Pre3.
    I have found a couple of my webOS devices powered off unexpectedly before. Doesn't happen often, but it always freaks me out a little. (Can you actually freak out just a little? Or is that just mild panic?)
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  7.    #7  
    My phones have been remarkably reliable on TS as my alarm clock. I can't recall an instance prior to this one where the device was put on the stone awake and the next day it was asleep.

I guess I'll recalibrate these and retest. But I'm very untrusting since they both arrived at 0%.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I can try to recalibrate with the Dr Battery app, in an attempt to salvage these.

But i don't know if i can trust them, because i put the phone on TS at night, it had a full charge, and the next morning the phone was on the TS but powered off. THAT NEVER HAPPENS EVER. Something is wrong to do that.

A phone must be powered off manually while it is on the TS to create this condition usually.

I think I'd rather buy the mugen that Preemptive just told me about. I thought they only made for Pre3.
    My post was actually about a Pre3 battery.. sorrya about that.

For the Pre and Pre2, there used to be a huge overload of stock (authentic) Palm batteries available, I think I bough the ones I have for 2-5$ each.. I gather that's no longer the case?

I have a bunch myself just sitting on my desk, let me know if you'd be interested. I haven't used them in a long while since getting my Pre3, so I wouldn't know how much charge they'd have, and while I did switch them now and then, most are probably close to "new" unless time cause them to deteriorate.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    There were tons of batteries on amazon last I looked. If someone needs one I probably have some I could spare. They're all questionable at this age though.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    UPDATE:

All batteries have been recalibrated using the Dr Battery app. They now indicate health in the 82-85% range among the three of them.

Yes they were available on fleabay for only $3.70 each. That's not a bad price for this condition. The mugen is $44.

I don't like when people advertise something as new when it is not. But because i contacted them, ireceived a replacement and a refund for one. So i got 3 for 1, but 80 percenters, not 100s. I'm OK with that and decided not to leave negative feedback. But i did want full disclosure here in case anyone buys from same seller.

These will work better than the original batts i have which all are in the 50% range!
    UPDATE:

All batteries have been recalibrated using the Dr Battery app. They now indicate health in the 82-85% range among the three of them.

Yes they were available on fleabay for only $3.70 each. That's not a bad price for this condition. The mugen is $44.

I don't like when people advertise something as new when it is not. But because i contacted them, ireceived a replacement and a refund for one. So i got 3 for 1, but 80 percenters, not 100s. I'm OK with that and decided not to leave negative feedback. But i did want full disclosure here in case anyone buys from same seller.

These will work better than the original batts i have which all are in the 50% range!
    They'd probably be great for the smart light switches that I want to set up. I had a Pre3 sitting on a Touchstone mounted to the wall and its battery sort of went to hell after about a year. Kinda did the bloat thing, and just wouldn't last more than a minute or two. Clearly they weren't built to be on a Touchstone for a full year. :P
    Did you know:

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    They'd probably be great for the smart light switches that I want to set up. I had a Pre3 sitting on a Touchstone mounted to the wall and its battery sort of went to hell after about a year. Kinda did the bloat thing, and just wouldn't last more than a minute or two. Clearly they weren't built to be on a Touchstone for a full year. :P
    Just clarifying my comments on this page refer to batteries for Pre/Plus/Pre2 (and maybe Treo). NOT Pre3.
    Just clarifying my comments on this page refer to batteries for Pre/Plus/Pre2 (and maybe Treo). NOT Pre3.
    Yes, I figured that out after my initial mistake. That said, I have many of both devices. I hadn't left a Pre2 mounted on the wall for that long, but I suspect its battery would do the same thing. The cheap batteries would be good because they are only needed if the device falls or power drops out.
    Did you know:

Just to note.. both my Pre2 and Pre3 have had batteries bloat up, pushing hte back cover and preventing hte Touchstone working right.. so I end up with phones that keep going DING DING DING (going in and out of exposition mode).

Argh....

I wish I could simply have my Pre2 (that I've been using as my bedroom clock) to work with the Touchstone without a battery in it to stop it from doing this..
    I see a pattern...
    UPDATE:

!
    Nice to hear the app its still used. Sorry for your problems though. They even could be "new" (unused) but batteries could grow old even when not used. And if they had 0% when you got them that is even more worse. Never store batteries with 0%.
    Rnp likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Nice to hear the app its still used. Sorry for your problems though. They even could be "new" (unused) but batteries could grow old even when not used. And if they had 0% when you got them that is even more worse. Never store batteries with 0%.
    Yeah man, your battery app is one of the best of webOS IMHO. Thanks so much!

I suspect this seller was harvesting used batteries, resetting their counter, then selling them as new. I can't confirm that obviously, but anyone can tell the difference between electrical contacts which have had a lot of use vs. not.

But 82% healthy batteries for < $4 is OK by me. Mugen is still selling theirs at $44 and who knows when they were produced.
    Rnp likes this.
    Dr Battery > Life!

♥♥♥♥♥
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    somline likes this.