• 2 Post By KngTyrannosaurus
  • 3 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 2 Post By KngTyrannosaurus
  • 2 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    Good evening my "Homie-g's"

I recently bought a much loved Pre-2 off a friend for a monumental $25AUD (~$18 US) with a completely dead battery...
    Anyway after a little bit of hackery (read: just did some stuff to get it working off of a Razr V8 battery then a RC heli batt) to confirm it all worked I packed it away and bought an OEM replacement BP1 off of eBay.

Now, he said he had the inductive charger but couldn't find it- didn't really bother me considering the price I paid but I'd still like to look into grabbing one. Is it worth it? It does have the inductive backplate on it... is it something that I'll wake up every day and say "Golly this sure is useful"
    The hockey puck is about $30ish to get here in Aus without charger and cable... not terrifyingly steep but I'm a student and if its not something I'll find genuinely useful then I'd rather go without.
    When I asked my friend he said it charges slower and doesn't allow the screen to turn off... hmmm

Also, are replacements actually as impossible to find as they seem? Seriously, I can't find a replacement digitizer anywhere, let alone chassis. The whole thing appears to work but if something goes wrong I'd rather not have to go to the darkest corners of the internet for it

Ah well, any advice would be appreciated!

Kng's (smart)phone museum
    -----------------------------
    HTC Wildfire (Rooted, O/C'd)->iPhone 3GS (Jailbroken)->Nokia Lumia 610->Motorola Defy+ (Rooted, O/C'd)->Moto G->iPhone 5 (somewhat knackered)->Moto G->Razr V8 (realized apps should not take 4 hours of the day)
    jcho98 and Rnp like this.
    Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer some questions, and others will chime in too. This place is a good resource.

The phone will work, but it requires some nursing these days because of lack of support from HP. Work-arounds are all available and described in this forum. One primary issue is lack of Palm Profile support. You have to use the phone in developer mode. This has no consequence other than lack of a cloud backup. Hopefully your friend was using the phone recently and is aware of the adaptations we've all made this year. If not, you have a lot of reading to do. But it is described here. Focus on threads by PREEMPTIVE and look for articles by PIVOT CE. They are the best resource for catching up!

As far as power goes, batteries online are hit or miss. I just wrote a new thread describing my experience. Good luck shopping. At least they are cheap.

The TS is very handy once you become used to it. But if you are OK with doing what everyone else does, just keep plugging it in until you feel compelled to pursue it. The TS requires an OEM cable and charger cylinder to work, so you'd have to get one.

If you decide to get one, it sort of helps turn your phone into a desk clock. The screen does stay lit so you can read the time, but pressing the power button will make it black out so you can sleep in the dark no problem. You can also assign a few apps to work in the desktop "exhibition" mode. But it's really just a convenience of not having to plug in. Once you get used to it, you'll always want it so be warned. Mine (1 of many) is mounted to my bedpost so yes, i do wake up every day and think I'm glad i have it! Haha

These days, the best source of replacement parts is other used devices. So if you need a digitizer, you'd buy another phone and swap the screen. Parts interchange easily among models and carrier versions, and that is discussed here too.

One other thing is the "Doctors". The software to flash the phone was readily available from them MFG once, but is harder to find now. But there are sources described here. When you doctor it, you reflash. This can help fix issues, but then you're beginning the path of reactivating without a profile. You'll follow steps described here for "bypassing activation" screen.

It's a fun device, still mostly functional. I use it every day and love it. Become familiar with Preware as that is our source for software downloads now.

Good luck and welcome to webOS!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Focus on threads by PREEMPTIVE and look for articles by PIVOT CE. They are the best resource for catching up!
    How flattering!
    As far as power goes, batteries online are hit or miss. I just wrote a new thread describing my experience. Good luck shopping. At least they are cheap.
    Batteries:
    https://mugen.co/mugen-power-1400mah...-palm-pre.html Got one, works well, more capacity. Bit more expensive than what you paid for the phone...

The Pre 2 & HP Veer in 2014 | pivotCE

And I can conveniently link to one I posted earlier:
    [HELP] WebOS Doctor Jar File

Lots of people like the Touchstone. I hope your friend can find the lost one for you. As TJs11thPre said, the Pre will detect the TS and go into 'exhibition' mode - usually a clock, but the are other apps with this function so you could have the weather or a twitter feed... but not many developers did much with this mode, so it didn't become a big thing.

This was (I think) the first inductive charger for mobiles... oh, wait!
    The Third Day of webOS-mas – The Touchstone.
    Putting a Touchstone in My Car: A Walk Through My Process

It's important to note that it is not Qi compatible (the standard for most android phones), but some like it so much that they have hacked the system into other phones or to phones that don't have wireless charging.
    Nexus 4 gains Touchstone charging thanks to clever hacking - webOS Nation
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/06/2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Touchstones are awesome - just plop down the phone and it charges. If it rings, just lift it off and it answers. They are great for keeping your device charged while you are sitting at your desk, and overnight to use the phone as your nightstand clock. The only annoying thing is that even at minimum brightness, the screen is a bit too bright. They do make the phone slightly warmer than a wired charger, so heavy data use while on the Touchstone isn't a good idea, but the same is true with wired charging.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/06/2015 at 03:05 PM.
  5.    #5  
    TJs11thPre
    The phone will work, but it requires some nursing these days because of lack of support from HP. Work-arounds are all available and described in this forum. One primary issue is lack of Palm Profile support. You have to use the phone in developer mode. This has no consequence other than lack of a cloud backup. Hopefully your friend was using the phone recently and is aware of the adaptations we've all made this year. If not, you have a lot of reading to do. But it is described here. Focus on threads by PREEMPTIVE and look for articles by PIVOT CE. They are the best resource for catching up!
    Ah yes, no it was sitting idle for quite some time, so I had to run through the #*DEVMODE# stuff! And thankyou, I have been reading up as much as I can- I did check the PIVOT CE guide on Web OS in 2014 but I was wondering if most of that is still working? For example is Buttah and Govnah still available for download on the homebrew store?

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out, and you're right there... could be much, much worse! I reckon I'll stock up on a few and put them into long term storage mode on a LiPo charger or something...

The TS is very handy once you become used to it. But if you are OK with doing what everyone else does, just keep plugging it in until you feel compelled to pursue it. The TS requires an OEM cable and charger cylinder to work, so you'd have to get one.

If you decide to get one, it sort of helps turn your phone into a desk clock. The screen does stay lit so you can read the time, but pressing the power button will make it black out so you can sleep in the dark no problem. You can also assign a few apps to work in the desktop "exhibition" mode. But it's really just a convenience of not having to plug in. Once you get used to it, you'll always want it so be warned. Mine (1 of many) is mounted to my bedpost so yes, i do wake up every day and think I'm glad i have it! Haha
    Ah thanks! Judging by the reactions here I may just get one after I save up a bit I've never tried inductive charging before.... it looks nice though

These days, the best source of replacement parts is other used devices. So if you need a digitizer, you'd buy another phone and swap the screen. Parts interchange easily among models and carrier versions, and that is discussed here too.
    Oh great, I'm so glad this forum is as active as it is- the RAZR forums are all but dead (despite its old modification community)

One other thing is the "Doctors". The software to flash the phone was readily available from them MFG once, but is harder to find now. But there are sources described here. When you doctor it, you reflash. This can help fix issues, but then you're beginning the path of reactivating without a profile. You'll follow steps described here for "bypassing activation" screen.
    Thanks, I'll be sure to DL and backup a copy of the instructions and software!

It's a fun device, still mostly functional. I use it every day and love it. Become familiar with Preware as that is our source for software downloads now.
    I loved it for the 20 or so minutes I had it frankensteined.... even just the hardware design is nice! Cute in a way but very comfy!

Good luck and welcome to webOS!
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice!!

Preemptive
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Batteries:
    https://mugen.co/mugen-power-1400mah...-palm-pre.html Got one, works well, more capacity. Bit more expensive than what you paid for the phone...

The Pre 2 & HP Veer in 2014 | pivotCE

And I can conveniently link to one I posted earlier:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-p...ml#post3442323
    Thanks a ton for the links! The battery one especially... hahaha I don't really mind that its more than I paid for the phone! As far as I'm concerned I got the phone fairly cheap so its cost isn't really a factor when it comes to spares
    I've checked out the pivotCE one before I believe, but its good to see its still quoted and relevant! Anything that you'd add in particular that you've found handy? I plan on maybe underclocking the phone a bit (or adding a mode for that) if ever I need to eek out some battery-life on a weekend trip... not sure if the Pre 2 has much excess horsepower to dial back though

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Lots of people like the Touchstone. I hope your friend can find the lost one for you. As TJs11thPre said, the Pre will detect the TS and go into 'exhibition' mode - usually a clock, but the are other apps with this function so you could have the weather or a twitter feed... but not many developers did much with this mode, so it didn't become a big thing.

This was (I think) the first inductive charger for mobiles... oh, wait!
    The Third Day of webOS-mas The Touchstone.
    Putting a Touchstone in My Car: A Walk Through My Process

It's important to note that it is not Qi compatible (the standard for most android phones), but some like it so much that they have hacked the system into other phones or to phones that don't have wireless charging.
    Nexus 4 gains Touchstone charging thanks to clever hacking - webOS Nation
    Thanks, I hope so too! Oh well, if he doesn't no biggie Hmm thanks for the info though, and those links are on the post uni reading list for tonight

Grabber5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Touchstones are awesome - just plop down the phone and it charges. If it rings, just lift it off and it answers. They are great for keeping your device charged while you are sitting at your desk, and overnight to use the phone as your nightstand clock. The only annoying thing is that even at minimum brightness, the screen is a bit too bright. They do make the phone slightly warmer than a wired charger, so heavy data use while on the Touchstone isn't a good idea, but the same is true with wired charging
    Huh, thats some really nice interface design... seems like the Palm guys had some very good ideas! Thanks for the heads up! Is warmth an issue with the Pre? I noticed on a teardown of the original that they really are quite packed to the gills so it wouldn't surprise me!

Thanks so much for all the support guys! I can't believe how quickly you all came through and replied I hope everything works solidly on the phone hardware-wise once I get a nice long burn-in with the new battery..... if not then I reckon I'll still look into another Pre 2! Mmmmm NIB....
    Rnp and jcho98 like this.
    Palm had fantastic ideas. Just not enough time and money to implement, so they all put on parachutes and left us as passengers on the plane they were piloting. But the phone was so good that 6 years past its prime we are insisting on using them.

There's a kernel to over clock (uberkernel) and a controller app (Govnah) in Preware. If you don't have Preware, you must install with webOS quick installer which is a PC app. Must have latest version which i think is v4.60. There's threads for each of these to read. The uberkernel is stable and highly recommended. To save power, just toggle data off. There really isn't any underclocking because cpu control is dynamic. Most of the time cpu is at 300 anyway.

It's a fun device. I cannot give it up. In fact i just accepted a bet that I'd still be using it in a year. Looking forward to the pitcher of Guinness ill win! Or maybe Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale...or...
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I have lots of touchstones. Could donate one
    Who wouldn't want to wirelessly charge their phone?????
    I refuse to buy another phone that doesn't support or can't be made to support wireless charging easily.

I just haven't decided if I should attempt to modify phones to be Touchstone compatible, or attempt to modify Touchstones to be Qi compatible. Or both. lol
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    krotech and xandros9 like this.
    There is someone still putting Touchstone coils in Samsung Galaxy phones (the S3 and S4) and the iPhone 6 selling over on eBay. The Samsung cover has the interior contact points and the coil is mounted inside the back cover of the phone; looks like the iPhone cover has an adapter that plugs into the Lightning port on the bottom.

I'd like to upgrade my S4 at some point. I have a Touchstone coil in mine. Wonder how hard it will be to adapt it to, say, an LG phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    There is someone still putting Touchstone coils in Samsung Galaxy phones (the S3 and S4) and the iPhone 6 selling over on eBay. The Samsung cover has the interior contact points and the coil is mounted inside the back cover of the phone; looks like the iPhone cover has an adapter that plugs into the Lightning port on the bottom.

I'd like to upgrade my S4 at some point. I have a Touchstone coil in mine. Wonder how hard it will be to adapt it to, say, an LG phone?
    I'm not sure, but I think the Qi coil is a bit bigger. I don't know if there's any practical difference (e.g. efficiency) between the two standards and it would make sense to have a 'Qi + positioning magnets' solution for the widest compatibility, but it may be that a Qi coil won't fit in a TS.

If you have enough TS parts, you could ensure your systems are all TS compatible, but ultimately, Qi or another industry supported (e.g. powermat) standard is probably the way to go. Or....

...as inductive charging isn't a new idea (think of electric toothbrushes), I wonder what would prevent making new TS coils. What elements of the system would be patented? I don't think Qi uses magnets. This may be because they can't rather than won't...

If there is a patent on using magnets to position a device on a charger, I'd guess that Qualcomm owns that and am surprised it isn't licensed. Again, magnets for positioning and aligning isn't new, but it's possible this specific use case could be protected.