1.    #1  
    Hello,
    i'm about to buy pre2 for my wife. I would like to know if the phone is still good for calling, messaging, alarm, music and other basic stuff. Also, what functionalities were lost since the app store got closed down, some APIs changed?

I'm a great fan of nokia n9 and i see some similarities to palm system. Phone's support got terminated just like palm's, leaving a community of fans and developers who still use them. Both systems share the oppenness of linux.
    I'll be grateful for replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by frtachi View Post
    Hello,
    i'm about to buy pre2 for my wife. I would like to know if the phone is still good for calling, messaging, alarm, music and other basic stuff. Also, what functionalities were lost since the app store got closed down, some APIs changed?

I'm a great fan of nokia n9 and i see some similarities to palm system. Phone's support got terminated just like palm's, leaving a community of fans and developers who still use them. Both systems share the oppenness of linux.
    I'll be grateful for replies.
    The things you mentioned work fine. The only problem is that there's no HP/Palm Profile server anymore, but you can easily bypass that requirement. Most other things still work. The browser is a bit outdated and some things like Yahoo email and GMail need to update some certificates but it's all still working
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Browse over to pivotce.com for webOS news too.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Read this: How to bypass the activation | pivotCE. Read also the set up article linked at the end.

The service pack link below should be useful. The Status report should provide an overview.

You should be aware that this phone will require manual updates and user maintenance, but I suppose as an N9 user, you are fine with this. A pre 2 is the oldest phone I would recommend. Anything running less than webOS v2.0 will need an unofficial upgrade as v1+ is proving harder to fix.

See here and related guides: The Pre 2 & HP Veer in 2014 | pivotCE
    Well you just heard from some of the more knowledgeable contributors to this site. Not much i would add other than a little pep talk.

The OS has issues, make no mistake. We kinda have a rowboat with a hole in it and we are all relying on each other for a little help bailing. But as long as you're OK with doing a little more effort than the typical phone OTA download, it's a very enjoyable and functional device.

I LOVE mine and use it every day. Phone, messaging, camera, weather, navigation, web browsing, busy games, email, calendar, and commercial-free Pandora, all work well - as long as you are willing to nurse it occasionally.

When in doubt, come HERE. We can help.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!