Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Sad day today.

I just put my Pre 2 into the big plastic storage bin in the sky-closet w/ a little tear in my eye.
    Probably a good sign, I am gone from the Web OS ranks for good. I had kept it on my home office shelf, thinking somehow I would be back.I had sometimes popped on this site, to read up and have always loved the little OS that could. Much reading; little posting.

The pre-2 hardware was starting to overheat and not function. It seemed like a sign it was time to make my peace. Went MotoX / Republic. Found myself not coming to the site so much. A few months passed.
    ..and somehow, another body has silently slipped off the march.

Wow, Android has come a long way design wise. Newer hardware is seductive.
    A light weight launcher, a little self denial about what Google does with my info and life is not so bad.

Suppose I would be a fool for holding out hope for a second wind with WebOS as a phone system, right?

Thanks to all for a good run!
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    How is the republic experience. The wifi calling/switching reliable?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Suppose I would be a fool for holding out hope for a second wind with WebOS as a phone system, right?
    Well, LuneOS seems to be coming along nicely, but there's no way to know when it will be 'ready' and it would be unrealistic to expect a volunteer developed product to be able to offer the apps & services of the commercial players (though never say never). Each release is announced on pivotCE, so you could subscribe and perhaps in the future you might decide to give it a try.
    Jumped to android, then back to my Veer, then over to BlackBerry 10. I didn't like android. I do like BlackBerry. Stuill play with my Veres now and then, I do miss them, but BlackBerry will do fine for me for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Sad day today.

I just put my Pre 2 into the big plastic storage bin in the sky-closet w/ a little tear in my eye.
    Probably a good sign, I am gone from the Web OS ranks for good. I had kept it on my home office shelf, thinking somehow I would be back.I had sometimes popped on this site, to read up and have always loved the little OS that could. Much reading; little posting.

The pre-2 hardware was starting to overheat and not function. It seemed like a sign it was time to make my peace. Went MotoX / Republic. Found myself not coming to the site so much. A few months passed.
    ..and somehow, another body has silently slipped off the march.

Wow, Android has come a long way design wise. Newer hardware is seductive.
    A light weight launcher, a little self denial about what Google does with my info and life is not so bad.

Thanks to all for a good run!
    Me too, but I slipped into the Crackberry world with a BB Q10 last month. Couldn't get the BB Classic since Sprint is the ONLY major US Carrier not carrying it. The UI wasn't that hard to adjust to. WebOS still is more intuitive and fluid to me, but BB10 is o.k. I couldn't bring myself to delve into the Android world. But good luck anyway.

I still check WebOS Nation daily. I still use my Touchpad, and sometimes my Pre- for games and email via Wifi.
    Last edited by purplepansy; 08/04/2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: forgot to capitalize a proper noun
    It's OK.

I came close with this gmail nonsense, I'm very lucky the guys here helped me solve my problem, so I'll trudge on a bit more.

I looked at the LG G4 which is supposed to be one of the best new phones on the market. But with its giant size and no keyboard its just not for me.

Good luck adapting to droid, and honestly congrats on breaking free. Letting go of a loved one that's been on life support for too long is not easy.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    It's OK.

I came close with this gmail nonsense, I'm very lucky the guys here helped me solve my problem, so I'll trudge on a bit more.

I looked at the LG G4 which is supposed to be one of the best new phones on the market. But with its giant size and no keyboard its just not for me.

Good luck adapting to droid, and honestly congrats on breaking free. Letting go of a loved one that's been on life support for too long is not easy.
    If you ever have to move on give Blackberry 10 a try. Of course not WebOS, it does have a few similar touches. I have the Passport and the capacitive keyboard is awesome and one of those things you wonder why no one ever thought of it before. It is very well built and does not feel like it would totally shatter if dropped like an iDevice. Best of all it's only $100 if you are on AT&T with contract. ( If you have $500+ there is also a stainless steel edition from Blackberry.)

Hopefully by the time you need a new phone again, either LG will release a WebOS phone or Lune moves up to the big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    If you ever have to move on give Blackberry 10 a try. Of course not WebOS, it does have a few similar touches. I have the Passport and the capacitive keyboard is awesome and one of those things you wonder why no one ever thought of it before. It is very well built and does not feel like it would totally shatter if dropped like an iDevice. Best of all it's only $100 if you are on AT&T with contract. ( If you have $500+ there is also a stainless steel edition from Blackberry.)

Hopefully by the time you need a new phone again, either LG will release a WebOS phone or Lune moves up to the big time.
    LG will never release a webOS phone and LuneOS is a hobbyist endeavor that will never go prime time.

My only hope is the rumored BB slider. If it comes to Sprint, I'll probably do it. I'm NOT typing on a piece of glass and I'm not changing carriers now that no one offers truly unlimited data. But thanks for your review of BB10 I'm familiar with your positive migration. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Jumped to android, then back to my Veer, then over to BlackBerry 10. I didn't like android. I do like BlackBerry. Stuill play with my Veres now and then, I do miss them, but BlackBerry will do fine for me for now.
    I do understand how you left Android and went to BB 10. The few times I tried to use my family members' Android phones, I felt like
    I've been using android approximately six years from the current 2.1 to 5.1 today. and yet I do not change my pre2 and touchpad for nothing. android is not intuitive. bored.

TJs11thPre likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    How is the republic experience. The wifi calling/switching reliable?
    Laingman: I feel a little bad promoting a droid system on this board, but absolutely. Easy enough to always turn off wifi and then you default to the cell network. Had a little trouble at first, but realized it was my formatting (for some reason calls always wanted 1+areacode+#) . After that, no issues. They have a built in app that remembers specific networks as you encounter them and gives you options to deny / join select ones, so you can make sure you only call on networks you trust.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
  12.    #12  
    Don't get me wrong.. I don't love Android. I find it bloated and un-intuitive and the inconsistent interfaces drive me insane. But like a marriage of convenience I am getting used to it. Each release seems to mitigate a bit. Keeping the launcher dirt simple helps. And the speedier hardware at least makes the pain pass quickly. I love being able to speak out my email and text replies so quickly and easily.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Well, if the bloat and the Google spying is what you're concerned about, I would suppose CyanogenMod would be a good bet, although you might not want your phone warranty voided so soon. I personally use CM KitKat and Lollipop on a regular basis, including on the Touchpad, and it's impressive seeing how well it works, given that we're talking about fairly old hardware.
    As long as I have to type on this piece of glass, and this ***** keyboard app changes words without any sense, so I have to go back in a post and correct typos as often as I do, I'll never use a slab android phone. I want to smash this tablet at least once a day because the keyboard SUCKS. I've tried every option in the Play store. Glass keyboards are garbage!

Also, why, in this 12th generation of the OS, is there no UNDO function?

If you are typing in this very text field making a new post, and accidentally hit the PASTE button while trying to reposition your cursor, you have to delete it all manually. Why is there no UNDO and REDO in android? Because it's garbage!

Ugh I could go on and on about how this OS SUX.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    As long as I have to type on this piece of glass, and this ***** keyboard app changes words without any sense, so I have to go back in a post and correct typos as often as I do, I'll never use a slab android phone. I want to smash this tablet at least once a day because the keyboard SUCKS. I've tried every option in the Play store. Glass keyboards are garbage!

Also, why, in this 12th generation of the OS, is there no UNDO function?

If you are typing in this very text field making a new post, and accidentally hit the PASTE button while trying to reposition your cursor, you have to delete it all manually. Why is there no UNDO and REDO in android? Because it's garbage!

Ugh I could go on and on about how this OS SUX.
    iOS has Shake to Undo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    iOS has Shake to Undo
    Well it does have that going for it. Android is so painful, and iOS is so lifeless and boring and painful at times.. I can't decide which is the lesser of two evils... Sticking with webOS until I can't keep it going, and praying there is something less sucky available when that time comes.
    TJs11thPre and kulf like this.
    More than likely, once I determine that webOS is entirely unusable, I will jump aboard the next OS that is endangered.

I'm just that way....always hanging around the underdog.
    Grabber5.0 and kulf like this.
    Came across this article bout Kim Kardashian hoarding old blackberrys cause she likes real keyboards for real typing. We not the only die hards it seems: http://mobilizer.instapaper.com/m?u=...ckberry-phones

jccjmml7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Well it does have that going for it. Android is so painful, and iOS is so lifeless and boring and painful at times.. I can't decide which is the lesser of two evils... Sticking with webOS until I can't keep it going, and praying there is something less sucky available when that time comes.
    Two evils = 100% accurate!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Came across this article bout Kim Kardashian hoarding old blackberrys cause she likes real keyboards for real typing. We not the only die hards it seems: Why Kim Kardashian has a stash of BlackBerry phones - Technology

Well THAT should be enough to spark a trend favoring keyboards again. Then we'd get a piece of hardware worth porting LuneOS to.

That's it, I'm holding my breath!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/09/2015 at 02:41 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast