1.    #1  
    I don't think this is specific to the Pre2, but we'll start here. I am having some strange errors on my FrankenPre2, causing fairly high battery drain. It hasn't been continuous, but I saw it once last week, but has been quiet for the last few days, and recurred this evening. I would notice the battery draining even though I was not using my phone. The first time, it occurred after installing a patch, so I removed that patch, and it quit, but based on the patch (I forget what it was now) I was fairly certain it had nothing to do with the patch. I've shut the phone down for now, but will power it back on in the morning and see if it starts back up.

Google search turned up nothing except a different error message (Connection refused) from the same source file. I was hoping it might at least turn up where that file was used, but nothing. Edit: After a couple more searches I remembered that hidd is the service you have to stop when you recalibrate the touchscreen. When it's stopped, the touchscreen, keyboard, and the buttons on the phone do not respond to input.

Here is a snippet from the message log captured using Lumberjack. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

2015-04-15 06:19:42] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 3]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:43] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:44] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:46] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:47] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 3]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:48] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 3]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:49] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:50] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:51] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 3]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:52] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    [2015-04-15 06:19:54] (hidd) user.err: HiddEventIpc.c:440 : _SendEvent: No such file or directory [Errors since last msg: 4]
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/15/2015 at 03:36 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Interestingly, though a reboot did not stop the errors, stopping and starting the hidd process did seem to stop it. Hmmmmm

stop hidd
    start hidd
    Mine has a battery drain - it lights up like something's going to happen, then goes dark again. Are these your symtoms too? This (and whatever is causing it) reduces battery life significantly - I've meaning to get around to removing all patches / doctoring / whatever fixes it. I don't recall that particular error from the logs, but it was a while ago. I'll see if I get time to have another look.
    stop hidd
    start hidd
    Are those the actual commands?

OT: On the subject of logs, an app or tweak to show recently used apps might surely take advantage of webOS basically being a web browser and display the history. If no actual history file is generated, then either a patch to add to a log file each time an app is launched or an app that collects specific log entries might do the job...
    (Disclaimer: I'm not a coder!)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/15/2015 at 06:39 AM.
    That hidd stuff is above my pay grade,

But I have seen circumstance where screen lights up then goes off. It appeared related to the headset audio flip flopping on its own to the headset setting even though no headset was connected. The status of the audio circuit, and the unintended switching, was observable using the audio switcher app. It very much seemed like a short at the 3.5mm jack but I could not confirm this. "Wiggling the OREO" seemed to exacerbate it.

When I had mystery power drains, switching off data seemed to alleviate them. But my data drains seemed to be related to contact and calendar sync issues.

Both of which were in previous unit now dead, so no resolutions to share. Good luck.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I used a Palm Pre 2 at the end of last year as a second device and noticed, that the battery kept alive for almost a week, when the Pre 2 was on but wasn't used.
    When the shutdown of the HP servers was announced for the first time I loaded a few ten apps on this device and noticed - without opening one of this new apps - that the lifetime of my battery was suddenly far less than a day. At this time I was happy to use my Veer and didn't do anything about it.
    After some time I wanted to know if the loss of battery lifetime had something to do with the installed apps. So I deleted all of the new apps and since then the battery lasts almost one week again.
    I doubt that this is the same case that you have - but since I really don't understand the error logfiles I wrote this down - just in case it might help...
    I'm seeing them too in Lumberjack on my VZW Pre3, and having poor battery life. Might this be related to the Backup app? I never turned the backup off, I have to assume it's regularly trying to connect.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  7.    #7  
    I'm pretty certain these errors started before the servers were shut down. The backup generates a different set of errors. The hidd stuff is for user input, via touch, the keyboard, and the buttons. See a few posts above for the commands I used to restart that process and stop the errors. Use a novaterm window from WOSQI or from a Linux terminal, because you can't do it on-device or you won't be able to start the hidd process back up.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/23/2015 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm pretty certain these errors started before the servers were shut down. The backup generates a different set of errors. The hidd stuff is for user input, via touch, the keyboard, and the buttons. See a few posts above for the commands I used to restart that process and stop the errors. Use a novaterm window from WOSQI or from a Linux terminal, because you can't do it on-device or you won't be able to start the hidd process back up.
    I used the commands you posted, will that stop them permanently?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    For the last few weeks, off and on, My pre3 has been draining very quickly. I used to go 36 hours easily when not in use, but lately I lose 15-20%/hour when off the charger. I just tried the stop hidd command and we will see if it imporves. thanks for the tip.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I used the commands you posted, will that stop them permanently?
    No. I have had to do it a few times the last few weeks. I do not know the root cause. I haven't found anything useful yet, aside from the stop/start stopping the errors for a while. My Pre3 battery doesn't drain as fast as my Pre2 battery when these errors are happening, but it also has a bigger battery and less stuff on it.
  11.    #11  
    Quick bump to add that I tried reflashing the touchpanel with PmTpUpdater, but it did not resolve the problem. It's a shame, because this phone is otherwise still in very good shape. I've got enough supply I don't need to doctor it to rule out hardware, and would still really love to win this battle.
    I have this happen with my Pre3 as well. I occasionally notice the screen lighting up unexpectedly and every once in a while the battery starts to drain much more rapidly while in standby. I can go a few days with normal performance and then the mystery fast discharge will start out of the blue.

The only thing that has worked to slow the battery drain is to turn off cellular data.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  13.    #13  
    Have you actually seen the hidd process errors in the log? I have never seen any other references to this particular error. I've seen a couple of other ones in posts, but not repeated like this? When this happens, even airplane mode does not stop the drain, and a device restart does nothing (frankly that's just weird) - only restarting the hidd process stops it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Have you actually seen the hidd process errors in the log? I have never seen any other references to this particular error. I've seen a couple of other ones in posts, but not repeated like this? When this happens, even airplane mode does not stop the drain, and a device restart does nothing (frankly that's just weird) - only restarting the hidd process stops it.
    No. I haven't seen the hidd process errors. I'll install lumberjack, turn on the data, and see what I get.

Edit: I had just read the last few posts about battery drain and didn't pay attention to the thread title. Mea culpa. There's nothing in my logs related to that hidd error.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10/08/2016 at 07:40 PM.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    My Pre2 is still gathering dust due to the problem mentioned in post 3. Do you want me to doctor it? Or any other tests? I have been having (different) problems with the Pre3, so I'm thinking I should doctor everything and apply all the latest fixes and... see what happens! (then buy an iphone, no an Android, give up on smartphones and become a hermit.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    give up on smartphones and become a hermit.)
    This is my sentiment exactly. I just saw the south park episode where the girl quits twitter and they treat it like a suicide. Lol But i want to throw my new an-dud phone in the river too.

@Matt,
    Can these errors be caused by age of the physical hardware? You mentioned they are touch inputs, so - prone to degradation? Just wondering about the cause of such an issue.

Has there been a pattern to what activities occurred before the error s? Or a pattern in time of day? Or hours between? Or access to wifi? Or hours since reboot? Hmmmm...
    Or, do YOU cause the error by using it?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    @Matt,
    Can these errors be caused by age of the physical hardware? You mentioned they are touch inputs, so - prone to degradation? Just wondering about the cause of such an issue.
    I was thinking about this. I was thinking that if it was 'phantom touches' from an aging touchscreen, then there's not much to be done, but what if it was something else? Does your phone have a screen protector? How long has it been on there? It could be that a bit of old glue and plastic makes no difference, but they have to be conductive... What if you remove it and give the screen a clean? Very likely no difference, but it's one possible cause eliminated. I'll give this a try on my phone.
  18.    #18  
    On this phone there are no other symptoms, and no noticeable pattern. I have a Pre with phantom touches, so I know it's not that. It will be perfectly fine for several days, then start doing it again. If I just reboot or power cycle, it doesn't stop. It was my first Franken Pre2 and was perfect for over a year before it started.
    I've seen this before on my phone, at least the error messages. I kind of ignored them, but maybe that isn't a good idea? Anyway, I think it is mostly a bug in this build of hidd. But... I don't initially have an idea for a fix.

From wterm you can use this command to stop and restart it:

stop hidd && start hidd

That will cause it to start again without you needing to type the start command on a keyboard that is disabled.

I wonder.... Maybe having a cron job or service that restarts hidd at certain times of the day? The problem is, a perfect fix would require source code to hidd.

Edit: At one time, I had tried to hunt down the "missing file" to understand it. It is what is known as a device file. Something like /dev/keyboard3.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, I hunted for the source to no avail. I have a script on my phone that stops and starts the hidd service back up that I run from wterm. I've thought about using cron before, but I've never tried on a webOS device. I can never remember the syntax. I remember seeing an app that would let you set up cron jobs, but never tried it. Perhaps I should check it out.

Any idea why that would work but a power cycle would not?
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/10/2016 at 10:02 PM.