Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By creepingmee
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    So I am long over due to get a new pre2 on sprint. Been searching without success to find anyone doing this modification service any more. I'll do it my self if I have to, don't mind the hardware part but hate the software. Just as soon pay somebody.

If there is any one interested and have time please let me know. Thanks.
    I need to look around for my meta-doctors first, but I think I can help you out. Building the metadoctor is the only 'hard' part.. I have them saved so I can re-use them. What donor Pre2 do you have? The hardware part is much easier after the first time.

Edit: I found them. I have 2.1 and 2.2.4 for a Verizon donor and 2.2.4 for an unlocked GSM donor. (I need to double-check that 2.1 dr again.. I'm pretty sure that's right but I may have mixed them up in my head...)
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/10/2015 at 08:22 PM.
    Just wondering, why sprint? A nice pre3 on an MVNO would be a decent deal. Just a suggestion.

Also, if for some reason you are hell bent on a sprint frankenpre2 I have made the metas before as well and would be willing to help no charge, not that I am questioning Matt's abilities or anything just offering any help I can.
    Grabber5.0 and MudShark22 like this.
  4.    #4  
    I have a gsm pre2 frakenpre now. I have a verizon pre2 I could use for the new one, tho I prefer the unlocked version because the mirror has no advertising on it. I had my back up gsm waiting and lent it to girlfriend who dropped it and cracked the screen. Not sure if I should buy another one or use the verizon.

Regarding sprint I doubt I could do better on another carrier with my habit of streaming up to ten hours a day and free tether while at work. I am scared to switch.

2.1 or 2.4 don't matter, I always doctor to 2.1 anyway.
    I was right I mixed them up, but I kept all the downloads, so I just built a franken-verizon-2.1 meta doctor to complete the set, so it gives me all the options I might want in the future. You are welcome to any of them.

If your only donor is a Verizon model, the swap is cake - just swap the active modem into the donor and run the desired metadoctor version.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    If you don't want Verizon printed on the mirror you can swap the slider mechanism separately and keep the blank mirror. Or use the gsm backup but swap in the Verizon's good screen. I'd do a test of which keyboard feels best though, as that is more important than the aesthetic feature. You don't want to move to a "harder clicking" keyboard. Or to a slider with more "Oreo wiggle".

But I actually prefer the vzn branded mirror now. People have doubted when I said I built my own phone until I showed them that as proof.

Like you, I have also stayed with sprint vs. moving to an att mvno. Truly unlimited data is nothing to discard so quickly. Plus, free roaming, unlimited mobile to mobile, and mine is actually old enough I'm not even paying the smartphone $10 upcharge. Removing my phone from the family plan I'm on would only reduce the monthly bill by $20.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 02/11/2015 at 12:12 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks all. Let me think about this a little, good to know we still have folks around to help and advice.
  8.    #8  
    So I just received a gsm pre2. Paid about $40 on amazon used. Its not in original box or palm branded accessories, but the device looks practically unused to me.

Now what to do? My current phone is good except for the non-working camera, and the keyboard maybe could be better. Don't know if I should wait until /if it is no longer serviceable or switch to the new one right now.
    I say switch now. You have a few days of HP left and signing into your profile might be easier than the current HB backup / restore options available, depending on how much that bothers you. Plus working camera & keyboard.

Let's be honest, we're on life support until LuneOS is ready. Maybe it will make calls in a couple of months, but daily driver? Who can say? Why not enjoy your webOS experience?

If you want to mess with the old one, it's not impossible that you could clean up the keyboard contacts and find the loose connection to the camera (or whatever). Maybe you could fix it up or use it for spares?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I say switch now. You have a few days of HP left and signing into your profile might be easier than the current HB backup / restore options available, depending on how much that bothers you. Plus working camera & keyboard.

Let's be honest, we're on life support until LuneOS is ready. Maybe it will make calls in a couple of months, but daily driver? Who can say? Why not enjoy your webOS experience?

If you want to mess with the old one, it's not impossible that you could clean up the keyboard contacts and find the loose connection to the camera (or whatever). Maybe you could fix it up or use it for spares?
    Ok. I think maybe I should see if I can have a pro do the job this time. We have a couple of members willing to help out. I will check with Grabber if he has time, since he offered first. Thanks all