Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By barryb20
  • 2 Post By laingman
  • 2 Post By PalmPixi_User23
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

cannot help myself just purchased a BNIB (or is that pickled) Pre 2 on e-bay lol, after giving my Pre 3 to an intern then my other one dying a death, the thought of the damn servers going down soon so I will buy a new one

So will wait and see what arrives next week I guess, but in the meantime I doubt it will be a daily driver my BB Z30 is too good an all rounder and I don't have a micro to standard sim adaptor at the moment.

Barry
    Unfortunately, HP does't want to keep supporting a 3 year old nearly dead platform. We're close to making LuneOS into a daily driver, so just keep an ear out for that
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Unfortunately, HP does't want to keep supporting a 3 year old nearly dead platform. We're close to making LuneOS into a daily driver, so just keep an ear out for that
    Hi Boovish,

Indeed and I can understand why but to a company the size of HP keeping the servers alive would be a drop in the ocean.

What gets me is even with Lune OS getting better and better we wont have the physical key board hardware to run with it, the Pre design is iconic IMO

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi Boovish,

Indeed and I can understand why but to a company the size of HP keeping the servers alive would be a drop in the ocean.

What gets me is even with Lune OS getting better and better we wont have the physical key board hardware to run with it, the Pre design is iconic IMO

Barry
    True, what I really want is a pre with new internals and software
    TJs11thPre and xandros9 like this.
    Well, there will probably be the bluetooth keyboard code in there, so there is a possibility of something like this:
    Typo iPhone Keyboard Case

The problem of course is the range of Android phones. Even with the newer ones, Apple's are of consistent sizes and used by many.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    True, what I really want is a pre with new internals and software
    I think that is the saddest (no more Palm Pre's) especially with the Palm Inc, being dead now and HP disastrous way of ending WebOS hardware its pretty much dead the Pre form factor unless you go for RIM BlackBerry BB classic. If WebOS ever rise up again from the dead, we will get the same boring slab form factor like all smartphone nowadays.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    barryb20 and xandros9 like this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I think that is the saddest (no more Palm Pre's) especially with the Palm Inc, being dead now and HP disastrous way of ending WebOS hardware its pretty much dead the Pre form factor unless you go for RIM BlackBerry BB classic. If WebOS ever rise up again from the dead, we will get the same boring slab form factor like all smartphone nowadays.
    That is very true, but these days with patents changing hands so much you never know.

Having hung around the CrackBerry forums there still appears to be a big appetite for keyboard based phones, but they have to be done well with great word correction, don't think that was a killer feature in webOS though it was half decent.

I did get a BB Passport for my Xmas but returned it too big, but great at what it did and I'm sure a lot of people will love it, also still have my Moto X Gen 2, and BB Z30, the other phones coming out were too big, Nexus 6, LG G3 etc and I might regress back to just using the Pre 2 when it arrives and just use email and text (and whatsapp if it still works).

Barry