Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    So I installed Preware yesterday on my Pre 2 to see how it'd behave in preparation to install it on the Pre 3 I'm getting. But all of the sudden now it won't load beyond the HP logo screen. This is what happened before leading to the freeze:

I installed preware
    I installed a browser patches
    I tried to installed the overclock pack ( I forgot the name of it)
    I installed Govnah
    I had govnah running trying to install the overclock pack but govnah had "n/a" on all phone stats
    I closed preware
    Pre 2 powered down when I ran out of battery
    I plugged it to recharge. The cell went through the motions of showing the dead battery icon then when having enough power it started loading but it never passed beyond the HP logo.

Is my phone bricked!?!?!? PLEASE HELP!
    Usually, this would be the time to Doctor your phone, but there's still a chance that you could memboot it and load a "healthy", unmodified kernel and recover what you had...

The Doctor is a n00b-proof method, but if you have stuff you'd still like to save, like app data, you can try the more complex but more rewarding method

The Doctor can be found here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Usually, this would be the time to Doctor your phone, but there's still a chance that you could memboot it and load a "healthy", unmodified kernel and recover what you had...

The Doctor is a n00b-proof method, but if you have stuff you'd still like to save, like app data, you can try the more complex but more rewarding method

The Doctor can be found here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    If Doctor if the "n00b-proof" method... what is the "more complex method"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian WebOS View Post
    So I installed Preware yesterday on my Pre 2 to see how it'd behave in preparation to install it on the Pre 3 I'm getting. But all of the sudden now it won't load beyond the HP logo screen. This is what happened before leading to the freeze:

I installed preware
    I installed a browser patches
    I tried to installed the overclock pack ( I forgot the name of it)
    I installed Govnah
    I had govnah running trying to install the overclock pack but govnah had "n/a" on all phone stats
    I closed preware
    Pre 2 powered down when I ran out of battery
    I plugged it to recharge. The cell went through the motions of showing the dead battery icon then when having enough power it started loading but it never passed beyond the HP logo.

Is my phone bricked!?!?!? PLEASE HELP!
    "All of a sudden" ?? Your battery died suddenly? Come on now.

It's very important to have full battery when doing stuff like modifying your kernel. I also recommend wifi vs cell data for installing several things in a session. You should have been installing uberkernel. This is the most stable one.

First let the phone recharge completely, reboot and see what you've got. You may try installing the recovery kernel through Preware. But You most likely need to doctor and start over. WebOS phones do not "brick". But you should do a lot of reading here and get caught up. Know what order to install kernels, apps, and patches. Read what is obsolete and what has become known as sstandard now that so much time has gone by since these were released. Don't jump right into over clocking. There's some finesse to it for sure. Sorry your first attempt went badly. But you can restart by doctoring. Good luck.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 11/03/2014 at 01:00 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

[...]

WebOS phones do not "brick".

[...]
    Great point. All doctoring and modifications should be done on a fully charged battery and at normal operating temperature. My mother's Pre+ was once knocked out when it overheated on the Touchstone during an OTA update. The bootloader got corrupted, so it didn't show many signs of life, but it was still possible to put it in recovery mode and doctor it. Sliding the phone open before setting it down to charge could have prevented the problem.

As for "don't brick", almost. The TI OMAP-powered phones (Pre, Pixi, Pre2) are literally unbrickable, so even if the bootloader is corrupted and unresponsive, the CPU has a recovery mechanism. The Qualcomm-powered Pre3 and the Touchpad can be "bricked", but a great deal of work has been done by the guys at the XDA Dev forums, to the point that it's almost not a problem. The Veer on the other hand, can be bricked if the magnetic cord comes loose while the Doctor is reflashing modem/TTS firmware. At that point the Veer is as good as a rock, and most people will part it out rather than trying to reflash the corrupted firmware over JTAG
  6.    #6  
    FYI, when I started messing with Preware I had about 60% battery charge. Sure it wasn't "full charge" but it was more than enough to make a few changes. But for some weird reason the battery went from 60 to 0 in about an hour. No, my battery isn't broken; it was working just fine until I ran Preware I was installing patches so it is obvious to me that running Preware and doing the changes kill the battery life.

Also, when I saw that the battery was at 20% I stopped making changes because I know that powering down any device while installing updates and/or patches can damage the OS. When I stopped at 20% (but let Preware and Govnah running), I simply put my cell on the table. But then I was shocked when my phone notified me that it was about to power down because battery power was almost completely down after only 15 minutes! So I closed Preware and looked at the Govnah app to see what it said and it still showed N/A all across the stats. That's when the phone powered down.

I also did all this over Wi-Fi because my cell is deactivated but I still use it as an iPod. I think I also installed uberkernel first. I don't remember the exact name, but it was label as "Stable" so I did it.

So, now that the "eye rolling" is hopefully done, how do I launch/start WebDoctor because I downloaded it and all I see in there are more files and not a launcher/installer of the program itself.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, first of all. Thank you everyone for your input. I managed to fix my cell using webos doctor. Now, if you could direct me to a tutorial to recover my apps (if possible), I'd appreciate it. Of course my cell crashed right after the store closed so I can't just simply redownload my apps. Or can I?
    Ok, first of all. Thank you everyone for your input. I managed to fix my cell using webos doctor. Now, if you could direct me to a tutorial to recover my apps (if possible), I'd appreciate it. Of course my cell crashed right after the store closed so I can't just simply redownload my apps. Or can I?
    Some things are still downloading try it!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    The store is only closed for new purchases of paid apps. As TJ said, give it a try - you should be able to re-download everything. Before you do, I recommend installing the patch to retain downloaded packages, because the store will close for good Jan 15th.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The store is only closed for new purchases of paid apps. As TJ said, give it a try - you should be able to re-download everything. Before you do, I recommend installing the patch to retain downloaded packages, because the store will close for good Jan 15th.
    My App store is completely blank now. When I first restore my OS using webos doctor, the store's icos shows the original "Palm" store icon. But when I install the update to the store is goes completely blank. Is it because I'm doing it over Wi-Fi as suppose to the Verizon network so my profile is not really recovered? I'm using impostah in order to log into my profile.

Any ideas/thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
    My App store is completely blank now. When I first restore my OS using webos doctor, the store's icos shows the original "Palm" store icon. But when I install the update to the store is goes completely blank. Is it because I'm doing it over Wi-Fi as suppose to the Verizon network so my profile is not really recovered? I'm using impostah in order to log into my profile.

Any ideas/thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
    Why are you using impostah rather than log into existing profile upon doctoring?
    Did you update the app cat cert?
    Does the software manager show you have installed the app catalog update?
    Is your app cat v2.1.10000?

Does impostah show you have app cat access= true under the app catalog tab? Check the country code value too.
  12.    #12  
    Why are you using impostah rather than log into existing profile upon doctoring?
    Did you update the app cat cert?
    Does the software manager show you have installed the app catalog update?
    Is your app cat v2.1.10000?

Does impostah show you have app cat access= true under the app catalog tab? Check the country code value too.
    Ok, I'll answer in order:

"Why...?": Because my cell is no longer in service, I just use it for Wi-Fi so apparently (and I've tried it) I can't log in to my Palm profile unless my cell is connected to the Verizon service. The times that I tried the cell just hung there without successfully login the cell to my Palm Profile.

"Did you...?": Yes. When I first recovered the OS, I couldn't download anything at all. Then I updated the certificate first and then I could download stuff but couldn't install. THEN when I updated the store to v2.1.10000 is when the app went completely blank, but I now installed the few apps I re-DLed but wasn't able to install.

"Does...?": Yes.

"Is your...": Yes.

Any thoughts of what I might be doing wrong?