Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    My replacement Palm Pre2 has WebOS 2.2.4.

This Pre2 has a transparent screen which is annoying. Underneath the apps, the wallpaper is visible.

It brings up an extremely annoying glowing green circle every time I touch an app. It glows for a long time as this Pre2 is the slowest of the three I have owned. How to disable the glowing circle?

I performed several full factory resets but they are not actually factory resets. Device Info > Reset Options > Secure Full Erase. Slowness and green glowing circle remain. Same error message that maps download failed.I never tried to download maps.

I cannot pay for apps. Error message: "The action could not be completed. Try again later." . How do I perform a real factory reset?
    You need to download a webOS Doctor, which is a Java-based package that has the factory ROM image and an installer tool, all rolled into one.

The "factory reset" option is useless when someone has installed a custom theme and a bunch of other stuff.

Here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/01/2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Remy is correct. Doctor is your only solution.

The App Catalog is now unable to complete new purchases as of today. If you'd like to know why read the FAQ https://developer.palm.com/content/r...velop/faq.html
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Furthermore, the copy of Google Maps that the phone may have shipped with, is dead. There's a great Homebrew replacement on Preware, just search for "Google maps" in there and you'll see it
    Also of note that you can no longer pay for apps, that ability ended the day before your post. HP is shutting down the app catalog.
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for your answers. HP's error message should have been a notice that they discontinued the app store.

I needed to pay for a file manager so I can read my files. I will follow the instructions to download webOS Doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by badBIOSvictim View Post
    Thanks for your answers. HP's error message should have been a notice that they discontinued the app store.

I needed to pay for a file manager so I can read my files. I will follow the instructions to download webOS Doctor.
    You can use a free file manager, Internalz Pro, which is found on Preware. That's what i use..
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    if you don't actually need to doctor, but only need to remove the theme, you may be able to do that with WOSQI or Preware.

WOSQI has an unofficial release available on the forum (v. 4.5.1). you put it on your PC and then connect your device via PC. the device must be in dev mode first.

Preware i believe also requires devmode, since you install it to your device with WOSQI. They just released an update which was the purpose of rushing the unofficial version above.

I believe either will allow you to delete the theme. I've never used a theme so IDK. Just another option.

But a completely fresh start requires a doctoring. You download the doctor and the novacom drivers to your PC, and connect the device via USB. But this time the device must be in recovery mode before connection.

once you get Preware or WOSQI, you should install internalz pro, which will also request the accompanying file manager. this is what you want on your device to install/edit/view/explore files.

All of this is explained here and at webosinternals where you select the doctor for your model and carrier. good luck.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    if you don't actually need to doctor, but only need to remove the theme, you may be able to do that with WOSQI or Preware.

WOSQI has an unofficial release available on the forum (v. 4.5.1). you put it on your PC and then connect your device via PC. the device must be in dev mode first.

Preware i believe also requires devmode, since you install it to your device with WOSQI. They just released an update which was the purpose of rushing the unofficial version above.

I believe either will allow you to delete the theme. I've never used a theme so IDK. Just another option.

But a completely fresh start requires a doctoring. You download the doctor and the novacom drivers to your PC, and connect the device via USB. But this time the device must be in recovery mode before connection.

once you get Preware or WOSQI, you should install internalz pro, which will also request the accompanying file manager. this is what you want on your device to install/edit/view/explore files.

All of this is explained here and at webosinternals where you select the doctor for your model and carrier. good luck.
    He bought a Pre 2 off eBay and never doctored it... i would think a fresh ROM is better than running whatever junk the previous owner left... but i appreciate you posting the alternate method
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    He bought a Pre 2 off eBay and never doctored it... i would think a fresh ROM is better than running whatever junk the previous owner left... but i appreciate you posting the alternate method
    i'd want that too, unless the phone was from a relative and loaded with paid apps, or some similar arrangement.

i had to make this choice when I got my TPad, which was second-hand. i also doctored, but after some months to realize i didn't need any of what was installed anyway.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!