Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    First, let me ask for mercy. I know the information i'm after exists deep in forums but digging it out hasn't been easy and deciphering it has been tough too. So i'm going to ask the exact questions i have here and hope you all can help me out.

I have an Verizon Pre 2 that i would like to set up for a family member. For the moment, it is not active on our Verizon account. When i turn it on it asks me to sign into a Palm account; which i cannot do. If the phone was indeed active on Verizon, would i be able to create a Palm account still in order to use this phone? Is there an alternate way if needed?

Is there anything else that i'm missing or need to do?

Thank you for any help you can provide me
    What do you mean, you cannot create a profile? WHY NOT?

However - You're coming in at a chaotic time. The profile you wish to create is going to have no support in a few months.

I'm still waiting to hear what those who know better have to say, but it may become necessary to bypass creating a profile and work with your phone in developer mode only. (From emerg. Dial pad, delete 911, dial ##devmode#. )

I'm also not sure if you need to bother with the update cert anymore, as the catalog is also being shut down soon.

I'm sorry if you don't like deciphering, but there's a lot to read now that Hp is cutting off the last of its support. You either need to become an expert quickly, or this may not be the phone for you. I'm confused myself and I've been here for years, so you're not alone.

Maybe someone else will offer a more positive reply.
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    What do you mean, you cannot create a profile? WHY NOT?

However - You're coming in at a chaotic time. The profile you wish to create is going to have no support in a few months.

I'm still waiting to hear what those who know better have to say, but it may become necessary to bypass creating a profile and work with your phone in developer mode only. (From emerg. Dial pad, delete 911, dial ##devmode#. )

I'm also not sure if you need to bother with the update cert anymore, as the catalog is also being shut down soon.

I'm sorry if you don't like deciphering, but there's a lot to read now that Hp is cutting off the last of its support. You either need to become an expert quickly, or this may not be the phone for you. I'm confused myself and I've been here for years, so you're not alone.

Maybe someone else will offer a more positive reply.
    what i mean by not being able to sign into the Palm account is this: I turn on the phone and it asks me to use a Palm Profile, but i can't sign into it (one i set up with my Touchpad, awhile back) or create a new one, so i can't get past that setp. I was wondering if it was because the phone was not active, which would makes sense. I was asking here if anyone knew if the phone being active would then allow me to sign in, or if that palm profile service is no more (i realize that HP is pulling the plug on stuff by 1/2015. Hopefully, the phone will continue to work if i can get it setup and preware'd before then)

I will try the developer mode and see if i can bypass the profile altogether.

Thanks
    Yes, that is why you can't sign in - it needs data access. Activation bypass using ##devmode# is what you need. You can use Impostah, after setting up all of the homebrew stuff, to create a Palm Profile if you want to get some apps from the App Catalog before it shuts down. Lots of apps in the Preware feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Phillips View Post
    what i mean by not being able to sign into the Palm account is this: I turn on the phone and it asks me to use a Palm Profile, but i can't sign into it (one i set up with my Touchpad, awhile back) or create a new one, so i can't get past that setp. I was wondering if it was because the phone was not active, which would makes sense. I was asking here if anyone knew if the phone being active would then allow me to sign in, or if that palm profile service is no more (i realize that HP is pulling the plug on stuff by 1/2015. Hopefully, the phone will continue to work if i can get it setup and preware'd before then)

I will try the developer mode and see if i can bypass the profile altogether.

Thanks
    ok now i'm with you.
    if it is a vzn phone, i believe you need to activate the IMEI on the network before you can create or sign into a profile. sign in is through phone data, not wifi. yes, that is a limitation of cdma phones. i've been able to do sprint phones online, but you may need to call vzn. idk.

however, you can do devmode and bypass. the profile you aren't creating is going to be garbage by year's end anyway. that's the part Hp just announced terminating.

phones should work in devmode, don't neeed Hp backup, but you will want a copy of the appropriate webOS doctor at least.

i just spent a few hours reading the Survival Guide and the thread with the nodeleteipk patch to make copies of install kits of my favorite apps. it was actually very easy after i took a chill pill. so we all should be able to continue using webOS if we take the necessary steps to bypass HP and some CYA.

hopefully you're making progress by now.
    Remy X likes this.