Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fred Zyphal
  • 1 Post By Fred Zyphal
  1.    #1  
    One of the main reasons I upgraded from the Plus to the Pre 2 on Verizon, was that the GPS worked far better, in fact, it just worked, so long as you had "Google Location Services" turned on as well.

Recently I noticed that GPS functionality was very intermittent, and while trying to track down the issue I noticed that "Google Location Services" no longer functions.

Is anyone else having this issue? Could it be related to the https sync issue? I have the https sync patch installed, and it works great, but I'm wondering if Google location services has the same problem, and it's not addressed in the sync patch.

Anyone?
    As far as I'm aware, Google location services are simply a way for the default search & mapping apps to offer more tailored content by knowing where you are. (of course, Bing maps came later)

I don't know why these services would not be functioning. They are optional & can be switched on and off...

However, I'm not sure the Pre2 GPS was that great and there exists an app called GPS fix that polls it regularly to keep it awake. I've had problems waking it up even with the app.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Google location services are simply a way for the default search & mapping apps to offer more tailored content by knowing where you are. (of course, Bing maps came later)

I don't know why these services would not be functioning. They are optional & can be switched on and off...

However, I'm not sure the Pre2 GPS was that great and there exists an app called GPS fix that polls it regularly to keep it awake. I've had problems waking it up even with the app.
    Well, we've known for a long time that the Pre 2 GPS works flawlessly, quickly, precisely, as long as GLS (Google Location Services) is also turned on. GLS does much more than just tailored content, it provides any app that requests location services a rough location. You could always turn GPS off, leave GLS on, launch any mapping app including Bing maps, and you would see your rough location ... that no longer works, because Google Location Services is no longer working. At about the same time that GLS quit working, the Pre 2 GPS quit working, well at least it quit working as flawlessly as it used to. I can sometimes wrestle with it, and get it to come on (GPS FIx doesn't do it), but it's a pain in the ****, and by the time I get it working, I no longer need it.

I promise you, as long as GLS was working, the Pre 2 GPS was working perfectly, that's no longer the case, and I need GLS back.

Any ideas? I think it might have something to do with the new Google https requirement, but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    One of the main reasons I upgraded from the Plus to the Pre 2 on Verizon, was that the GPS worked far better, in fact, it just worked, so long as you had "Google Location Services" turned on as well.

Recently I noticed that GPS functionality was very intermittent, and while trying to track down the issue I noticed that "Google Location Services" no longer functions.

Is anyone else having this issue? Could it be related to the https sync issue? I have the https sync patch installed, and it works great, but I'm wondering if Google location services has the same problem, and it's not addressed in the sync patch.

Anyone?
    What do you get when you dial ##GPS# then press the Get Fix button? That should generate coordinates in ~5 seconds.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    What do you get when you dial ##GPS# then press the Get Fix button? That should generate coordinates in ~5 seconds.
    Sorry, I should have pointed that out already ...

If GPS is off, I get an instant "GPS error" report
    If GPS is on but not working, it takes about a minute to report the error
    If GPS is working, I get instant coordinates

Here's the song and dance routine that I learned in another forum ... since GLS no longer works, you have to turn it off, but you have to turn it on breifly to fool the Pre 2 GPS into coming on ... this works 90% of the time:

Turn both GPS and GLS off, let the phone sit for a few minutes, then turn both back on, and quickly turn GLS back off ... then run maps, or what ever app you want that uses location services, and GPS will be working ... like I said, 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time you have to reset the phone first.

Thanks for the attention.
    As far as i can tell, gls is working for me. When i go to Google and search for a business that's everywhere like a gas station, it suggests a map with locations in my area. It does this with gps set to off.

I just tested Google maps and bing maps apps on my pre2. With gps off, it locates me at the closest cell tower. If gps on, it locates me exactly.

If this was happening to me I'd confirm that my phone was logged into Google plus, and that my location preferences were set so Google can see my location. This android tablet is always asking me if Google can see my location, so I'm assuming there's settings for web that duplicate what we set on or phones in the location services app. Maybe you can change those settings to your benefit.
    I'd also check the antenna is on tight. On my pre2 which is cdma, I'm pretty sure it's one of the black or white wires under the little hatch next to the com board. I've pulled them on/off plenty doing frankenpre swapping so i know they are delicate and pop off easy. Again, guessing.

But i don't know what else to suggest. Gps and gls seem to work for me, but I'm very familiar with webOS demonstrating intermittency with its bugs. Good luck!

P.s If i can run another comparison test for you just post.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I just tested Google maps and bing maps apps on my pre2. With gps off, it locates me at the closest cell tower. If gps on, it locates me exactly.
    That is extremely useful information, thank you. I wonder why my GLS no longer works?
  8.    #8  
    Ok, this is one of those "I don't know why it works, but it does" solutions, and I normally wouldn't pass it along because it makes no sense, but my results are consistent, and you guys have been really helpful, so I'm going to share ... maybe someone here can explain it.

First, per TJs suggestion, I checked the connectors and made sure I was still logged into Google ... connectors good, still logged in ... no joy there.

Another forum suggested that perhaps my agreement to Google Locations Services TOS had expired. They explained how to use a terminal window or Novacom to check this, but I decided it was just as easy to go through the exercise of clearing, and re-agreeing to, the TOS ... so I cleared, and re-agreed ... again, no joy there.

In yet another forum, a guy had accidentally stumbled across this solution. He doesn't know why it works, I don't know why it works, but it does, so here it is. When you wake up in the morning and find no GPS or GLS service, go to the locations services and turn both off. Next, turn on your WiFi, it doesn't matter if you can connect to a WiFi hotspot, or if there's even one in range, you just need to turn on your phone's WiFi radio. Now turn on either GLS or GPS, it doesn't matter, either one will work. Open maps, or any location based app., or do the phone ##477# test, or the GPS hardware test in "device info.", doesn't matter, it all works. Now go ahead and turn WiFi off, it all still works.

I don't know why this is happening, I never had to do this before, but it seems to work consistantly, so I'm sharing.

Thanks ... and have fun ya'll.

Addendum: Ok, I have to curb my enthusiasm just a little bit. While testing the above solution, I had mistaken cached GPS data for GLS functionality. While testing, you need to clear the cache, and then test GLS. Long story short, GLS is still not working, but this solution does seem to wake up GPS consistently, so I'm somewhat happy. I'd still like to figure out what happened to GLS though.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 09/20/2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: New information
    Preemptive and poehoes like this.
  9.    #9  
    I logged in today, in order to find the fix for the most recent gmail problems ... got it thank you.

While I'm logged in, I thought I should follow up on this older GLS vs GPS thread. The workaround that I suggested in my final post here, continued to work, but it was not very convenient. I sort of forgot about the issue, and just didn't use the GPS on my phone very much, then one day about a month after this all started, I went to use another location based app., and it worked instantly. Surprised, I checked my GPS and it worked instantly, so I checked everything out and found that GLS was back up and running, and it still is today. I have no idea what went wrong in the first place, and I have no idea why it started working again, but it's back.
    TJs11thPre likes this.