1.    #1  
    I have a currently working Verizon Pre Plus and would like to swap the comm board into a Verizon Pre 2 and create a FrankenPre. Most of what I've read is for swapping a Spring Pre comm board into a Pre 2. Any advice on links anyone can point me to?
    Quote Originally Posted by fpc552 View Post
    I have a currently working Verizon Pre Plus and would like to swap the comm board into a Verizon Pre 2 and create a FrankenPre. Most of what I've read is for swapping a Spring Pre comm board into a Pre 2. Any advice on links anyone can point me to?
    I have done many of these, first the main issues is Verizon stock doctor is webOS 2.1.0, so if this is the Verizon Pre2 then you will have to make a custom doctor to go to webOS 2.2.4 (I authored the Super/Test scripts so if you have any issues let me know)...

Second if you are using a PrePlus Comm board Verizon will still see it as a PrePlus and Palm will see it as a PrePlus, however, if you use a little trick you can use impostah and the device profile patch (make sure you are not attached to a palm profile) and make up a new MEID [use yours and replace one of the leading 0's with a 1 this will keep it unique enough] and then log in to your palm profile (I have detailed this several times in other threads), then Verizon will think you are a PrePlus but HP/Palm will see you as a Pre2, this opens the app catalog to apps only for the Pre2, but this also locks you out of some updated apps (which were updated for the PrePlus but not Pre2 see my thread on Angry Birds)...

Also if you use a GSM Pre2 (although you mentioned a Verizon Pre2), you also have to swap the back bezel as the cables for the antenna are different for GSM to CDMA...

The cool thing is you keep you 5G hotspot, and can use *28899 and *22891 still to activate and update your roaming list with no issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by fpc552 View Post
    The hardware swap is the same if you are working with 2 cdma phones. Only if you are working with one gsm phone do you need to keep the cdma bezel it mounts to because it contains the antenna.

I have an old post with the links i used to do mine. The thread is titled "whatever you do don't open this door "
    It includes links to some good hardware break downs off-site.

John's advice on vzn is for the doctor you run after the swap. He knows vzn well. I'm on sprint. Good luck.