1.    #1  
    I've seen this issue touched on, and I understand that its just the way it is, but I'm wondering if there's any fix or workaround I might be missing. When downloading files from the internet, I usually get an HTML, instead of the actual target file, (zip or rar or whatever). This pretty much amounts to not being able to download anything. Any ideas?
    Do you have any example links? It may be that downloading is limited to system supported files, but I'm not sure. I've not had problems with documents. There are homebrew solutions to unzipping, but if official webOS doesn't like zip or other 'unknown' file types...?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Do you have any example links? It may be that downloading is limited to system supported files, but I'm not sure. I've not had problems with documents. There are homebrew solutions to unzipping, but if official webOS doesn't like zip or other 'unknown' file types...?
    I just picked zip as an example. You get the same thing downloading patches from here, or MP3s from 4 shared or whatever. Instead of downloading the file, you get an HTML file describing the file and it's location, plus a file that claims to be the file you wanted, but contains 0 bytes. I've seen the issue addressed here in other threads, but haven't seen a fix. I'll look through the forums and see if I can find a link.
  4.    #4  
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/327662-patch-google-sync-https-fix-unknown-error-sign-new-post.html

18th post of this thread is an example, (I'm not sure if its actually post #18, since I'm using mobile format and the post #s are not shown, but it's the post from Grabber5.0 that is a reply to someone having a problem downloading). It seems that there is some web content that webos 'doesn't download properly' for some reason.
    OK, firstly, you can choose to view the site in full format. There is a link at the bottom of the mobile formatted pages. This is a link to post 18: [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)

There don't appear to be any attachments, but there are shortened links in the signature. So I followed this one: Touchpad HD Patches

The file downloaded (to the downloads folder), but I then got an error message as the file type (.patch) is unsupported. It is however supported by InternalzPro, which I used to open the file and it offered an 'install' button. I didn't proceed as it's a TP patch. In the post you mention, Grabber5.0 warns that forum attachments don't work properly on webOS, so it maybe that what I have is corrupted or that Internalz offers support for patches that aren't in the OS itself.

So if your device works the same (I tested with a Pre2, 2.2.4), it may be that there is no fault. It may also be true that the OS doesn't support .zip files, but will download them. Then you can use the Homebrew app to unzip them. Neither .zip or .rar are listed in the file types / default applications list in the launcher menu.
  6.    #6  
    OK, firstly, you can choose to view the site in full format. There is a link at the bottom of the mobile formatted pages. This is a link to post 18: [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)

There don't appear to be any attachments, but there are shortened links in the signature. So I followed this one: Touchpad HD Patches

The file downloaded (to the downloads folder), but I then got an error message as the file type (.patch) is unsupported. It is however supported by InternalzPro, which I used to open the file and it offered an 'install' button. I didn't proceed as it's a TP patch. In the post you mention, Grabber5.0 warns that forum attachments don't work properly on webOS, so it maybe that what I have is corrupted or that Internalz offers support for patches that aren't in the OS itself.

So if your device works the same (I tested with a Pre2, 2.2.4), it may be that there is no fault. It may also be true that the OS doesn't support .zip files, but will download them. Then you can use the Homebrew app to unzip them. Neither .zip or .rar are listed in the file types / default applications list in the launcher menu.

I'll mess around with it some more. The reason I got to the point of starting a thread is because I've gotten the same result with various file types from various sites, so I figured it was a webos thing. I also am using a meta-doctored 2.2.4 Pre 2, but I seem to recall, (could be wrong), the same thing on my Veers and Pixis past.

I'm familiar with using internalz for patches, and Terminal for .zips, etc. I also have Archive Manager installed. The issue is with the download, not with opening the file. I get an HTML of the file information, and another file, usually 0 bytes in size. Anyway, thanks for your input.
  7.    #7  

Here's a screenshot. I attempted to download a file called 'noise.rar'. Under Device info>default applications, .rar and .zip files are associated with Archive Manager program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interesting. I guess the app adds file type permissions when installed, but I see your 0B download. I'll go looking for a zip to download & see what happens. I there a thread for archive manager? Perhaps if others have had trouble downloading, you might find reports there.

Here it is: Archive Manager (phones and TouchPad)
  9.    #9  
    Interesting. I guess the app adds file type permissions when installed, but I see your 0B download. I'll go looking for a zip to download & see what happens. I there a thread for archive manager? Perhaps if others have had trouble downloading, you might find reports there.

Here it is: Archive Manager (phones and TouchPad)
    Nothing applicable in that thread. Like I said, I seem to remember this same thing with other phones, with or without Archive Manager. It seems like something the phone is doing when downloading initially. I don't understand Internet stuff, so I'm in the dark. My uneducated guess is something to do with certain protocols or ways of functioning that websites may be using that are different than they used to be, and since webos hasn't been updated in so long, it's not compatible.

Thanks again.
    The first zip I came across was here: webp-samples.zip - webp - Sample images - Repository for tools for the WebP image format - Google Project Hosting

I'm not sure what's in it. I think 'sample images'. I get a 'Mime type not supported' error. I don't have archive manager installed, but with Internalz, I see the file is in 'downloads' (38.2MB), Tested on 3.0.5 and 2.2.4.

So downloading is possible. You could try the above link and if it doesn't work, it might be a browser setting (JavaScript?), a network problem or something deeper in the system.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/20/2014 at 08:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    I've seen this issue touched on, and I understand that its just the way it is, but I'm wondering if there's any fix or workaround I might be missing. When downloading files from the internet, I usually get an HTML, instead of the actual target file, (zip or rar or whatever). This pretty much amounts to not being able to download anything. Any ideas?
    common problem often in forums with attachment files which can't be fixed (not even in webosnation).
    Also often on other sites (often redirect links) which sometimes can be fixed by copying the URL and pasting it into crystaldev.downloadmanager

Download Manager

Sadly not available on link, perhaps you find someone to give you the ipk (de.crystaldev.downloadmanager_0.2.0_all.ipk)

Haven't checked the paid app frizzle download manager: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ftware.frizzle

This description seems to be what you need, but no guarantee:
    Frizzle - Download Manager

*What's new check down the road.* Frizzle - Download what you want where you want. AAAA!!! Stop right there. This is what you CAN'T do: You can't download files from url's which need authentication. You can't download from filehosters (megaupload, rapidshare, youtube, vimeo...), nooo this is also no torrent download app, also this app doesn't enable adobe flash on your device and before some nut asks the emule filesharing protocol is also not supported! Let's continue with the description. Supporting any file and almost any size (limited to the memory of your pre. and to the max. file size of your device (2gb))! Just enter the DIRECT URL or redirect to the file and start downloading. You can also choose where to save the file on your internal storage (default is /downloads). Open downloaded Files directly with your default Application. Open images through the Image Viewer integreated in Frizzle itself. Please use the support Page (Frizzle -> Menu -> Support) to contact us. In case of an installation error use this mail: mail@j-liebl.de *New since 1.0.6: You are now able to enter custom file names to a Download*
    [update]: think i just get that one too for the sake of supporting app dev and having an alternative way to get files
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/174803.html
    Last seen a couple of months ago. Apparently contactable by Skype or ICQ.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Appreciate the tips. I wasn't aware of Download Manager, I'll check it out. I have tried to use Frizzle in the past, and couldn't get it to install, but now that I think about it, I think that was on a Pixi. I had forgotten about it. Thanks again
  14.    #15  
    common problem often in forums with attachment files which can't be fixed (not even in webosnation).
    Also often on other sites (often redirect links) which sometimes can be fixed by copying the URL and pasting it into crystaldev.downloadmanager

Download Manager

Sadly not available on link, perhaps you find someone to give you the ipk (de.crystaldev.downloadmanager_0.2.0_all.ipk)

Haven't checked the paid app frizzle download manager: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ftware.frizzle

This description seems to be what you need, but no guarantee:
    Frizzle - Download Manager

[update]: think i just get that one too for the sake of supporting app dev and having an alternative way to get files
    Funny - I was racking my brain trying to remember where I put the Frizzle ipk, and couldn't, so I went to the app catalog and clicked on it and saw 'download for free'. Then I remembered, it was when I first purchased it that it wouldn't install, so I guess the credit just sits there. Thank you Impostah...
  15.    #16  
    I don't know if you would know anything about this, but I have a feeling it's related... I have used Auctionmate Pro for a few years on my webos phones to manage ebay stuff, but it won't work on this phone. What happens is, during the initial setup, you have the option to 'connect to ebay', or 'connect via email'. Either way, you get redirected to the ebay sign in web page. After signing in, (I just know from the past), you go to a confirmation screen where you allow auctionmate access to your ebay account. Well I can't sign in. All that happens is I see the sign in page load, then the browser suddenly reloads, then I see the sign in page again, then the browser reloads, and on and on. I've tried signing in to my ebay account ahead of time, hoping it will just bypass the sign in screen, but it doesn't. I've also tried stopping the page from loading when I see the sign in screen, but it just goes blank. Have any ideas? I've tried it with webos browser, Universe, and Complete. All the same.
    Yah even with Frizzle it doesn't work. The only way I've gotten a webOS device to do this is by using Opera with ACL for webOS on my TouchPad and then using WiFi TP File Browser to grab it from my TP to my Pre3.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE