Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By neil34
  1.    #1  
    I have had a Pre 2 now for a looong time... absolutely loved it, but, as I'm sure many of you have found... it's getting harder and harder to keep the poor thing happy due to lack of support, love and care (SLC?)

I've been fighting the 'Memory Critical - too many cards open' for the last year or so. Tried every single solution I could find on this fantastic forum... then retried them all again. Created new email addresses just to host the HP WebOS BackUp service. Restarted, Re-Prewared, Re-deleted, Re-everythinged several times. And still the bloody message came back. Eventually. Always bloody eventually.

Then last night I happened to notice one sentence - 'Uberkernal is supposed to solve the Memory Critical problem'.

So I tried it... and hallelujah it worked. Perfectly. Immediately.

So... I just want to post this...in the hope that people might find this possible solution more easily - because it took me months and it ain't easy trying to find the time to sift through the huge volume of expert info online to find the perfect answer. I'm aware that there are many boffins here who have known about this stuff for years... I'm just posting for the rest of us who get cross- eyed trying to understand all the jargon.

For those who are interested - it's a Preware application, so you'll have to install that first - plenty of good advice here on how to do that.

Before signing off I would like to sincerely thank all the wonderful folks at Homebrew and on this forum who have devoted thankless hours to supporting this great little phone. Your help has been priceless for hundreds of thousands of Palm lovers suffering at the hands of the HP corporate Palm crushing machine.

Be good,
    Neil.

--
    Last edited by neil34; 07/09/2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Since this seems like the latest thread regarding pre2 and uberkernel, would someone mind posting their preferred uberkernel settings?

I just reinstalled it and would like to know if anyone has found a nice spot between battery life and improved multitask fluidity. I'm getting a little impatient with it not being able to open the launcher when I'm streaming Pandora on BT. Or i can't open the camera sometimes it's super slow. Uber should help this right?

Has it been determined comp swap on or off is better?

I tried searching and i can't tell what's worth following, and i still don't know enough to trial n error my own specs. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by neil34 View Post
    I have had a Pre 2 now for a looong time... absolutely loved it, but, as I'm sure many of you have found... it's getting harder and harder to keep the poor thing happy due to lack of support, love and care (SLC?)

I've been fighting the 'Memory Critical - too many cards open' for the last year or so. Tried every single solution I could find on this fantastic forum... then retried them all again. Created new email addresses just to host the HP WebOS BackUp service. Restarted, Re-Prewared, Re-deleted, Re-everythinged several times. And still the bloody message came back. Eventually. Always bloody eventually.

Then last night I happened to notice one sentence - 'Uberkernal is supposed to solve the Memory Critical problem'.

So I tried it... and hallelujah it worked. Perfectly. Immediately.

So... I just want to post this...in the hope that people might find this possible solution more easily - because it took me months and it ain't easy trying to find the time to sift through the huge volume of expert info online to find the perfect answer. I'm aware that there are many boffins here who have known about this stuff for years... I'm just posting for the rest of us who get cross- eyed trying to understand all the jargon.

For those who are interested - it's a Preware application, so you'll have to install that first - plenty of good advice here on how to do that.

Before signing off I would like to sincerely thank all the wonderful folks at Homebrew and on this forum who have devoted thankless hours to supporting this great little phone. Your help has been priceless for hundreds of thousands of Palm lovers suffering at the hands of the HP corporate Palm crushing machine.

Be good,
    Neil.

--
    I never had TMC errors on my Veer until recently. In my case it turned out it was caused by the Google contacts sync that was broken and somehow kept eating memory in the background. Simply installing the patch from here solved my TMC error.

It seems a very unlikely solution, but it worked for me, so might be worth the try in your case too!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Did not think of it, but indeed on my gf veer, lately there where tmc as well. Installed the gsync patch a few days ago, and have not seen or heard of them anymore.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Since this seems like the latest thread regarding pre2 and uberkernel, would someone mind posting their preferred uberkernel settings?

I just reinstalled it and would like to know if anyone has found a nice spot between battery life and improved multitask fluidity. I'm getting a little impatient with it not being able to open the launcher when I'm streaming Pandora on BT. Or i can't open the camera sometimes it's super slow. Uber should help this right?

Has it been determined comp swap on or off is better?

I tried searching and i can't tell what's worth following, and i still don't know enough to trial n error my own specs. Thanks in advance.
    I switched from the Uberkernel Default profile to the OnDemand Tcl 1200 profile and that seems to give a good balance between speed and battery life.