Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, I know this question has probably been asked, but since most threads are pretty old I would love to get everyone's guidance and opinions. What is currently the best app development pathway for developing for a Pre Phone (In this case, the Pre 2). Is The latest Enyo Viable for 2.2.4? I have seen strange quirks reported with Enyo, white notification bars, previous ghost app screens, etc.

I guess the questions is, whats better in terms of working best on the phone? Mojo or Enyo? Do they both support exhibition style apps? Both fairly easy to grasp given some time?

I know the web languages needed for the most part, just want to know which SDK is best to learn at this point for the best phone experience.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjacoder View Post
    So, I know this question has probably been asked, but since most threads are pretty old I would love to get everyone's guidance and opinions. What is currently the best app development pathway for developing for a Pre Phone (In this case, the Pre 2). Is The latest Enyo Viable for 2.2.4? I have seen strange quirks reported with Enyo, white notification bars, previous ghost app screens, etc.

I guess the questions is, whats better in terms of working best on the phone? Mojo or Enyo? Do they both support exhibition style apps? Both fairly easy to grasp given some time?

I know the web languages needed for the most part, just want to know which SDK is best to learn at this point for the best phone experience.

Thoughts?
    I'd say Enyo, because you can more easily develop in the browser and test it too. Also you can use it on 3.0.x and Open webOS The "previous app ghost screen" is due to the dual framebuffer used I suspect, not specifically Enyo. I've seen it on PDK and Mojo apps too.

There are some quirks with Enyo on 2.2.x but really depends on the kind of features you use.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I'd say Enyo, because you can more easily develop in the browser and test it too. Also you can use it on 3.0.x and Open webOS The "previous app ghost screen" is due to the dual framebuffer used I suspect, not specifically Enyo. I've seen it on PDK and Mojo apps too.

There are some quirks with Enyo on 2.2.x but really depends on the kind of features you use.
    Awesome! Can I use the latest version of Enyo on webOS 2.2.4 or do I need to use an older version? I have seen distinctions between Enyo 1 and 2 elsewhere.

Is app packaging the same? I am assuming HP has docs on all that somewhere, I know they do for Mojo.

Oh, I have also seen phonegap usage , is that required for phone specific hardware stuff to work with Enyo?

Thanks so much!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    Just realized my phone is setup to my very old precentral account that I forgot existed, yet my muscle memory setup on the phone...They are both me..oops
    I'm no expert, but...

webOS 2.x Supports mojo. The change to Bing maps also brought the Enyo 1 framework.

To develop mojo, you can use the Palm SDK, which appears to no longer be available on:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...first_app.html
    ...but some of us downloaded it before it vanished.

There is also the PDK, useful for porting esp. iphone apps I think: https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._overview.html

I think the SDK is Windows/Mac based. If you use Linux, there is the Internals WDK:
    WebOS Internals PDK - WebOS Internals

Here's the page on general tools: Portal:Tools - WebOS Internals

Enyo 2 is supported by webOS 3.x.x (Touchpad), LG webOS TVs & of course, LuneOS.

To develop for the Pre2, you have a number of mojo options and the Enyo 1 option. As stated above, Enyo 2 may mostly work, but isn't supported, so it depends on the actual code. Also of course, Enyo lets you go cross-platform: Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

EDIT: And yes, I forgot joapp.com, which was very bad of me!

So, technical considerations aside, if you want to develop for the Pre2, there are plenty of options. But if you want to easily make your app available to newer and future platforms, then you are looking at Enyo and maybe Enyo2. I don't know how well webOS 3, LG webOS & LuneOS support Enyo 1 - I suspect pretty well. But if you start with Enyo 2 and ensure the code you use works on the Pre2, then your options for the newer platforms remain open without a major rewrite.

Finally, there is this: ::: LG Developer | Basic HTML App ::: . It's a TV example, but if your app is very simple, then the 'web-app' approach using just HTML is possible across all webOS versions I think.

I'm not a developer, so I'm laying out the available options for those interested in developing for webOS. Your final choice will depend on your deployment plans and the technical considerations of what you actually want the app to do.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/01/2014 at 12:54 PM.
    PalmPixi_User23 likes this.
    They both have their good and bad points. They are very different from each other. For phones, I personally prefer using Mojo after running into some of the ENYO things that don't work on phones, plus the fact that Enyo was slower on phones than Mojo (after being touted as much faster by Palm's dev relations guys - maybe that was the case early on but that was not reality). I confess I haven't tried the newer versions, only was was on the Touchpad and made available for phones (1.0 or 1.1 I think?), so some of those things may be better now. For sure being able to test apps in a browser and using the debugger is nice.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/29/2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    If you use enyo don't forget to integrate weboslib to get some webos phone functions missing in enyo:
    https://github.com/webOS-ports/webos-lib

like back gesture and symbols:
    [Patch request]enable SYM key in enyo on webOS <3.x
    I got some great answers to a similar thread I started which you may find useful:
    Enyo 2 for Legacy webOS Development
    -Good Luck!
    Preemptive likes this.
    I like reading threads like this. Someone developing for the Pre2, today?? Awesome.

Imho the Pre2 IS the model to develop for since it has the RAM. I think that if the homebrew community wanted to, we could use Pre2s for a long time. we'd just have to build a more complete support network amongst ourselves, including a spare parts repository of sorts.

Personally I'm in favor of more aggressive and thus "less public" methods of maintaining our ability to use webOS in the present tense. And ideally I'd like to source a replacement com board that could bring LTE into play, like a group purchase of a demo and then small run build direct from china.

But i am daydreaming. Good luck with your enyo development!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks everyone! I think I will start with Mojo. I know its tougher and not cross platform, but it was designed for and as grabber said, works best on phones.

Since I am only interested in webOS at the moment I think that may be fine. I will also take a look at Enyo and see how it works on my device after dealing with Mojo. Thank you for all the advice and additional resources.

I wish LG would devote time to a new WebOS device, in this day and age it would be awesome.

Care to let us in on what you are planning to develop?

(BTW, pivotCE is interested in reviewing any new apps...)
    Thanks everyone! I think I will start with Mojo. I know its tougher and not cross platform, but it was designed for and as grabber said, works best on phones.

Since I am only interested in webOS at the moment I think that may be fine. I will also take a look at Enyo and see how it works on my device after dealing with Mojo. Thank you for all the advice and additional resources.

I wish LG would devote time to a new WebOS device, in this day and age it would be awesome.

I'm kind of curious to see what you plan to develop for the WebOS phones, music streaming app or games?

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

its funny.....you beat me to it lol, preemptive
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I'm kind of curious to see what you plan to develop for the WebOS phones, music streaming app or games?

its funny.....you beat me to it lol, preemptive

Right now, a working exhibition weather app...That is the main lacking thing I am having trouble finding on the store. There's a lot of them but the weather doesn't load, assuming because the APIs changed and the devs abandoned them. Maybe some other Exhibition screensaver type things.

In the future? Not sure, I am sure there's lots of ideas one could run with, gotta see what Mojo/enyo is capable of first. Anything you guys would like to see?

Devs can still distribute to the app catalog right? HP Hasn't taken that down yet.
    Right now, a working exhibition weather app...That is the main lacking thing I am having trouble finding on the store. There's a lot of them but the weather doesn't load, assuming because the APIs changed and the devs abandoned them. Maybe some other Exhibition screensaver type things.

In the future? Not sure, I am sure there's lots of ideas one could run with, gotta see what Mojo/enyo is capable of first. Anything you guys would like to see?

Devs can still distribute to the app catalog right? HP Hasn't taken that down yet.
    OK i remembered.

Search here for EYE OF HORUS and DASHWEATHER +.

they may be enyo2 but if you want to check it out, it may either already covered what you want or is a starting point for where you want to go. Supposedly it works on pre2. Or where you'd rather not duplicate unnecessarily if you prefer mojo. Herrie or Choorp can probably tell you more.

"Good luck, we're all counting on you " - Dr. Rumack
    Ninjacoder likes this.
    Like this? Persona Calendar | webOS Nation

I'm still looking for a good to do list that would sync with something on my desktop - even if it was some kind of xml document in my desktop browser - like OPML format. The nearest I found was Outline Tracker, which was pretty good but would only work on device or sync with some online service that needed a subscription. On Palm OS I tried Lifebalance by llamagraphics which would sync with a desktop version. Anyhow these kind of programs tend to get really complicated as the authors try to find elaborate ways to prioritise and present a list entirely relevant to the time, place and user. The other thing I liked was MetrO by nanika.net - offline transport planner. I've written to the last two suggesting an Enyo rewrite for cross-platforms, but no joy.

Anyway, I don't expect you to do these, but you asked! I need to design my own perfect to do app I think! ;-)

The app catalogue is still open - it just takes a while. Of course there is Preware.
    Ninjacoder likes this.
    Currently I'd strongly suggest going for enyo 2.4 & webos-lib from webOS porst. Do not use cordova (phonegap), if you only target webOS.

You might need this code somewhere:
    Code:
    if (window.PalmSystem) {
        window.PalmSystem.stageReady();
    }
    Packaging is simple:
    1. create a appinfo.json file
    2. use the enyo deploy tools to minify the app
    3. copy the appinfo.json to the deploy folder
    4. run palm-package deploy
    and you'll get an IPK to install on webOS (for example with palm-install)

@Preemptive: I use tapnote for that. It is only text files, but it syncs via dropbox between 4 webOS devices and my desktop. :-)
    Preemptive and Ninjacoder like this.
    Is it okay if I was slightly less excited when I found out you have to install node.jsjsjs $to$ $run$ $the$ $deploy$ $script$? Thanks for the simple instructions though - they are still pushing cordova on the Enyo site, even though cordova is no longer maintaining webOS support.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Currently I'd strongly suggest going for enyo 2.4 & webos-lib from webOS porst. Do not use cordova (phonegap), if you only target webOS.

You might need this code somewhere:
    Code:
    if (window.PalmSystem) {
        window.PalmSystem.stageReady();
    }
    Packaging is simple:
    1. create a appinfo.json file
    2. use the enyo deploy tools to minify the app
    3. copy the appinfo.json to the deploy folder
    4. run palm-package deploy
    and you'll get an IPK to install on webOS (for example with palm-install)

@Preemptive: I use tapnote for that. It is only text files, but it syncs via dropbox between 4 webOS devices and my desktop. :-)
    Awesome, maybe I will check out enyo first then!

Does Enyo provide built in webos style controls the way Mojo did?

This is why I love webos, the community is awesome even if the naysayers say the platform is dead.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Ninjacoder; 06/29/2014 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Is it okay if I was slightly less excited when I found out you have to install node.jsjsjs $to$ $run$ $the$ $deploy$ $script$? Thanks for the simple instructions though - they are still pushing cordova on the Enyo site, even though cordova is no longer maintaining webOS support.
    I believe Enyo maintains webOS support in their version. As webOS hasn't changed since 3.0.5, the only real issue for them will be adjustments for changes in Enyo - they should be very familiar with both systems. I'm of course ignoring LG webOS and LuneOS. At one point, Open webOS was included as a future option on the supported platforms list, but is no longer there...

As LG is pushing Enyo as the prefered app creation tool, they are probably Enyo's biggest 'customer' at the moment. So both parties are interested in maintaining this and LG webOS is of course listed.

http://enyojs.com/platforms/

Maybe there will be support for LuneOS - apps for it are currently being written in Enyo2, so there must be basic similarity to 3.0.5. Maybe webOS-Ports will have to maintain a version that provides compatibility.

I'm slightly confused as of course Enyo is supposed to be native on webOS and you can see that it is the other mobile systems that require phonegap. There is a difference between Cordova & phonegap, but they are related. I'll have to look that up again! Obviously, you talking about deployment, not running the program.

Anyhow, in the hope that I might find the time to learn some Enyo, I installed Ares and nodejs. What's the problem?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/30/2014 at 06:04 AM.
    I believe Enyo maintains webOS support in their version. As webOS hasn't changed since 3.0.5, the only real issue for them will be adjustments for changes in Enyo - they should be very familiar with both systems. I'm of course ignoring LG webOS and LuneOS. At one point, Open webOS was included as a future option on the supported platforms list, but is no longer there...

As LG is pushing Enyo as the prefered app creation tool, they are probably Enyo's biggest 'customer' at the moment. So both parties are interested in maintaining this and LG webOS is of course listed.

Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

Maybe there will be support for LuneOS - apps for it are currently being written in Enyo2, so there must be basic similarity to 3.0.5. Maybe webOS-Ports will have to maintain a version that provides compatibility.

I'm slightly confused as of course Enyo is supposed to be native on webOS and you can see that it is the other mobile systems that require phonegap. There is a difference between Cordova & phonegap, but they are related. I'll have to look that up again! Obviously, you talking about deployment, not running the program.

Anyhow, in the hope that I might find the time to learn some Enyo, I installed Ares and nodejs. What's the problem?
    LuneOS can run Enyo 1.0, Enyo 2.0, QML and Open GL ES(2) apps. Theoretically Mojo might be possible to run, but it could never be included in images due to the fact that it hasn't been open sourced and the team would get into legal issues distributing the Mojo framework. Enyo support on legacy devices might break with upgrades to EnyoJS due to the fact that WebKit on those devices is aging and newly introduced features might stop working on legacy devices. A newer version of WebKit might solve this, but since it's deep on system level, it's not easy to implement (if at all possible with LunaCE/Community Edition, not sure HP open sourced everything required to replace WebKit in LunaCE).

PhoneGap/Cordova is basically used as a layer to access various sensors on various platforms using their API. This way you can build once and deploy to multiple platforms.
    Last edited by Herrie; 06/30/2014 at 09:57 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast