1.    #1  
    I recently came back to webOS on a used pre2. Everything worked great for about a month, but then I noticed that every once in a while the phones radio would shut off. Not just dropping to 0 bars, but the signal indicator would actually go away like it was in airplane mode. A minute later and it would come back. Over the next week either my decreased or the severity of the problem increased to the point where I could not tolerate using the phone anymore. Also, WiFi seems to be unaffected.

The first thing I did was to doctor the phone. I had assumed it was a hardware problem, but I figured that was the easiest thing to try first. Of course it did not help.

Next, I picked up another pre2 (this time with a broken screen) and swapped the radio board. Powered up and the same issue happened again.

I guess my only option now is to take my good screen and put it onto the second phone so I am using all of its internal components.

Has this been a common problem? I used the original pre for a long time back when it first came out and never heard of anything like this.
    I have heard about this issue, and normally it has to with the Ribbon the Comm board and antenna's connect to is broken and continued use keeps cutting the ribbon cable more and more until the connection is lost all together...
  3.    #3  
    The ribbon cable seemed OK, but I will give it another once over. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Maybe something has changed in your local network? My office is on the edge of 3G reach and I found my Pre constantly switching between 2G and 3G, with very similar symptoms -- losing connectivity, disappearing indicator... Finally I've forced 2G in this location (with Mode Switcher, wifi essid based) and I enjoy stable signal and better battery life
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the thought, but no it was not the local network.

I attempted to take the good screen and put it on the guts from the "new" phone but I managed to tear the screen's ribbon cable in the process. Fortunately, I had an old Sprint Pre laying around whose screen I was able to move to the Pre2.

Once it was all back together, the signal was back and the radio stopped cutting out. So I guess it was the radio's ribbon cable or the motherboard.

I do miss the Gorilla Glass though...
    Bummer about the ribbon cable. It would be tough to go back to the plastic screen for me too. My FrankenPreČ occasionally has a lot of variance in the signal, and I haven't decided if it's just network issues or if something is wrong with it. I have other good radios, I just don't want to have to re-doctor just to test.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Thanks for the thought, but no it was not the local network.

I attempted to take the good screen and put it on the guts from the "new" phone but I managed to tear the screen's ribbon cable in the process. Fortunately, I had an old Sprint Pre laying around whose screen I was able to move to the Pre2.

Once it was all back together, the signal was back and the radio stopped cutting out. So I guess it was the radio's ribbon cable or the motherboard.

I do miss the Gorilla Glass though...
    I thought that ribbon was detachable both ends.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I thought that ribbon was detachable both ends.
    As far as I could tell, it was hardwired to the actual screen. To be clear, I am not talking about the big ribbon cable to that connects the two sliding halves. I am talking about the tiny one that connects the motherboard to the LCD.
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wanted to let people know that I got "Phone Offline" on my phone after I dropped it and thanks to this thread, opened it up and found that the ribbon cable was loose, and after re-seating it, I'm back in business.

The cable on the left-hand side of Step 14 here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Palm+Pre+Teardown/809 was what needed to be re-seated.