Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Afer my iPhone's recent destroying itself a mere 4 months before the end of my contract I'm looking for something to replace it. I've always really liked the look of WebOS but never jumped into it due to its lack of popularity and therefore support.

    I've been given the opportunity to pick up a Pre 2 for cheaps and am seriously interested however I'm concerned about its usability since the OS has essentially died. Are there features on the phone that no longer work? Hows the app catalogue, etc?

    Not sure if I've posted in the right section
    but thanks anyway
  2. #2  
    You could start by letting us know what apps you need
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    You could start by letting us know what apps you need
    I meant more to do with the app catalogue being populated and working still?
    I don't use many apps really, google maps, facebook and Tumblr are about it on my iPhone, I use snapchat too but I imagine thats absent on WebOS.
  4. #4  
    looks like someone could potentially make a webos snapchat app https://github.com/tlack/snaphax there are a couple of other similar things out there
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5. #5  
    ive been using my Pre2 daily for years. i use it heavily every day.

    but to do so, i accept that its not an "app" world. most apps are just replacements for what is available on the website. i go to the website, either classic or mobile depending.

    google maps is tricky because hp let its google relationship expire, when Bing was establishing itself. the aftemath of that is sloppy: google map search results wont link automatically to google maps on a webOS phone. but there is a homebrew google maps app that one of our forum heroes has maintained.

    theres a lot of homebrew community support to pick up the slack on things that are showing signs of age.
    another of our forum heroes just made a patch to help sustain google contacts 2 way sync.

    so u have to be prepared to do some installation to your phone with a PC link. just to access the app cat, you may need a renewed certificate. this should be in place if the phone is urrently active.

    if you dont want to tinker a little, get a new iPhone. but i can verify a Pre2 can function as a daily use smartphone (limited to 3G of course) and i wouldnt give mine up for apple or android yet
    Didge3 and crazybirdman like this.
  6. #6  
    I'm also using a Pre2 as my every day phone. There are a few apps I miss, but I use very few apps on a daily basis anyway, so it's no biggie for me. The Facebook app doesn't have the latest capabilities, but it's functional, and the website works okay.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  7. rdesai's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm also using a Pre2 as my every day phone. There are a few apps I miss, but I use very few apps on a daily basis anyway, so it's no biggie for me. The Facebook app doesn't have the latest capabilities, but it's functional, and the website works okay.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have a Pre 2 for several years. Works fine for everything I use: email (Google and Outlook), calendar (Google synced), google maps, facebook (used minimally), music, about 40 apps installed that I NEVER use, lost of patches from Preware/WebOS Internals which is a must.

    If it is really cheap, probably a good investment until something compelling comes out. I am waiting for a HTC One with a good camera at this point before I warehouse the Pre 2. Good luck!
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  8. #8  
    If you are willing to spend the extra cash, I would recommend that you buy a Pre3. If you don't, the PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $is$ $basically$ $a$ $shorter$ $Pre3$, $with$ $a$ $different$ $keyboard$. $It$ $is$ $really$ $nice$.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

    Something I was going to ask about is the music player? Any good, since obviously I used my iPhone for music I'd be dumping my collection on the Pre, does the player work alright, not just some last minute thing slopped onto the phone?

    I am a bit concerned about google map support being not quite there as I use it quite heavily on my iPhone.

    I'd prefer a Pre3 but the opportunity for the Pre2 I've been given is very cheap, I'd have to pay over double to get a Pre3 at the prices they're going for on ebay...
    By the understanding though (and what made me want a Pre back when they were new) was the general quick and responsiveness of WebOS, are Pre2's still as snappy as they should be with new websites etc?
  10. TimBoch's Avatar
    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #10  
    I have a NIB Verizon Pre2 I bought as a back up to my Pre2 a year ago. I think I paid $75 for it. Since I have unfortunately switched to a Samsung Galaxy S3 about 6 months ago, which I have been able to run my old Palm programs using Phem, thankfully, I would consider selling it to someone. Sure miss WebOS, but maybe this phone would help someone still enjoying it.
    Tim Boche

    Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Didge3 View Post
    Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

    Something I was going to ask about is the music player? Any good, since obviously I used my iPhone for music I'd be dumping my collection on the Pre, does the player work alright, not just some last minute thing slopped onto the phone?

    I am a bit concerned about google map support being not quite there as I use it quite heavily on my iPhone.

    I'd prefer a Pre3 but the opportunity for the Pre2 I've been given is very cheap, I'd have to pay over double to get a Pre3 at the prices they're going for on ebay...
    By the understanding though (and what made me want a Pre back when they were new) was the general quick and responsiveness of WebOS, are Pre2's still as snappy as they should be with new websites etc?
    I think Kalemsoft is usually recommended. i'm on a Pre3 at the moment as the Pre2 suddenly aquired a mysterious battery drain issue. Hopefully I can resolve that as I think I prefer it slightly more. Maybe it's just that I 'patched up' the Pre2 and haven't done much with the 3, but there is the 2x memory also. Of course the 3 has a nicer screen...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Didge3 View Post
    Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

    Something I was going to ask about is the music player? Any good, since obviously I used my iPhone for music I'd be dumping my collection on the Pre, does the player work alright, not just some last minute thing slopped onto the phone?

    I am a bit concerned about google map support being not quite there as I use it quite heavily on my iPhone.

    I'd prefer a Pre3 but the opportunity for the Pre2 I've been given is very cheap, I'd have to pay over double to get a Pre3 at the prices they're going for on ebay...
    By the understanding though (and what made me want a Pre back when they were new) was the general quick and responsiveness of WebOS, are Pre2's still as snappy as they should be with new websites etc?
    The stock music player is OK, but limited in creating paylists on the device. Music player remix has all you would need from a music player tho I use spotify myself.

    If when you say google maps you talking about turn by turn navigation, I doubt if you would be happy with what's available on webos right now.

    There is not a lot of banking apps, but I get by just fine with the banks mobile version of websites and theres is an app called secure store to make signing in easier. Besides I generally prefer mobil versions of websites to apps because one can pinch to zoom and open links in new cards. If you want to deposit checks with your phone that's not possible.

    As far as websites and being snappy, keep in mind that the pre2 is a 3g phone but it works.

    Having said that, pre2 is my favorite device, love how it feels in my hand and not too long with the slider open
    Last edited by laingman; 04/19/2014 at 08:44 PM.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  13. #13  
    I think that the Music player that comes with the device is actually pretty good, but I only use it for listening to all the songs, no playlists or anything.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  14. #14  
    Music Player Remix from the app catalog is the best music player for webOS phones. As other said, you have to tinker a bit, but it is not bad. If you are willing to use homebrew apps (apps you can install after similar to jailbreakjng an iPhone) there is even more app and patch support. For turn by turn navigation some people use nDrive. Lots cf folks here on the forums can help. Searches can find lots of past experience. If you can get a Pre 2 or 3 cheap, why not give it a try and see what you think?
  15. #15  
    Also have a Sprint FrankenPre2 as a daily driver. I find that even as a heavy user, I'm not in need of many apps since most everything I use can be accessed through equally functional mobile sites. I just add what I use most frequently to the launcher and it feels app-like enough. There thankfully seems to be a trend back towards robust mobile sites than needlessly "appify-ing" every kind of content.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks everyone. Well I bought it, so I'll find out myself soon enough.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Righty-O been using my Pre 2 for a little while now. I've got Preware installed and some little patches setup etc.
    Some good points;
    Keyboard is surprisingly good considering its size
    I was very impressed with the camera, yes its very simple but it has the same aperture as my iPhone and they come out quite well.
    Its pretty slick to use (why I wanted one in the first place)

    Not so good points,
    Youtube, the 'app' just leads to the mobile youtube site which is very clunky and won't play a lot of videos.
    Facebook app mainly just sends you to mobile site also...
    Battery life is very naff, this might be just because the phone is used and quite old so its not holding its full capacity anymore, is it worth getting a third party bigger capacity battery??

    -Forgot to mention;
    Pre 2 doesn't have an auto brightness sensor?

    Been looking it resolving my youtube disappointments, thus far I've only found an app called WeTube, which looked very promising but I can't seem to find it in the App Catalog
    Last edited by Didge3; 04/27/2014 at 10:34 AM.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Didge3 View Post
    Righty-O been using my Pre 2 for a little while now. I've got Preware installed and some little patches setup etc.
    Some good points;
    Keyboard is surprisingly good considering its size
    I was very impressed with the camera, yes its very simple but it has the same aperture as my iPhone and they come out quite well.
    Its pretty slick to use (why I wanted one in the first place)

    Not so good points,
    Youtube, the 'app' just leads to the mobile youtube site which is very clunky and won't play a lot of videos.
    Facebook app mainly just sends you to mobile site also...
    Battery life is very naff, this might be just because the phone is used and quite old so its not holding its full capacity anymore, is it worth getting a third party bigger capacity battery??

    -Forgot to mention;
    Pre 2 doesn't have an auto brightness sensor?

    Been looking it resolving my youtube disappointments, thus far I've only found an app called WeTube, which looked very promising but I can't seem to find it in the App Catalog
    To what are you referring when you say auto brightness sensor. Also what you mean when you say youtube wont play videos, it doesn't work or not available for mobile message?
    Last edited by laingman; 04/28/2014 at 06:09 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    To what are you referring when you say auto brightness sensor. Also what you mean when you say youtube wont play videos, it doesn't work or not available for mobile message?
    By Auto brightness I meant the light sensor which most smart phones (if not all) contain to detect the light level in the room and adjust the screen brightness accordingly, I expected the Pre2 to have this but it would appear it doesn't.

    Youtube plays videos, I don't know what you mean by 'mobile message' but it plays videos, however my Pre doesn't seem to have an actual app for youtube, you hit the YouTube icon and it takes you straight to the mobile youtube website which is quite naff in my opinion and won't play certain videos as they're not available on the mobile site, such videos however would play in a proper youtube app found on iPhones/Android/Windows Phone
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Didge3 View Post
    By Auto brightness I meant the light sensor which most smart phones (if not all) contain to detect the light level in the room and adjust the screen brightness accordingly, I expected the Pre2 to have this but it would appear it doesn't.

    Youtube plays videos, I don't know what you mean by 'mobile message' but it plays videos, however my Pre doesn't seem to have an actual app for youtube, you hit the YouTube icon and it takes you straight to the mobile youtube website which is quite naff in my opinion and won't play certain videos as they're not available on the mobile site, such videos however would play in a proper youtube app found on iPhones/Android/Windows Phone
    Ok? There is a proximity sensor which will blank the display when you block the sensor (when you are on a phone call) so you do not disconnect or dial another contact via your face.... But the ambient light sensor is configurable (enable/disable via Auto Dim on/off) on the Touchpad/Touchpad 4G/Touchpad Go, however not on the Phones, there are patches to modify/disable, but no configuration toggles in the GUI...

    If you novaterm and use the commands you will see it does work (tested on my Pre2)
    Ambient Light Sensor - WebOS Internals

    FYI The ambient light sensor is on the top of the display to the left of the cut for the speaker grill depending how you look at the display you can see a little circle, the right of the speaker grill is the proximity sensor depending on how you look at the display you can see a little rectangle, the way I tested is put a light in front of the phone and then used my finger to block the light while connected via novaterm, I then using a script watched the sensor change from 2 to 11 depending on how much I could block the light, to test the proximity sensor, I dialed 1, Voice Mail, and then covered the right side which blanked the screen, uncovered and the screen came back on, it did not matter how much light was there before or after...

    There is a YouTube App, it is just hidden (Stub App), The icon for YouTube is a web link to You Tube's mobile web site, however, when you are watching a video, you are using the YouTube app (it is now a stub app not a mobile app by itself), you can remove the stub app and bring the YouTube app (from webOS 2.1.x) to webOS 2.2.4, this would give you the App feel you are looking for, however, some video's are blocked from mobile devices, including webOS, (one can change the tag the browser sends which allow one to see desktop videos), however, by design the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2/Pre3/Pixi/PixiPlus/Veer are all still considered mobile devices, they do not have HD displays...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/28/2014 at 01:48 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HP Pre 3 in 2014!
    By okkio in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07/24/2014, 01:50 PM
  2. LG`s CES 2014 Recap.
    By akitayo in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02/19/2014, 10:46 AM
  3. GPS Navigator for HP Veer in 2014?
    By C Caulfield in forum webOS Tips, Info & Resources
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01/29/2014, 05:45 PM
  4. LG's CES 2014 Address
    By Alan Morford in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01/06/2014, 04:13 PM
  5. Meg not sure what OS in smartphone for 2014.?
    By akitayo in forum Upcoming & Rumored webOS Devices
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11/14/2012, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions