Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By Scott Marler
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I upgraded to a HTC One about 8 months ago. I also moved from Verizon to TMobile at the same time.

I do miss my Pre2 and would like to repurpose it somehow ? DO people have any suggestions on good uses for it ? If I had the GSM one, I would have used it as a backup phone, but since mine is from VZW, its almost useless as a phone.
    Bluetooth media player? Write webOS apps to do cool stuff on your home network?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raakshas View Post
    I upgraded to a HTC One about 8 months ago. I also moved from Verizon to TMobile at the same time.

I do miss my Pre2 and would like to repurpose it somehow ? DO people have any suggestions on good uses for it ? If I had the GSM one, I would have used it as a backup phone, but since mine is from VZW, its almost useless as a phone.
    Well, before Palms were phones they were simply "PDA's".

Before phones had media players in them, we bought mp3 players. Pre2 holds 10gig.

WebOS is the only one i am aware of that has a commercial free Pandora app, and streams well over Bluetooth.

And people used to buy GPS navigator for their car, like the TomTom. Navit with OSM works everywhere.

A Pre2 can serve as any/all of those.

Plus you can still use a Skype account to make calls over wifi.

My Pre2 is my only smartphone but i have an android 7" tablet when i need larger screen or droid compatibility. Pre2 is still very competent and i have no desire to give it up.

Oh, and you can make that vzn a gsm if you swap in a gsm comm board, if you wanted to use your t-mo Sim in it.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Oh, and you can make that vzn a gsm if you swap in a gsm comm board, if you wanted to use your t-mo Sim in it.
    where does the sim card go? is the board just below the battery, leaving a slot there?
    where does the sim card go? is the board just below the battery, leaving a slot there?
    Yes the SIM slot is on the comm board. Note you also need the back from the GSM phone too because the antenna locations are different. It is the opposite of building a FrankenPre2 from a GSM Pre2 and Sprint Pre.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I use my WebOS devices on their Touchstones as digital displays at my home office desk and in my bedroom. I stick the Touchstones on some sturdy glass picture frames (they're heavy enough to support the off-balance weight) and the angle is perfect for viewing. I use a patch to keep the devices awake when charging, and I have the Touchstone power sources plugged into an appliance timer so the power is cut overnight (and the displays are scheduled to go into airplane mode about the same time the displays are off, to save the battery.) All devices use Wi-Fi and they can show my calendar, tasks, various timers, picture feeds using SlideRSS, Facebook, calendar using AgendaZ, mail lists for different accounts, the time and weather/temp using Clock and Weather Dashboard, and I can play music files or use nearby Bluetooth speakers to play Pandora, TuneIn, etc. I'll be using mine as long as they work. Picture(s) attached of my setup. PS: I also use Flixi on my Touchpad on its Touchstone nearby. My name is Scott and I'm (still) addicted to WebOS
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Yes the comm board is an independent module with the Sim slot attached.

Here's a pic from a thread i posted here of my last franken conversion.

On the lower piece of paper, in its upper left corner is a separated vzn comm board.
    On the right side are two sub frames. The far right is facing down and has the sprint comm board in it. The other is facing up and has no comm board in place. Notice the external speaker on the subframes to differentiate face up from face down.

You could buy any gsm pre with broken screen or whatever, and use the rear subframe layer that contains the Gsm antenna and comm board. If you feel like tinkering of course. It does require phone tools like those scattered about the pic.

It's a bit of work but low risk since it's not your daily use phone. (And it doesn't require all the disassembly picture. I was swapping broken screens which requires swapping the main board, pictured top right.)
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.