Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hi there,
    Maybe i am unaware of something. Im also quite late to the game.
    After using a view Android querty phones (Like Moto Pro+, or G1 before it) now i have gone more into real linux phones recentely.
    Used n900 for some time and n9 for some short time.
    A friend had a birthday so we with friends gave him the n9. He liked the astetics of it. (me to).
    This was actually first touchscreen only phone that i actually finally tought to use. Because of its good tactile feedback.
    But since i didnt wanted to get another n9. Because I think when it becomes even older ill get it back from him.
    So i bought Pre 3. And i like it very much. This is healthy golden mean between n900 and Moto Pro+.
    n900 looking to me more like some kind of umpc. Then a phone. Just a tiny bit to bulky.

What i am wondering is. Ive noticed that there exists something like FrankenPre. Im not sure what is the reason for doing it? I mean is there something special about it?
    Or i dont really miss anything it has that Pre 3 doesnt have?

Thanks in advance,
    Nikolai
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai_D View Post
    Hi there,
    After using a view Android querty phones (Like Moto Pro+, or G1 before it) now i have gone more into real linux phones recentely.
    A friend had a birthday so we with friends gave him the n9. He liked the astetics of it. (me to).
    This was actually first touchscreen only phone that i actually finally tought to use. Because of its good tactile feedback.
    But since i didnt wanted to get another n9. Because I think when it becomes even older ill get it back from him.
    So i bought Pre 3. And i like it very much. This is healthy golden mean between n900 and Moto Pro+.
    n900 looking to me more like some kind of umpc. Then a phone. Just a tiny bit to bulky.

What i am wondering is. Ive noticed that there exists something like FrankenPre. Im not sure what is the reason for doing it? I mean is there something special about it?

Thanks in advance,
    Nikolai
    In the beginning, there was Sprint, it had a Pre (with 256M of RAM and 8G of USB Storage), then came the PrePlus (with 512M of RAM and 16G of USB Storage, then the upgraded Pre2 (better processor (CPU), different Graphics processor, and with 512M of RAM and 16G of USB Storage)...

All sharing the same Modem Communication's board (COMM Board), the PrePlus and Pre2 was not released to Sprint, so Sprint users were stuck with the Pre, then came webOS Internals, and they showed that Sprint users could use a PrePlus even a Pre2...

So depending on your Carrier, personal choices, there are reasons, Verizon gives a free 5G hotspot with the PrePlus and PixiPlus but not on the Pre2, so if one wants to keep the hotspot for the Pre2 the Franken methods is the only way... Some like to have the Plastic front of the PrePlus on the Pre2 instead of the Pre2 Gorilla Glass...
    In summary, if you're stuck on Sprint and want a webOS phone, FrankenPre is still your best option since only the Sprint Pre-minus comm board can talk to the network. And the extra RAM alone makes a world of difference!
    If you are on Sprint with a webOS phone, you aren't stuck, you want to be there.
    ananimus and TJs11thPre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If you are on Sprint with a webOS phone, you aren't stuck, you want to be there.
    Not what I meant, I did not refer to being Stuck on Sprint, I was referring to being Stuck on the Pre vs the PrePlus or Pre2, as the PrePlus and Pre2 were never released to the public on the Sprint Network.

Ok I get where the comment was directed... Glad what I wrote was not taken out of context...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/09/2014 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Not what I meant, I did not refer to being Stuck on Sprint, I was referring to being Stuck on the Pre vs the PrePlus or Pre2, as the PrePlus and Pre2 were never released to the public on the Sprint Network.
    I was just picking on Ananimus there. You're right - unless they leave or do hardware mods, Sprint users are indeed stuck with the Pre. I'm sure those that were not inclined to do the mod already moved to a different device or another carrier by now.
    Yeah, sorry, John. That was me.

Because I totally meant, "stuck on Sprint," Matt.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    You get grandfathered into the 5GB free tethering. I still have it on my Verizon Pre3
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    You get grandfathered into the 5GB free tethering. I still have it on my Verizon Pre3
    Depends on the Data Plan, lots of reports of those that went to Pre2/Pre3 who lost it, and those who went back to PrePlus got it back...

Now with LTE they have to allow a Hotspot (as well as unlocked devices) as part of their agreement with FCC...
    I was just picking on Ananimus there. You're right - unless they leave or do hardware mods, Sprint users are indeed stuck with the Pre. I'm sure those that were not inclined to do the mod already moved to a different device or another carrier by now.
    Grabber5.0 - there is at least one person who is still working with their original Sprint Pre- (actually second, since my first one died in 2010 and they gave me a replacement)...besides the dead touchscreen sensors on 2/3 of screen...I make due as this phone as my daily driver. However, I'm going to have to FrankenPre my phone soon if I loose one more row of screen space.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Ok, thank you for replies guys. Your replies confirmed it. Because after posting this question i actually went onto googling some more about it. And saw indeed that it was something to do with beind stuck on Sprint.

Not a problem for me tough. Because im in Belguim. And my 'new' Pre 3 just works here.

The only thing that is not completely correct is. My app catalog doesnt open. (Yes i did the update successfully).
    But since i can use PreWare. And also google for "AppName for WebOs" and sometimes get a link to this App on the App Catalog. And email this link to myself. So that the Apps own page dooes open in the App Catalog on my phone. So i still can install it.
    So not a major issue. (While i wouldnt mind if i could browse App Catalog).

p.s. I think for the future it would be awesome if Sailfish would be ported to N9.
    Grabber5.0,
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have a Pre- that I'm still using as my daily driver. I do need to do a FrankenPre2 upgrade to it now since I only two rows of usable touchscreen on the left side of my screen, but other than that, my replacement to my launch day Pre- (10/2010) is flawless as can be for such an old phone. Just wish someone (Qualcomm or LG) would give serious considerations to producing a webOS based smartphone or a port can be made to another device that is fully functional. -Del-
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmikell View Post
    Grabber5.0,
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have a Pre- that I'm still using as my daily driver. I do need to do a FrankenPre2 upgrade to it now since I only two rows of usable touchscreen on the left side of my screen, but other than that, my replacement to my launch day Pre- (10/2010) is flawless as can be for such an old phone. Just wish someone (Qualcomm or LG) would give serious considerations to producing a webOS based smartphone or a port can be made to another device that is fully functional. -Del-
    I have to give props to anyone using the original Sprint Pre as their daily driver today. Really overclocked to 800 or 1000 mhz it runs very well on 1.4.5. There were a few things I really wanted 2.x for - autocorrect, 3rd party music apps, and the glass screen of the Pre 2. The faster speed is nice too - the Pre at 1000 is not as fast as the Pre2 at 1000, even with both running 2.x.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/10/2014 at 05:03 PM.
    in US, your carrier significantly affects phone choice. the Sprint Frankenpre2 allows a webOS experience with one of the few remaining truly unlimited data plans albeit at 3g

these days, it's kind of like this with regard to webOS 2.x...

if you're on:

t-mobile, at&t or its mvnos - Pre3 or Veer
    verizon - Pre2 or Pre3
    sprint - frankenpre2

but side by side comparing, i like the availability of batteries, chargers, and spare parts, plus the higher RAM. the Pre2 is still competent. i tried to move to the Pre3 but after test driving i stuck with Frankie
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 03/11/2014 at 12:38 AM.
    Some like to have the Plastic front of the PrePlus on the Pre2 instead of the Pre2 Gorilla Glass...
    Some, such as myself, just wound up breaking the glass screen and found it cheaper to buy the plastic Pre+ screen instead of a glass Pre2 screen - though the glass was nice while i had it.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai_D View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance,
    Nikolai
    Hi,
    The main reason is that CDMA based networks (e.g. Verizon and Sprint) don't have SIM cards and they "authorize" the phone directly, that means that you can only use phones that are specifically allowed in that network.

When new "Pre versions" came out, because they weren't supported by Sprint, the only way to use them on that network,was to swap the new phone's "com board" by the one of an existing working Pre, this allows to "fool" the network into thinking that you didn't change your phone.

Cheers
    JD
    Could I put a Pre+ comm board into a Pre2 to trick Verizon into giving me the free hotspot while getting the better keyboard of the Pre2? Would I need to use a custom doctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    Could I put a Pre+ comm board into a Pre2 to trick Verizon into giving me the free hotspot while getting the better keyboard of the Pre2? Would I need to use a custom doctor?
    Sort of...

From my understanding the meid of the device is what is stored in the HP/Palm database for the device, so if you put a PrePlus Comm board in a Pre2, Verizon will see it as a PrePlus, and the HP/Palm profile will see it as a PrePlus, even though it is a Pre2, to fix that one would have to use impostah to change (device profile override patch will be needed), its meid to one never used Keep the same meid but change a leading 0 to a 1, this will have no effect on Verizon as it will see only the meid registered in the comm board but HP/Palm will now see it as a Pre2.

To do this log into the device as dev mode, install impostah and device override patch, then modify the meid in impostah via a device override then remove the bypassed first use account, reset the palm profile, device will reboot but retain the override patch and config, use first use and restore your profile and apps, here is a trick if you already and impostah installed it's config maybe restored via your palm profile which might overwrite your device override settings...

Kind of a lot of work...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/14/2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    the keyboard in a pre2 feels no different than a pre. the difference is only cosmetic, in the orange highlights changed to grey. the keyboards which feel more responsive are on the veer and pre3.

also, you can buy a Verizon branded pre2. no swap needed.

lastly, freetether from Preware works excellent, if you weren't already aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    the keyboard in a pre2 feels no different than a pre. the difference is only cosmetic, in the orange highlights changed to grey. the keyboards which feel more responsive are on the veer and pre3.

also, you can buy a Verizon branded pre2. no swap needed.

lastly, freetether from Preware works excellent, if you weren't already aware.
    Every Pre+ I have seen has the sticky key syndrome. Every Pre2 I have seen does not. This may be a wrong assumption, but it is my experience.

The Pre- has an orange key, the Pre+ doesn't.

I have a Verizon Pre2 (as well as a Verizon Pre+, both sitting in a drawer), but the Pre2 doesn't get free tethering from Verizon.

The official hotspot, gives faster speeds than free tether.

My $0.02...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast