1.    #1  
    I'm older & not terribly tech-savvy wehn it comes to phones. My boss just "dumped" (his word, not mine) his barely-used unlocked Pre 2 on me, & I thought it would be a cool replacement for my Sidekick. I use T-Mobile prepaid, and after I stuck the sim into the Pre 2 I got hung up in the network settings and can't get past that. From what I've seen around here, it looks like I absolutely, positively need an account with a data plan to use the Pre 2 for anything other than a paperweight. Any insights, suggestions, snarky comments?
    For activation and creating a profile, you either need a data plan or put it in developer mode and bypass activation. If you are not tech savvy, you may not enjoy that process. The auto network settings will work fine as long as the phone is really unlocked. See if you can borrow a sim with data long enough to create a profile. After that, it will work perfectly well without data except WiFi, other than not being able to send or receive MMS.
    Can't it send and receive MMS too with more tinkering (APN)?

But yeah, bypassing the initial activation when you have no data is prolly gonna be a headache if you've no interest in a little geeky detour. Really still can't believe they ddidnt make a "would you like to turn on wifi?" option for that.
    Yes MMS worked with the default settings for me anyway.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjmcconnell View Post
    I'm older & not terribly tech-savvy wehn it comes to phones. My boss just "dumped" (his word, not mine) his barely-used unlocked Pre 2 on me, & I thought it would be a cool replacement for my Sidekick. I use T-Mobile prepaid, and after I stuck the sim into the Pre 2 I got hung up in the network settings and can't get past that. From what I've seen around here, it looks like I absolutely, positively need an account with a data plan to use the Pre 2 for anything other than a paperweight. Any insights, suggestions, snarky comments?
    Thanks, guys; sounds easy enough. I appreciate your input.
    can't he just put it in devmode and use his non data sim with the dr. first use profile? emergency call, erase 911, dial #*DEVMODE#, reboot, insert sim, reboot? that would be easy peasy. too easy?