1.    #1  
    I had the Palm Pre Plus for Verizon back in 2010 and absolutely loved the phone. However, when the iPhone came out in early 2011 for VZW I quickly jumped ship. Now I have the Galaxy S4, but with LG webOS in the news recently, my love the Pre has been rediscovered.

I would really like to purchase a Palm Pre 2 for VZW soon, but I have several questions. First off, can I just take the SIM card out of my S4 put it into the Pre 2? I would really like to be able to switch between phones, but I can't completely get rid of the S4 because of the functionality and the price I paid for it. My second question; if I am able to get the Pre 2 to take my SIM card, will I just as easily be able to pop it back into my S4 with no worries.

A hassle free experience without placing any limitations on either device or my VZW line is what I'm looking for. If you ended up reading all of this, lol, thank you for your time!
    Quote Originally Posted by yeehz View Post
    I had the Palm Pre Plus for Verizon back in 2010 and absolutely loved the phone. However, when the iPhone came out in early 2011 for VZW I quickly jumped ship. Now I have the Galaxy S4, but with LG webOS in the news recently, my love the Pre has been rediscovered.

I would really like to purchase a Palm Pre 2 for VZW soon, but I have several questions. First off, can I just take the SIM card out of my S4 put it into the Pre 2? I would really like to be able to switch between phones, but I can't completely get rid of the S4 because of the functionality and the price I paid for it. My second question; if I am able to get the Pre 2 to take my SIM card, will I just as easily be able to pop it back into my S4 with no worries.

A hassle free experience without placing any limitations on either device or my VZW line is what I'm looking for. If you ended up reading all of this, lol, thank you for your time!
    You are talking Verizon....

Verizon does not use SIMS in their older 3G phones only the LTE have SIM cards...

But you can switch, use the My Verizon, and put in the Hex Code of your 3G device into the switch to a new device (not 100% sure what the option is called)... then a *22899 to activate and then *22891 to update the PRL...

However, depending on your data plan things might change (be fore warned)...

I'd say a quick test is... can you take your SIM card out now and try on any other phone (unlocked) and have it work?

If yes, I'd go with: I wouldn't see why you'd have any trouble doing it with a Pre2.

I know that for me, I can do this easily... I've put my SIM and tried it in other phones, other Pre2s, and now in my Pre3 and never had an issue or anything to do... I placed the SIM in the phone, booted it and the connection worked and the number and everything was fine.

If Verizon is different, then this might be an issue... but testing with another phone would be the first thing I'd do.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I'd say a quick test is... can you take your SIM card out now and try on any other phone (unlocked) and have it work?

If yes, I'd go with: I wouldn't see why you'd have any trouble doing it with a Pre2.

I know that for me, I can do this easily... I've put my SIM and tried it in other phones, other Pre2s, and now in my Pre3 and never had an issue or anything to do... I placed the SIM in the phone, booted it and the connection worked and the number and everything was fine.

If Verizon is different, then this might be an issue... but testing with another phone would be the first thing I'd do.
    Sorry Verizon is different the Pre2 for Verizon is CDMA, Verizon is not a GSM carrier, although they are using GSM LTE parts they still are CDMA behind the scenes...

All LTE devices default back to 3G (CDMA) when LTE is not available, the GSM Pre2 does not work on the same bands as LTE does so only a Verizon (CDMA) Pre2 will work on Verizon...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Sorry Verizon is different the Pre2 for Verizon is CDMA, Verizon is not a GSM carrier, although they are using GSM LTE parts they still are CDMA behind the scenes...

All LTE devices default back to 3G (CDMA) when LTE is not available, the GSM Pre2 does not work on the same bands as LTE does so only a Verizon (CDMA) Pre2 will work on Verizon...
    Well, here in Canada, I used an unlocked Pre2 (I unlocked a "Roger" one) and just switched to a Pre3 and with Bell Mobility, which is a CDMA, LTE and HSPA+ based wireless network.

Pop the SIM card in it, and no issues.

Same with the other 3x Pre2 that the kids have/had (bought on eBay being already unlocked)... got SIM cards, put them in, worked... two kids have switched phones lately and they flipped the SIMs to the other phones and everything worked fine.

From what I know, the Pre2 comes in two flavour: being either CDMA or GSM.

So if the OP gets the CDMA version (unlocked) I'm not sure what the problem would be.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 01/06/2014 at 01:11 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  6.    #6  
    Like I said, I'm just looking to switch SIM cards between phones with no hassle. I don't want to worry about calling verizon or switching anything over. Along with what I've read above and some extra research, it doesn't look like this will be possible (unless I want to make things complicated).
    Well, here in Canada, I used an unlocked Pre2 (I unlocked a "Roger" one) and just switched to a Pre3 and with Bell Mobility, which is a CDMA, LTE and HSPA+ based wireless network.

Pop the SIM card in it, and no issues.

Same with the other 3x Pre2 that the kids have/had (bought on eBay being already unlocked)... got SIM cards, put them in, worked... two kids have switched phones lately and they flipped the SIMs to the other phones and everything worked fine.

From what I know, the Pre2 comes in two flavour: being either CDMA or GSM.

So if the OP gets the CDMA version (unlocked) I'm not sure what the problem would be.
    the problem would be lack of a SIM slot in that CDMA phone. VZN Pre2 has no SIM slot. it's part of the comm board, which are different in CDMA vs. GSM Pre's.

however, like already stated, he should be able to activate any VZN branded Pre2 or Pre3 and use it at 3G speed. His existing LTE SIM will stay in his LTE GS4.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    the problem would be lack of a SIM slot in that CDMA phone. VZN Pre2 has no SIM slot. it's part of the comm board, which are different in CDMA vs. GSM Pre's.

however, like already stated, he should be able to activate any VZN branded Pre2 or Pre3 and use it at 3G speed. His existing LTE SIM will stay in his LTE GS4.
    As I don't use Verizon (and it's not here in Canada, so it's a moot point) I might not understand their system.

My question..
    why can't someone (the OP in this case) not get an Pre2 that is

1) a CDMA version
    2) an unlocked version that has a SIM card slot

Is there something about the Pre2 that other phones that have a CDMA and unlocked and takes a SIM card that is different..

Or is it that Verizon will not take ANY unlocked phone???????

If it can take other phones, why not an unlocked Pre2?
    I see a pattern...
    As I don't use Verizon (and it's not here in Canada, so it's a moot point) I might not understand their system.

My question..
    why can't someone (the OP in this case) not get an Pre2 that is

1) a CDMA version
    2) an unlocked version that has a SIM card slot

Is there something about the Pre2 that other phones that have a CDMA and unlocked and takes a SIM card that is different..

Or is it that Verizon will not take ANY unlocked phone???????

If it can take other phones, why not an unlocked Pre2?
    Verizon is a closed system, they only allow their Phones on their system.

Verizon is a CDMA carrier not a GSM carrier, so all of their phones including LTE have a CDMA modem in them, yes they have LTE GSM and because of the BANDs they are using part of the deal was to unlock all phones that use LTE, however, you can not use a GSM Pre2 on Verizon.

1) Verizon is not a GSM carrier.
    2) Verizon did not authorize any GSM phones.
    3) Before Verizon's LTE Verizon did not use SIM cards.
    4) The Verizon Pre2 is CDMA only not LTE also no SIM card.

Sorry being a Verizon customer I know that Verizon is a closed system (only Verizon branded phones will work on Verizon's network) (FYI Sprint was the same way with their CDMA Pre's, do not know about their LTE offering as I am not a Sprint customer).

Now I have heard of people wiping away their ESN from one phone and copying it to another to trick Verizon/Sprint to have a non-authorized phone, but here in the US that is illegal and if caught one can face a big prison term.

So in a nut shell Verizon is not GSM, GSM phones will not work on Verizon, no matter what one tries they will need a Verizon Branded phone to work on Verizon.

As I have stated before the OP can use the My Verizon and put in the Verizon Pre2 ESN, (*22899 to activate and *22891 to update PRL) then it will work, when OP wants to switch back they have to log back on to My Verizon and put in the ESN/MEID/IMEI ID of the LTE phone to switch.

Now as I do not have an Verizon LTE phone, but from the below URL it seems you can swap the SIM card from one Verizon LTE device to another Verizon LTE device: http://support.verizonwireless.com/s..._sim_card.html

FYI:
    5.Is my 4G SIM card compatible with any existing Verizon Wireless 3G device?

No, 4G SIM cards are only compatible with Verizon Wireless-Certified 4G devices.

6.Is my 4G SIM card compatible with any other provider’s device?

Possibly. Many providers are GSM-based (meaning their service also uses a SIM card), however, Verizon Wireless can only support Verizon Wireless-Certified 4G devices.

7.Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM in more than one device?

Yes; the Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card contains all of your subscriber information, so the SIM card is portable and can be used in any Verizon Wireless-certified 4G device. All usage will be billed to the account associated with the 4G SIM card.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/07/2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Like I said, I'm just looking to switch SIM cards between phones with no hassle. I don't want to worry about calling verizon or switching anything over. Along with what I've read above and some extra research, it doesn't look like this will be possible (unless I want to make things complicated).
    Well... I'm trying to get answers here... and it's confusing me.

I have a bunch of unlocked CDMA Pre2s which all take SIM cards.

The other poster appears to insist or believe that all Pre2s are the same and can't take cards... and I have no clue about the Verizon system.

But if you check if Verizon will take unlocked phones with SIMS slots, then I would think that you'd be fine...but I can't be certain.
    I see a pattern...

The other poster appears to insist or believe that all Pre2s are the same and can't take cards... and I have no clue about the Verizon system.

But if you check if Verizon will take unlocked phones with SIMS slots, then I would think that you'd be fine...but I can't be certain.
    Canada is different Bell for instance might have unlocked CDMA with SIM but those are not Verizon Branded...

As I said in the previous post, only Verizon Branded Phones will work on Verizon's closed system.

AT&T is GSM one can take their SIM from AT&T and put it in a GSM phone and as long as that phone is compatible with the BAND's it will work.

Verizon does not work that way...

Sorry...

I have been a Verizon customer for over 14 years, they are not GSM in the sense of using any phone only Verizon Branded LTE phones...

FYI Verizon's PrePlus, PixiPlus, Pre2, and Pre3 are all Verizon CDMA 3G none are LTE, now the Pre3 does have a SIM slot but that is to be used on Vodafone network when one goes out of the USA.
    Well, one thing is certain, and that's cell phone services are a pain to deal with or understand their mentality and approaches.

But the more I read about it, the more I want to hit my head on my desk when it comes to the US Verizon system, which appears to be one of the only system in the world to continue having an antiquated system to lock people in.

Europe and Asia have even put laws down to prevent this sort of crap, so that anyone can buy any phone they want, pop the SIM in it and move on...

One thing that was sure for me, years ago, was that I wanted this ability, to just have a SIM and switch from phone to phone if I needed to, and just in time Bell had done this switch.

I've found a few sites that state that one can now use SIMs with Verizon and it's possible, which you mention in some way.

But just wow... to be so locked down like Verizon appears to do, I just wouldn't be able to put myself is such a situation.
    I see a pattern...
    This is the US Market...

For the most part there are three carriers AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.

There are others that ride the coat tales of those call Mimo cell carriers...

Now there is also a forth now T-Mobile, which was on AT&T's but now is making it's own Towers, but for the most part lets just talk about the original three.

They all are locked for reasons unknown to me... But lets talk US based cell plans and phones...

A phone retails for $500, US Carriers subsidize that and will sell the phone for $99 with a two year contract.

Now the contract for phone service will cost you at least $80 (break down the plan smart phone fee $29, line charge $10, then $50 for unlimited minutes) per month now you can twist and change and might get the plan for $70 or $60 but that is about the cheapest you can get a plan.

Now take that $80 * but 24 months = $1920 for your two year contract plus the cost of the phone $99 and you have spent $2000 in two years...

Now if you decide you want to break your contract there is something call a termination fee $250 to % of the value of the phone subsidized.

Outside of USA, you buy a phone, buy a SIM buy a plan you paid $500 for the phone $10 for the SIM and $10 for the plan minutes/internet. $500 + $10 + $10 = $520 out of pocket now...

US does it different? is it better? is it worse? Pay $80 a month or $520 now?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    This is the US Market...

Outside of USA, you buy a phone, buy a SIM buy a plan you paid $500 for the phone $10 for the SIM and $10 for the plan minutes/internet. $500 + $10 + $10 = $520 out of pocket now...

US does it different? is it better? is it worse? Pay $80 a month or $520 now?
    psst, I'm in Canada, which uses (or I might say used) the same system, which I'm sure that many countries also have a "subsidized" option...

Maybe the difference is that I can get a plan that comes with a phone, and be locked for a couple of years, or have my own phone, not be locked in and get a discounted fare.

My two kids went, got a new phone, cost them 99$, and have an unlocked plan which is about 15-25$ per month according to usage. They have a minimum and if they go extra, it's like 5$ per another block of airtime/data, which so for, one kid was silly and it went up to 30$ one time. Most time the activation fee can be set aside (and has been every time I dealt with the service people).

So what's worse?

99$ for a phone that's unlocked (yes the phones from the cell phone provider were unlocked), and these are average phone, not bottom of the pile..(Nexus 4 or 5 if I remember correctly)...

and a 20-25$ per month plan...(includes unlimited texting, unlimited talk during evening or such and full weekends, which is what they do anyways)

And if you have your own phone already... well.. another discount, etc.

I gave up on ever dealing with another plan that is basically a phone payment plan, I have enough with a mortgage and car payment already.

And the point is... you get a cheap phone, last year's model or such, which will do everything, and it's not going to be 500$.

Heck... look where we are... On a forum about the Palm Pre2, so this isn't about getting a phone via a payment plan, but about buying a phone that is technically unlocked, and needs to be put on a plan.

I rather enjoyed being able to take my SIM out of my Pre2, use it to activate all of the kids' Pre2s last year, and this year, I opened my Pre3 box, charged it, put my SIM from my Pre2 in it and that was it... the phone turned on, was connected, and not a single thing was needed to be done or changed.

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to be able to do such a thing.
    I see a pattern...

no you don't.

Your unlocked Rogers Pre2's are GSM. They use a SIM to receive 3G UMTS.

That same SIM can be used in your Bell Mobility Pre3 to receive "faux-G" HSPA+. It is not operating on the CDMA network.

CDMA phones do not use SIMs that are swappable. The radio itself is assigned an MEID, unlike an IMSI that moves with a SIM card. This is how Sprint and VZN "lock out" non-authorized phones.

What you are describing, the mobility of SIMs for swapping to various handsets, is available in the US on GSM and LTE networks like AT&T or T-Mobile. Yes, it is much more convenient for a user who wishes to swap phones. But that has been contrary to US carriers' desire for handset exclusivity deals, which these days are diminishing as mfg's like Apple and Samsung now have more clout.

Most webOS phones are victims of the carrier exclusivity wars during late 00's, which is why the Pre was on Sprint, the PrePlus and Pre2 were on Verizon, and the Pre3 and Veer were on ATT. It's quite annoying actually.

But meanwhile for the OP, if he wants to use a Pre2 on VZN, he's either adding a line, or playing the ESN swap game through their website as John S. already described. But he won't need to do anything with the SIM from his GS4. VZN SIMs only work in VZN LTE phones, and of course there are no webOS LTE phones.

i hope this clarifies the initial confusion. As far as whether it's cheaper to use subsidized handsets or not, that's a whole 'nother discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    no you don't.

Your unlocked Rogers Pre2's are GSM. They use a SIM to receive 3G UMTS.

That same SIM can be used in your Bell Mobility Pre3 to receive "faux-G" HSPA+. It is not operating on the CDMA network.

CDMA phones do not use SIMs that are swappable. The radio itself is assigned an MEID, unlike an IMSI that moves with a SIM card. This is how Sprint and VZN "lock out" non-authorized phones.

What you are describing, the mobility of SIMs for swapping to various handsets, is available in the US on GSM and LTE networks like AT&T or T-Mobile. Yes, it is much more convenient for a user who wishes to swap phones. But that has been contrary to US carriers' desire for handset exclusivity deals, which these days are diminishing as mfg's like Apple and Samsung now have more clout.

Most webOS phones are victims of the carrier exclusivity wars during late 00's, which is why the Pre was on Sprint, the PrePlus and Pre2 were on Verizon, and the Pre3 and Veer were on ATT. It's quite annoying actually.

But meanwhile for the OP, if he wants to use a Pre2 on VZN, he's either adding a line, or playing the ESN swap game through their website as John S. already described. But he won't need to do anything with the SIM from his GS4. VZN SIMs only work in VZN LTE phones, and of course there are no webOS LTE phones.

i hope this clarifies the initial confusion. As far as whether it's cheaper to use subsidized handsets or not, that's a whole 'nother discussion.
    Well thanks for such clarifications, I've been trying to figure out a few things... I have read a few things about some CDMA phones that can have cards that "loop" (for lack of better word) into the LTE system.

As I stated, finding the information in a clear fashion is challenging.

And the Pre (original) that I have is a CDMA (as no SIM), I admit that for the Pre2s I can't even find the information to what network protocol they even use as Bell has so many running at the same time that I don't even know what my phones are connecting with...

But my point is/was that I wouldn't want to deal with a locked environment after my experiences, now that with my unlocked phone, I just find the ease of use so much better.. just a swapping of a card from one phone to another is just something that I can't see doing without. It made my switch to my Pre3 so simple, and I've had to do it with other phones, so it's almost a needed feature and not just an option.
    I see a pattern...
    Well thanks for such clarifications, I've been trying to figure out a few things... I have read a few things about some CDMA phones that can have cards that "loop" (for lack of better word) into the LTE system.

As I stated, finding the information in a clear fashion is challenging.

And the Pre (original) that I have is a CDMA (as no SIM), I admit that for the Pre2s I can't even find the information to what network protocol they even use as Bell has so many running at the same time that I don't even know what my phones are connecting with...

But my point is/was that I wouldn't want to deal with a locked environment after my experiences, now that with my unlocked phone, I just find the ease of use so much better.. just a swapping of a card from one phone to another is just something that I can't see doing without. It made my switch to my Pre3 so simple, and I've had to do it with other phones, so it's almost a needed feature and not just an option.
    most definitely. sim swap is so much easier on the user. but if it's 'better for the people', it's probably in some socialist foreign country, not capitalist (corporations are people and the only ones that matter) USA. /sarcasm

here's a simple test: on your dialpad, try the ## codes. ## codes only work on cdma. gsm uses #*. #*786# will give you your modem's info if it's GSM. but CDMA phones have ##DEBUG# which gives you real time CDMA connectivity specs.

yes, LTE phones on the CDMA carriers here (sprint, VZN) have both now. LTE for 4G, and CDMA for EV-DO 3G and 1X. LTE requires the SIM, but a Sprint GS4 will function without it.