Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

My son broke his phone and it's still under contract, so I'm trying to resurrect my old FrankenPre2, which has been gathering dust for about 14 months. I took it to the Sprint store and they were able to activate it. I could send and receive phone calls and text messages, but I couldn't get a data connection.

I figured it must still be attached to my old Palm profile or something, so I ran a Doctor on it. It took a while to find the old metadoctor I built when I FrankenPre'd the thing, but I found it and after a few tries it ran successfully.

The phone rebooted and gave me the prompts you'd expect from a factory reset phone: it prompted me to choose the language and log in to my Palm profile or create a new profile. Unfortunately, I apparently still do not have a data connection because neither one of those options works. It prompts me for a name, a password, and an email address, then gives me a screen that says "Checking Email...." which eventually fails. The error screen says "Sign In Failed" and says I must be connected to my wireless service provider's network to sign in. How can I validate my email if the data connection isn't working? WiFi isn't an option until after I activate it.

I appear to be stuck. I tried running the activation bypass utility but I had errors ("Error: missing resource images/nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage") and I'm not sure that's what I want to do anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Could this the a root certificate issue I read about a long time ago?

Thanks!
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

You might want to try ##DEVMODE# to go into Developer Mode, then enable WiFi, install Impostah using WebOS QuickInstaller, login to your profile there :-) Afterwards there are a few more steps in Impostah you need to take. Will look them up for you a bit later.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    Hi everyone,

My son broke his phone and it's still under contract, so I'm trying to resurrect my old FrankenPre2, which has been gathering dust for about 14 months. I took it to the Sprint store and they were able to activate it. I could send and receive phone calls and text messages, but I couldn't get a data connection.

I figured it must still be attached to my old Palm profile or something, so I ran a Doctor on it. It took a while to find the old metadoctor I built when I FrankenPre'd the thing, but I found it and after a few tries it ran successfully.

The phone rebooted and gave me the prompts you'd expect from a factory reset phone: it prompted me to choose the language and log in to my Palm profile or create a new profile. Unfortunately, I apparently still do not have a data connection because neither one of those options works. It prompts me for a name, a password, and an email address, then gives me a screen that says "Checking Email...." which eventually fails. The error screen says "Sign In Failed" and says I must be connected to my wireless service provider's network to sign in. How can I validate my email if the data connection isn't working? WiFi isn't an option until after I activate it.

I appear to be stuck. I tried running the activation bypass utility but I had errors ("Error: missing resource images/nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage") and I'm not sure that's what I want to do anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Could this the a root certificate issue I read about a long time ago?

Thanks!
    your comment has me very confused. as far as i know, you cannot just go to Sprint with a FrankenPre and have them activate it. The comm board must be in an original Pre with webOS 1.x to activate successfully.

I am guessing you don't have an EV symbol at all, but maybe you see the word Sprint and have full bars.

My experience has always been to put the comm board in the Pre-, activate, then swap to the new host chassis and run the META DOCTOR, not just the standard doctor. That will also blow out your settings.

But hey maybe the Sprint guy did something amazing if you're making calls and receiving texts. So, just in case, MAKE SURE TO CHECK THAT DATA IS TURNED ON in the Preferences menu of the Telephone app.

After that, you can do ##DEBUG# on the dialpad and see what it says for your EVDO IP address. See if it's in an active data state or if it's just shut off.

Also, try ##DATA# to see if your sprintpcs email address is assigned to the phone. but as far as i know, neither Impostah nor modifications to the ##DATA menus with a master subsidy unlock will help. i've always had to go back to the Pre- to activate the board. (so let me know if you pull it off otherwise.)

my thread history includes my last franken build, and i put in a lot of links to helpful sources.

i'm pretty sure what Herrie is suggesting is for bypassing activation and making it a wifi only device. this can be done with Impostah, but i don't think you'll be able to get your EV data that way. if someone else knows how, i'd like to know how too, PM us if necessary!

good luck!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/17/2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    your comment has me very confused. as far as i know, you cannot just go to Sprint with a FrankenPre and have them activate it. The comm board must be in an original Pre with webOS 1.x to activate successfully.

I am guessing you don't have an EV symbol at all, but maybe you see the word Sprint and have full bars.

My experience has always been to put the comm board in the Pre-, activate, then swap to the new host chassis and run the META DOCTOR, not just the standard doctor. That will also blow out your settings.

But hey maybe the Sprint guy did something amazing if you're making calls and receiving texts. So, just in case, MAKE SURE TO CHECK THAT DATA IS TURNED ON in the Preferences menu of the Telephone app.

After that, you can do ##DEBUG# on the dialpad and see what it says for your EVDO IP address. See if it's in an active data state or if it's just shut off.

Also, try ##DATA# to see if your sprintpcs email address is assigned to the phone. but as far as i know, neither Impostah nor modifications to the ##DATA menus with a master subsidy unlock will help. i've always had to go back to the Pre- to activate the board. (so let me know if you pull it off otherwise.)

my thread history includes my last franken build, and i put in a lot of links to helpful sources.

i'm pretty sure what Herrie is suggesting is for bypassing activation and making it a wifi only device. this can be done with Impostah, but i don't think you'll be able to get your EV data that way. if someone else knows how, i'd like to know how too, PM us if necessary!

good luck!
    I have no experience with CDMA, only GSM, so cannot be of much help here... With GSM it's activating data and setting APN, but I know CDMA is a lot more tricky
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5.    #5  

That is exactly what I'm seeing.

We opened the Device Info app, then More Details(?) to get the numbers he needed to activate it. Those numbers were left over from the last time the phone had been active on my account. He typed them by hand into his system, he didn't scan the bar code or read the numbers behind the battery (although I brought my old Sprint Pre- with the Pre2's comm board in it in case he wanted to try that path). Once it was activated but unable to establish a data connection, I checked that data was turned on, and tried it both with and without data roaming enabled. It didn't work either way.

I can't try these things because I can't get to the dial pad. I'm stuck at the first use screen. Prior to doctoring I could have, but I guess I was too hasty when I doctored it. In my experience that usually fixes things, rather than breaks them.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

6.    #6  
    The comm board must be in an original Pre with webOS 1.x to activate successfully.
    I just reread this line. Do you think I should doctor the device back to 1.x and then deactivate/reactivate it? Is that possible without moving the comm board back to the Pre- chassis? I don't think it would be worth that much effort.

I am on Verizon, so I can not test this, but there is a leaked webOS 2.x doctor for the Sprint Pre, inside the doctor is a carrier app called Provisioner_1.0.0-28_armv7.ipk, I can not tell you the name of the doctor but google it, it is there... if you want it (PM me I can't share the links in these forums)...

Anyway, according to what I understand is that unless the provisioner app is installed, the Sprint service can not provision the device during an activation.

Now I do not have Sprint, can not validate if this would work, most people use webOS 1.4.5 on a Pre provision it then move it to a Pre2, but I have suggested this many times, but nobody has tried it, or at least reported it works.

Maybe you can try this, also you can always invoke developer mode, hit the emergency dial and then ##devmode# it has always worked...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/17/2013 at 04:15 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know you could dial anything but 911 with Emergency Call so I had always carefully avoided it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You might want to try ##DEVMODE# to go into Developer Mode, then enable WiFi, install Impostah using WebOS QuickInstaller, login to your profile there
    When I enter ##DEVMODE#, it's already on and there's nothing I can change but to turn it off, and I need to hard boot to get out of that screen. I don't seem to be able to turn WiFi on.

• AN/AAA AUTENTICATION (EVDO): "authenticated"
    • DATA SESSION CURR. IP ADDR. (EVDO) is "0.0.0.0". [That doesn't look good]
    • CHANNEL # (EVDO): 150
    • RECEIVE SIGNAL STRENTH (EVDO): -93
    • DATA STATE: Currently not in a packet data call

Also, try ##DATA# to see if your sprintpcs email address is assigned to the phone. but as far as i know, neither Impostah nor modifications to the ##DATA menus with a master subsidy unlock will help.
    • USERNAME: [my MEID]@hcm... [truncated]
    • Advanced/LBS/IPADDRESS: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    • Advanced/LBS/PORT: YYYY

I hope that means something to someone else!

You guys are awesome!

9.    #9  
    UPDATE: I was able to get past the First Use screen by using devicetool.jar. I had to modify it to work with the Pre2 as instructed on this page. I am now able to send and receive calls and text messages again, but still cannot establish a data connection. Every so often it pops up a message saying "Your phone could not establish a data connection (67)."

Any suggestions on the proper Impostah settings to make a data connection? I'll have to wait until I get home to connect to WiFi and try anything.

Progress! Thanks again!

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I have some good and bad news for you ---

The only way to do this is to put the com board back into a pre, with the shipped sprint software.

The Sprint activation software only runs on 1.4.x that was official sprint software.
    Sprint software never shipped on anything other than the pre or pixi, so it only works there.
    Once data is provisioned, move the com board back and you will have data again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news -- but the good news is that you now have a solution
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

The only way to do this is to put the com board back into a pre, with the shipped sprint software.

The Sprint activation software only runs on 1.4.x that was official sprint software.
    Sprint software never shipped on anything other than the pre or pixi, so it only works there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news -- but the good news is that you now have a solution
    That was my fear. It's not worth it to me to take the phone apart and reassemble it. Twice. This will remain a talk/text phone with WiFi capabilities. That's not too shabby, all things considered. I'll have to see if I can patch it to suppress the data connection message, or else that will get annoying.

Thanks to everyone for the support. I continue to be amazed by this community, especially this long after the best (and still unequaled) mobile OS fell by the wayside. This short time playing with it has reawakened my love for it. I dearly wish I could get it on newer hardware. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I am on Verizon, so I can not test this, but there is a leaked webOS 2.x doctor for the Sprint Pre, inside the doctor is a carrier app called Provisioner_1.0.0-28_armv7.ipk, I can not tell you the name of the doctor but google it, it is there... if you want it (PM me I can't share the links in these forums)...

Anyway, according to what I understand is that unless the provisioner app is installed, the Sprint service can not provision the device during an activation.

Now I do not have Sprint, can not validate if this would work, most people use webOS 1.4.5 on a Pre provision it then move it to a Pre2, but I have suggested this many times, but nobody has tried it, or at least reported it works.

Maybe you can try this, also you can always invoke developer mode, hit the emergency dial and then ##devmode# it has always worked...
    Again have you tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

I agree that is one way but has anyone tried the provisionor app to prove it does not work?

That was my fear. It's not worth it to me to take the phone apart and reassemble it. Twice. This will remain a talk/text phone with WiFi capabilities. That's not too shabby, all things considered. I'll have to see if I can patch it to suppress the data connection message, or else that will get annoying.

Thanks to everyone for the support. I continue to be amazed by this community, especially this long after the best (and still unequaled) mobile OS fell by the wayside. This short time playing with it has reawakened my love for it. I dearly wish I could get it on newer hardware. Sigh.
    If you want to try to fix it I would recommend the provisionor app to validate/test...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If you want to try to fix it I would recommend the provisionor app to validate/test...
    Let me make sure I understand what you're recommending. Are you saying I need to find this version of the doctor, use it to re-doctor the phone, then take the phone to Sprint and have them de-activate and then re-activate it? Or can I just find the provisioner IPK and install it, followed by a deactivate/reactivate?

I'm willing to put some more effort into this, but not if it means taking the phone apart again.

Let me make sure I understand what you're recommending. Are you saying I need to find this version of the doctor, use it to re-doctor the phone, then take the phone to Sprint and have them de-activate and then re-activate it? Or can I just find the provisioner IPK and install it, followed by a deactivate/reactivate?

I'm willing to put some more effort into this, but not if it means taking the phone apart again.
    As I said in the previous message the Provisioner app is part of the carrier apps for leaked Sprint Pre (not Pre2), so the leaked doctor would not work for the Pre2, but the app (if you do not want to hassle with the doctor PM me)...

Anyway, once you get the APP you must use the native palm installer to install the IPK (not that hard if you have webOS Quick Installer) and novacom drivers installed you can copy the IPK to the media (USB mode), then once that is done eject the media and then go into command line mode (of webOS Quick Installer) type:

ipkg install the name of the provisioner app and it will install the app.

Now that the software is there it can be provisioned by sprint, do not ask me how to do that, I am not a Sprint user, but assume there is some process one does to get the phone connected to their network...

FYI for Verizon there is a web site, that allows me to put in the MEID, then on the phone one dials *228 to active/provision the phone, I have not idea how Sprint does it.

The issue with Sprint is it requires some provisioner app, that is not installed on a GSM device or Verizon CDMA device.

Again I have no idea if this will work, or how to make the phone provision on Sprint's network, but it is an option and should work.

I am also interested in if that sprint jar will work.

because my last franken was doctored with the metafrankenverizon. i've never used the sprint jar.

i'll pm you in a moment.

because otherwise, the last time i tried, i couldnt activate without doing exactly what you dont want to do, which is move it to the pre, activate, then move it back and activate again. both of which require call to sprint for MEID update. impostah won't do it. but this provisioning thing may.
    The jar in question is for the original Sprint Pre, so it won't work on a Pre2. As John said, you are only after the provisioner application. No, I haven't tried it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The jar in question is for the original Sprint Pre, so it won't work on a Pre2. As John said, you are only after the provisioner application. No, I haven't tried it. :-)

is that build 287.337? as displayed in the header bar when the Dr. starts. or 251.299?
    is that build 287.337? as displayed in the header bar when the Dr. starts. or 251.299?
    Looking at the source of the Provisioner control file it's build is 337, so I assume the first.
    Late to the party. But my two cents: data provisioning for a Sprint board only works in the original device, as I understand it, and with an original Sprint Doctor (1.4.5). There's a warning about activation and provisioning on the FrankenPre instructions, I thought?

Explanations of this go back to Rod and the very first Metadoctors as I recall.

Best of luck trying anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Late to the party. But my two cents: data provisioning for a Sprint board only works in the original device, as I understand it, and with an original Sprint Doctor (1.4.5). There's a warning about activation and provisioning on the FrankenPre instructions, I thought?

Explanations of this go back to Rod and the very first Metadoctors as I recall.

Best of luck trying anyway!
    I agree Rod was always talking about the release provisioner from webOS 1.4.5 that it does not work on webOS 2.x...

But the webOS 2.x provisioner should work on webOS 2.x on the Pre2, however, there might be issues with webOS 2.2.4?

The provisioner for webOS 2.x was un-official released around webOS 2.0.1, unless someone tests we will never know, but there is a lot to gain for Sprint users, and a lot to test, there are Released versions of webOS 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.1.0, and 2.2.4, the provisioner should work on 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 as that is what it was designed for, it might work on webOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4?

I am on Verizon so I can not test this but I have recommended this to others, maybe it will help not having to disassemble/swap mess, a lot can break during that phase...

It might never work with webOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4, but doctoring back to webOS 2.0.0 or 2.0.1 to provision is not a bad thing either?

Frankenpre Reactivation

One has to look at the last post in order to make the Phone app show the selection to produce the update network...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/17/2013 at 06:31 PM.
    ananimus likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast