Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I agree Rod was always talking about the release provisioner from webOS 1.4.5 that it does not work on webOS 2.x...

But the webOS 2.x provisioner should work on webOS 2.x on the Pre2, however, there might be issues with webOS 2.2.4?

The provisioner for webOS 2.x was un-official released around webOS 2.0.1, unless someone tests we will never know, but there is a lot to gain for Sprint users, and a lot to test, there are Released versions of webOS 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.1.0, and 2.2.4, the provisioner should work on 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 as that is what it was designed for, it might work on webOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4?

I am on Verizon so I can not test this but I have recommended this to others, maybe it will help not having to disassemble/swap mess, a lot can break during that phase...

It might never work with webOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4, but doctoring back to webOS 2.0.0 or 2.0.1 to provision is not a bad thing either?

Frankenpre Reactivation

One has to look at the last post in order to make the Phone app show the selection to produce the update network...
    in that thread you mention using impostah to toggle showprl and showupdatenetworksettings. i see showupdateprl in the system prefs tab, but i dont see showupdatenetworksettings...

this is with 2.2.4 not available?? i thought i learned something awesome for a minute. i've been googling for 1.5 hrs but cant find a clue...
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    in that thread you mention using impostah to toggle showprl and showupdatenetworksettings. i see showupdateprl in the system prefs tab, but i dont see showupdatenetworksettings...

this is with 2.2.4 not available?? i thought i learned something awesome for a minute. i've been googling for 1.5 hrs but cant find a clue...
    I am on a Verizon device (CDMA) with webOS 2.2.4 but I see showUpdateNetworkSettings (the capitals matter), if it is not there (GSM), then you need to add it, either with the SQLITE3 tool or with impostah your can create an override, I have never used impostah overrides so I would recommend the command line SQLITE3 tool or look at the example below as it will modify the table directly.

An example of how to set a value via command line:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...n_the_Call_Log

FYI this gets set by the default carrier sweatshop, the Verizon Pre2/Pre3 sweatshop has a file under /usr/lib/luna/customization/system_customization.json which sets these to false by default.

# luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdatePRL": true}'
    # luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdateNetworkSettings": true}'
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/17/2013 at 08:08 PM.
    I am on a Verizon device (CDMA) with webOS 2.2.4 but I see showUpdateNetworkSettings (the capitals matter), if it is not there (GSM), then you need to add it, either with the SQLITE3 tool or with impostah your can Create an override, I have never used impostah overrides so I would recommend the command line SQLITE3 tool or look at the example below as it will modify the table directly.

An example of how to set a value via command line:
    Patch Phone Show Call Duration in the Call Log - WebOS Internals
    of course you would recommend another crazy tool i have no idea how to use. but i'll take a stab and see what haps, because i dont see it in impostah.

i have to try it! i miss having these options like they were in 1.4.5. who knows how out of date my settings are now. hehe
    of course you would recommend another crazy tool i have no idea how to use. but i'll take a stab and see what haps, because i dont see it in impostah.

i have to try it! i miss having these options like they were in 1.4.5. who knows how out of date my settings are now. hehe
    Along with the updates to the System Preferences (I updated my post) for a direct command...

You also would need the webOS 2.x Provisioner app installed, assuming it will even work on webOS 2.2.4?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/17/2013 at 07:52 PM.

# luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdateNetworkSettings": true}'
    can i just copy this to the command window using wosqi? argh i dont know chinese.
    can i just copy this to the command window using wosqi? argh i dont know chinese.
    Yes use webOS Quick Installer command line (just do not include the # as that is the command prompt) and run that command (copy/paste the output) will make it easier to see what it did?

You can then validate via impostah that it made that change?

Then go into the Phone App go to Preferences & Accounts and scroll down and you should see it, although not sure but after you might have to reboot the device for the new system preferences to take effect.

FYI I love when people say that programming code (script really) is Chinese, really it is English, I promise.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/17/2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Yes use webOS Quick Installer command line (just do not include the # as that is the command prompt) and run that command (copy/paste the output) will make it easier to see what it did?

You can then validate via impostah that it made that change?

Then go into the Phone App go to Preferences & Accounts and scroll down and you should see it, although not sure but after you might have to reboot the device for the new system preferences to take effect.

FYI I love when people say that programming code (script really) is Chinese, really it is English, I promise.
    well i'll be a monkey's uncle. or monkeydog for this thread. wosqi worked to set values to true and now both options appear in my phone prefs. so i checked my prl version in ##786# then attempted a PRL update. it failed saying the provisioning service wasn't available. update network settings failed same.

so i'm assuming installation of that provisioning ipk you mentioned is necessary. which i have. so i tried just drag n' drop into wosqi, but it said package dependencies weren't met. hmmm...
    well i'll be a monkey's uncle. or monkeydog for this thread. wosqi worked to set values to true and now both options appear in my phone prefs. so i checked my prl version in ##786# then attempted a PRL update. it failed saying the provisioning service wasn't available. update network settings failed same.

so i'm assuming installation of that provisioning ipk you mentioned is necessary. which i have. so i tried just drag n' drop into wosqi, but it said package dependencies weren't met. hmmm...
    Yes it can not be installed that way, it is a Palm default app...

Mount USB drive copy IPK to USB root, eject USB drive.

Need to use command line and use ipkg install then the file name of the app.

# ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/Provisioner_1.0.0-28_armv7.ipk
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/18/2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Yes it can not be installed that way, it is a Palm default app...

Mount USB drive copy IPK to USB root, eject USB drive.

Need to use command line and use ipkg install then the file name of the app.

# ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/Provisioner_1.0.0-28_armv7.ipk
    no good. copied to usb, ejected, opened wosqi command line window, copied above command, and here's what it did:

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Palm>"C:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/novacom.exe" -
    d f97f160e838599353dea7caa45c5695447f97b38 -t open tty://
    root@TMcPre2sHPPre:/# ←[J

root@TMcPre2sHPPre:/#
    root@TMcPre2sHPPre:/# ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/Provisioner
    _1.0.0-28_armv7.ipk
    ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/Provisioner
    _1.0.0-28_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of provisioner
    Installing provisioner (1.0.0-28) to root...
    Configuring provisioner
    root@TMcPre2sHPPre:/#
    root@TMcPre2sHPPre:/# novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Palm>

the 'closed' line above occurred after waiting 10 mins then disc. the phone from the computer.
    i rebooted, opened the phone app, but no change with the updater options. they both say provisioning svc not avail.

things i'm now wondering:
    - did i not install it right...was it done when it returned to root prompt after configuring or not??
    - does it need something else, an external file to refer to that i didn't copy over from the sprint tar?
    - is my meta sprint franken dr. config preventing it somehow? one of the confusing things about my franken install is that my device info (and i assume its token values too) still say Verizon and Pre2 model number. i've read those values needed to match the sprint comm board, but the conversion instructions say token values aren't needed any longer so i never worried about it.

are the token values of consideration any longer? does the OP also need to check if their phone has its own, or the comm board's identity and token values?

of course the goal here is to test if this provisioning ipk will communicate to sprint at all with an active phone, then the OP may have something to aim for with their partially active phone.
    From your output (installing APP) and with the Phone Preferences changed I think you did them both correct...

I think the issue is the Provisioner is designed around webOS 2.0.0/2.0.1

So based on your tokens being a Verizon Pre2, you should be able to install the webOS 2.0.1 stock doctor.

Modify the system preferences values and install the Provisioner App then it might work?

So I think for the Provisioner to work under webOS 2.2.4 it would have to be re-designed (updated) to handle the new ENYO Phone App.

It also might work under webOS 2.1.0, but I think you have proved it does not work with webOS 2.2.4.

So unless you wish to test this (on your production Phone, which you may loose everything saves/games/files on media/etc...), or you have another Sprint modified Pre2 to test with? Or maybe next time you have to re-doctor?

I want to thank you for at least testing this on webOS 2.2.4.

FYI there was a real Sprint Pre2 (http://www.webosnation.com/c40-sprin...re-2-never-was) which might have the correct version of the Provisioner for webOS 2.2.4, build 145, although nobody has ever posted they have this device, but I would love to get a copy of the ROM, I could then make an updated Provisioner app based on someones backup rights...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/18/2013 at 01:57 PM.
    From your output (installing APP) and with the Phone Preferences changed I think you did them both correct...

I think the issue is the Provisioner is designed around webOS 2.0.0/2.0.1

So based on your tokens being a Verizon Pre2, you should be able to install the webOS 2.0.1 stock doctor.

Modify the system preferences values and install the Provisioner App then it might work?

So I think for the Provisioner to work under webOS 2.2.4 it would have to be re-designed (updated) to handle the new ENYO Phone App.

It also might work under webOS 2.1.0, but I think you have proved it does not work with webOS 2.2.4.

So unless you wish to test this (on your production Phone, which you may loose everything saves/games/files on media/etc...), or you have another Sprint modified Pre2 to test with? Or maybe next time you have to re-doctor?

I want to thank you for at least testing this on webOS 2.2.4.

FYI there was a real Sprint Pre2 (This is the C40: the Sprint Palm Pre 2 that never was | webOS Nation) which might have the correct version of the Provisioner for webOS 2.2.4, build 145, although nobody has ever posted they have this device, but I would love to get a copy of the ROM, I could then make an updated Provisioner app based on someones backup rights...
    nooope. i do not want to roll back, or in any way upset this particular install of 2.2.4. its working pretty well. urges to kill phone have declined. lol

the only other test i can think of now, is if the OP were to obtain and run this Sprintified doctor, which has the right provisioner and the right version of webOS, it may kick his EV on. i'll see if i can guide him to a source. but if Sprint CS reset his comm board ID and blew out the ported token values, this dr. won't run. it'll deny the model, which is why i couldn't run it, if i had it.

a real sprint Pre2. that dream faded. now i want a real sprint Pre3. with 4G! aww!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/18/2013 at 03:54 PM.
    nooope. i do not want to roll back, or in any way upset this particular install of 2.2.4. its working pretty well. urges to kill phone have declined. lol

the only other test i can think of now, is if the OP were to obtain and run this Sprintified doctor, which has the right provisioner and the right version of webOS, it may kick his EV on. i'll see if i can guide him to a source.

a real sprint Pre2. that dream faded. now i want a real sprint Pre3. with 4G! aww!
    The leaked webOS 2.x doctor with the Provisioner only works on the Pre, it is available (Google it), but as it only works on the Palm Pre, he will not be able to use that leaked webOS 2.x source, except if he used a webOS 2.0.x Pre2 build and then installed the webOS 2.x provisioner. (We know webOS 2.2.4 will not work with this version of the Provisioner, however, still to be tested is webOS 2.0.0, 2.0.1, and 2.1.0).

Now if the Palm Pre2 C40 ROM was leaked via a backup source, well then by US copyright the device owner has a full right to backup/restore their source and store it anywhere they want, and if they decide to store it on a USB stick/dropbox link and it comes in my hands, I will produce an IPK with the webOS 2.2.4 build 145 provisioner.
    The leaked webOS 2.x doctor with the Provisioner only works on the Pre, it is available (Google it), but as it only works on the Palm Pre, he will not be able to use that leaked webOS 2.x source, except if he used a webOS 2.0.x Pre2 build and then installed the webOS 2.x provisioner.

Now if the Palm Pre2 C40 ROM was leaked via a backup source, well then by US copyright the device owner has a full right to backup/restore their source and store it anywhere they want, and if they decide to store it on a USB stick/dropbox link and it comes in my hands, I will produce an IPK with the webOS 2.2.4 build 145 provisioner.
    oh. maybe THAT is why it couldn't work.

well then if only someone knew where that phone was that Derek had a chance to review. because it really is important to have backups. you can't have too many backups. like giving your friend a spare key. it's proactive!

well then if only someone knew where that phone was that Derek had a chance to review. because it really is important to have backups. you can't have too many backups. like giving your friend a spare key. it's proactive!
    Someone knows, because it was sold (I believe to a forum member) at some point. I can't remember if it was part of one of those auctions or posted for sale or what.. Pretty sure there is a post about it. I wanted to buy it, but not bad enough.

Well the Sprint users can dream... Next time you have to doctor and you want to give it a shot, you can try the Verizon webOS 2.0.1 doctor (as you have a Verizon Pre2), then you can attempt the PRL and network updates (make sure you change the false to true and install the provisioner), also be warned the stock webOS doctor force a modem update (backdate as that would be, from RC1.8 to RC1.7) so I would make a metadoctor and disable the modem update portion. But if you did you can then always install the Verizon webOS 2.1.0 update just to update the modem back to RC1.8. Then for those that did the WR Pre2 webOS 2.0.0, it would discover you are a CDMA and would not flash the GSM firmware, as the CDMA firmware is a zero byte file in the WR Pre2 builds
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Is there an update on this?

I resurrected my Verizon franken pre 2 to run on a Sprint MVNO. I was able to get talk and text but no data. Its running a metadoctor for 2.2.4.

I've forgotten how to create a metadoctor for an earlier version but I guess I could revisit the steps if there was a way to get data.

ps forgotten how nice webOS is--it holds up ok almost 7 years later.
    I just read my own comments in this thread and don't even remember making them.

Did you confirm that you have data set to ON in the phone settings?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    It's simply not possible. The modem has to be put back into a Sprint Pre and activated (which will require running devicetool.jar to bypass Palm Profile activation), then put into the Pre2. If it goes back into the same Pre2, and no carrier settings were changed, there is no reason to re-run the metadoctor. I've gotten pretty good at modem swaps.. I did one at the race track last month while tailgating before the race.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Wow thanks for responses. Long Live webOS.

1. Before I saw what you both wrote, I ran the verizon 2.1 webos doctor which I had saved to my hard drive moons ago,then I installed the provisioner IPK referenced in thread, also on my hard drive.
    I assume it installed correctly (see lines at bottom of profile).

2. Yes, data is on.

3. This time, instead of just spinning when I tried to update network preferences in phone dialer (it just spun on 2.2.4), I get an error message:

The error reads: the network settings could not be updated. try again later. If problem persists call sprint.
    error 1012.

I tried ##MSL#, even though calls and texts were already working on the MVNO. Then I shut the phone off and turned it back on. I still get the same 1012 error.

Did a full reset of phone ##786# and typing in MSL as per XDA thread below. Still same error
    [Q] Error 1012 no matter what Sprint or I do - Pg. 2 | HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G | XDA Forums

Since there was a full reset which wiped the phone, I wonder if it kept the provisioner file. Tried to reinstall just in case and got read-only file system error.

Terminal output of initial install of provisioner file:
    root@palm-webos:/# ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/Provisioner_1.0
    .0-28_armv7.ipk
    Configuring provisioner
    root@palm-webos:/#
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Wow thanks for responses. Long Live webOS.

1. Before I saw what you both wrote, I ran the verizon 2.1 webos doctor which I had saved to my hard drive moons ago,then I installed the provisioner IPK referenced in thread, also on my hard drive.
    I assume it installed correctly (see lines at bottom of profile).

2. Yes, data is on.

3. This time, instead of just spinning when I tried to update network preferences in phone dialer (it just spun on 2.2.4), I get an error message:

The error reads: the network settings could not be updated. try again later. If problem persists call sprint.
    error 1012.

I tried ##MSL#, even though calls and texts were already working on the MVNO. Then I shut the phone off and turned it back on. I still get the same 1012 error.

Did a full reset of phone ##786# and typing in MSL as per XDA thread below. Still same error
    [Q] Error 1012 no matter what Sprint or I do - Pg. 2 | HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G | XDA Forums

Since there was a full reset which wiped the phone, I wonder if it kept the provisioner file. Tried to reinstall just in case and got read-only file system error.

Terminal output of initial install of provisioner file:
    root@palm-webos:/# ipkg install -force-overwrite /media/internal/Provisioner_1.0
    .0-28_armv7.ipk
    Configuring provisioner
    root@palm-webos:/#
    Whoa, whoa, you did a full reset with ##786? And the MSL? Awww...

That's when you blew out the Sprint modem settings. Move the modem back to original sprint pre- as Grabber stated above. Start over.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12