Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm in need of a new mobile phone. I also love webos although I'm rocking an Android now... I'd like to use webos again. My mobile needs are fairly simple.. FB, twitter, music, SMS, email, no games.

Is a Pre 2 a good choice today?

By the way, a Pre3 would be ideal but the price difference makes me want a pre2 as long as I won't regret it.

Thought?
    It will do fine! Facebook: Has an app (didn't use it lately though), Twitter: Use Project Macaw, Music: Stock or Music Player Remix, SMS, Email, Calendar all work ok

Pre2 can be gotten quite cheap, there are a lot of overclocked kernels to make it run a bit faster as well Pre3 can be found for good prices, but you need to be lucky.

You need GSM or VZW CDMA?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I have a pre2 and feel no pressure to switch. What webos device did you have before?
    I have a Pre2 as only phone in daily use and an other one in spare.
    My private contacts/calendar/tasks sync via eas (of my own synology/zarafa-cloud) and same for work via employers-eas additionally to those some google calendars and all of that synergized in the stock apps
    Mail also via eas and imap-push.

On top of the above mentioned there is no dedicated dlna-music app (i know of) so i use synology music player for my nas.

I like the smaller formfactor of the pre2 over the pre3 an EU modell of pre3 is crippled (memwise) but has way better cam.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have a pre2 and feel no pressure to switch. What webos device did you have before?
    I had a TouchPad. But my needs on a tablet are more than on a phone. I got rid of it in favor of an Android one. It does the job but I really like webos over the others, I'm a big Windows Phone fan too.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    I have a Pre2 as only phone in daily use and an other one in spare.
    My private contacts/calendar/tasks sync via eas (of my own synology/zarafa-cloud) and same for work via employers-eas additionally to those some google calendars and all of that synergized in the stock apps
    Mail also via eas and imap-push.

On top of the above mentioned there is no dedicated dlna-music app (i know of) so i use synology music player for my nas.

I like the smaller formfactor of the pre2 over the pre3 an EU modell of pre3 is crippled (memwise) but has way better cam.
    I use a Pre2. Mode Switcher is the main reason I have not switched. I have different configurations for the phone depending upon whether I am connected to wifi and the specific wifi network. The only reason I have thought about switching is the cameras are very nice on the new Android phones.

The only thing I do not like about the WebOS Facebook app is that there is a filter that needs to be toggled to view different friends, groups and newsfeed lists. On my computer everything shows up on one view. It may be that I just needed to set things up differently.
    I still have a pre2. works fine for me.

If your needs are fairly simple the you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jefbeard911 View Post
    I had a TouchPad. But my needs on a tablet are more than on a phone. I got rid of it in favor of an Android one. It does the job but I really like webos over the others, I'm a big Windows Phone fan too.
    You can come back and use ACL on your Touchpad soon Will run most Android apps without issues and you can enjoy all the goodness of webOS

Which carrier are you on? AT&T, T-Mobile or VZW?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You can come back and use ACL on your Touchpad soon Will run most Android apps without issues and you can enjoy all the goodness of webOS

Which carrier are you on? AT&T, T-Mobile or VZW?
    What carrier? Well, I live overseas in Viet Nam so we have different ones. Everything is 3g and prepaid Sims. No worries, it costs me less that $10 /month, including data..

Forgot to mention that I'm also considering the Veer. Never seen in person so if I get it it will be bought sight unseen. I'm worried that the screen is too small..
    I think if you coming from touchpad you will like webos on a phone even more.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    What carrier? Well, I live overseas in Viet Nam so we have different ones. Everything is 3g and prepaid Sims. No worries, it costs me less that $10 /month, including data..

Forgot to mention that I'm also considering the Veer. Never seen in person so if I get it it will be bought sight unseen. I'm worried that the screen is too small..
    Ah ok since you live in Vietnam, I guess you guys have GSM I personally have quite big hands and the Veer is OK for me actually as a daily driver In portrait it fits in my hand twice, in landscape about 3,5 times
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Ah ok since you live in Vietnam, I guess you guys have GSM I personally have quite big hands and the Veer is OK for me actually as a daily driver In portrait it fits in my hand twice, in landscape about 3,5 times
    Yep, GSM, when it works.. Hihi..
    I've yet to see a single phone that makes me think "time to switch".. heck, not a single phone has managed to get me to care whatsoever.

I hear a lot of "my phone can't do this or that due to the flavour of the version of Android in it", "I don't know how to do this or that, can you help?" or similar.

And the most that I do see, is a lot of phones getting "new and amazing features" that makes me say..."hey, they're starting to catch up!".
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 11/15/2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    ananimus and jefbeard911 like this.
    Ok, I'm in need of a new mobile phone. I also love webos although I'm rocking an Android now... I'd like to use webos again. My mobile needs are fairly simple.. FB, twitter, music, SMS, email, no games.

Is a Pre 2 a good choice today?

By the way, a Pre3 would be ideal but the price difference makes me want a pre2 as long as I won't regret it.

Thought?
    If you are only on 3G service, then you are one of the best candidates for a Pre2.

I had a Pre3 for a while, didn't find the 4G worth giving up unlimited 3G, so backstepped to a Pre2.

I have several each gmail and hotmail accts, facebook, photobucket, all synch'd to the Pre2. I do use google calendar and contacts as the default, so it always resynch's no problem.

I use streaming internet radio every day no problem.

I'm paired to a stereo bluetooth headset every day.

I LOVE how gmail chat and SMS conversations flow together in webOS chat. (I am SO sick of the new google hangouts chat app. They really blew it with that one.)

I use the phone as my hot spot for like 8 hours every day lately. It's powerin my laptop to type to you now.

i have navit gps, mw.weather.com for mobile weather, and a dozen spare batteries, various chargers, and touchstones everywhere i can plug one in.

The Pre2 is an awesome 3G smartphone and that's why they're still so expensive on fleabay. One weakness is the camera, compared to newer phones. But it's still plenty adequate with flash.

If you have access to HSPA+ service, then consider a Veer. Otherwise, the Pre2 is the one you want.

Good luck.
    Yeah, I'd say in the middle weight category, the Pre 2 is solid. Standard microUSB, SIM (GSM) and 3.5 mm headphone jack. Transflective screen (best phone I've had in daylight) with adequate 320x480 res. Not too small since you have the slide out qwerty for typing. By far, the Pre 2 experienced the least memory-related issues of all the webOS phones IMHO, including the Pre 3. Camera is only so-so, mostly because of the EDOF camera. I take close ups of things for work, so this was always annoying. Flash is nice though and is patchable to a flashlight which I used often. All in all, a fantastic, uncluttered and zippy phone if you mostly just want seamless email and calendar integration with some smartphone ability. That's true of all webOS phones now though. And spare batteries, etc, can be gotten for super cheap!

Tried the Veer briefly. Size is awesome for portability, which I loved. I thought the reduced pixel count pretty seriously hurt the web browsing. Just shows the Pre 2 is sitting right on the edge of the cliff. Really didn't like the non-standard connectors or the lack of webOS 2.2.4 (aside from the homebrewed doctor, which breaks stereo headphones to mono).

Now onto the Pre 3. Also HSPA+ (though slower than the Veer's). Only a little larger than a Pre 2, but slimmer so it still fits nice in a pocket. Some things are a stretch using one hand, now with the Pre 3 sitting just on the edge of "too big." Bit snappier since it has more horsepower. *Sharp* 480x800 pixel count makes browsing less of a chore than either of the other two, but not transflective so it suffers a bit in daylight without brightness cranked up. All standard jacks. Full webOS 2.2.4. Still not an awesome camera, but it is AF so close ups aren't blurry. Like it enough I just picked up a spare! If you're very patient and quick, you can find them for $150 (or less... )
    Last edited by ananimus; 11/15/2013 at 06:29 PM.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    The web browser on the Pre 2 is dated. I could not use BofA site anymore. If I could get the Pre 3 on sprint, I would have. My Franken Pre 2 had a cracked case, 75% battery, persistent ghastly headset, and dated browser

I finally jumped ship back to android. I got to tell you, the Moto X is a great phone. Not too big, the active notifications and touchless control is great. I still prefer webOS, but this phone does make up in other areas.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    My Franken Pre 2 had a cracked case, 75% battery, persistent ghastly headset, and dated browser
    Last I checked, you could get a "new" OG Pre battery for like $3 shipped.

Fair point about the browser though. Even on the Pre 3, it acts a little funny sometimes, though for me it's never as bad as everyone here lets on.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    The web browser on the Pre 2 is dated. I could not use BofA site anymore. If I could get the Pre 3 on sprint, I would have. My Franken Pre 2 had a cracked case, 75% battery, persistent ghastly headset, and dated browser

I finally jumped ship back to android. I got to tell you, the Moto X is a great phone. Not too big, the active notifications and touchless control is great. I still prefer webOS, but this phone does make up in other areas.
    I've had two Android phones in the past 3 years, both were '' state of the art'' (current one is a quad core Jerry bean 5" screen jobby, yet it's still frustrates me to no end. Random configuration changes and unsyncing of previously synced accounts, lost user settings after app upgrades, constant lag with just a few apps open, ect ect. This is not what a modern smartphone experience should be like. Both my Windows Phone and WebOS tablet just worked. The novelty of having the newest and coolest newsreader and photo editor wore off long ago. Just looking for a nice, easy phone experience that I don't have to manipulate all the time. Both WebOS and WP give me that. The fact that I can get a new pre2 with wireless charger for less than $100 really excited me... There, I'm done venting..
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Because you only have 3G, I think the Pre 2 would be a solid choice, though IMO the Pre 3 is distinctly better. (I own both.) I personally would also consider a Blackberry 10 OS smartphone if I were you; BB10 is by far the most similar mobile OS to webOS of the "modern" mobile OS out there. I own a Z10, and it is a very solid device. If a physical keyboard is important, the Q10 is also available. (I personally think the Q10 screen is too small, but its screen size is similar to the Pre 2.)

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    Because you only have 3G, I think the Pre 2 would be a solid choice, though IMO the Pre 3 is distinctly better. (I own both.) I personally would also consider a Blackberry 10 OS smartphone if I were you; BB10 is by far the most similar mobile OS to webOS of the "modern" mobile OS out there. I own a Z10, and it is a very solid device. If a physical keyboard is important, the Q10 is also available. (I personally think the Q10 screen is too small, but its screen size is similar to the Pre 2.)
    I briefly considered the Z10. I'm OK with BB and it's ultimate demise (IMO) but where I live, Viet Nam, phones are not
    Subsidized so it's $500 USD. I don't think I've get 5x times the benefit from it over the pre 2 (100 bucks new with wireless charger). Its not all about the cost. Z10 is really nice. Just sayin not 500 nice.
    ananimus likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast