Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 3 Post By imfallen_angel
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I have said my last goodbyes to my webOS devices...and am ready to sell them off. It is indeed a sad day. This community has been a great place to learn just enough to be dangerous when it comes to tinkering with the webOS devices I have. And I thank everyone of you who have posted here and provided all support that HP never did.

I have questions about how to properly prepare webos phones for sale. I know to do a factory reset...but what about my webos account. And how do I ensure that a buyer will be able to use the phone I sell to them..specifically what do i need to do so they can activate the phone with HP/palm. I have a Palm Pre 2, Touchpad, and broken (SIM pins torn out) Veer to sell. I'm not trying to sell them here...I'll use the marketplace or ebay to do that.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to get answers to these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtshoff View Post
    I have said my last goodbyes to my webOS devices...and am ready to sell them off. It is indeed a sad day. This community has been a great place to learn just enough to be dangerous when it comes to tinkering with the webOS devices I have. And I thank everyone of you who have posted here and provided all support that HP never did.

I have questions about how to properly prepare webos phones for sale. I know to do a factory reset...but what about my webos account. And how do I ensure that a buyer will be able to use the phone I sell to them..specifically what do i need to do so they can activate the phone with HP/palm. I have a Palm Pre 2, Touchpad, and broken (SIM pins torn out) Veer to sell. I'm not trying to sell them here...I'll use the marketplace or ebay to do that.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to get answers to these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
    your webos account doesn't stick around on the phone, once reset, its gone on that phone. Also make sure you didn't leave files in the USB storage.
    I'm not sure, maybe bypassing activation or disclosing it for them would work.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    There are others more qualified than me to answer the technical stuff, but...

1. For the photographs and the eventual buyer, clean the devices thoroughly, inside and out. (for that 'new phone' feel, or close as possible)

2. The 'full service' would be to set up the phone with a new profile. Ask the buyer for their email or use a one-off disposable address if you need to click a confirmation link (can't remember!). Then you can do the whole app catalogue thing (even install Preware?) so the phone is ready to go and email a password when you ship the device. Then the buyer just has to log in once to update password and email - everything already works!

Bookmark this forum in the browser of course! ;-)
    If you have images and/or documents that you are worried about a new user trying to recover... I'd suggest running CCleaner and wiping the free space of that USB partition after you delete all the items. Wiping it will keep a new user from being able to run an app like Recova to undelete files. Perhaps I'm more paranoid than some, but you never know...
    Preemptive and xandros9 like this.
    Fire.. fire is the only way to be certain....
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Well, thank you all for the suggestions. I just want to be sure once i do the factory reset that the next person will be able to register the phone to activate it. Will that be possible by my having performed the factory reset?
    To be absolutely sure they can use it, just sell it here on the Marketplace forum.

Honestly wish I'd done that when I sold the panda Veer I tried. The guy I craigslisted it to was more than a little confused when he bought it. After the fact, the above thought struck me as the only way to be reasonably sure someone familiar with webOS would get it.

Otherwise, I'd just Secure Full Erase then Doctor it. Closest thing to fire. They should be able to set up a Profile, but to get apps they'll need to know about the procedure for Root Certificate fix.